Thread: The new cat is taking over!!!

The new cat is taking over!!!

We have a cat that has been with us for over 10 years. A year ago, we adopted a new cat after our other cat (22 years old) died to keep her company. It started out hostile and has gotten increasingly worse by the day. Although I love both cats, I am about ready to give the newer cat away. She has taken to harassing and badgering the older cat nonstop. It is taking a toll on the entire household, especially the older cat. Both cats are sweet and wonderful within their own rights, but the older one has been with us so long, I can't think of her spending the rest of her life hiding under the furniture to avoid the younger cat If anyone has any suggestion on how to handle this probelm please help me. My seven year old is very attached to the younger cat and would be very upset if we gave her away. Both cats are female and there are no other problems with either cat.
    ann155

Hey I have this problem going on know too. Mr Foggy has harrased them all. Even my husband and I to death. But please keep in mind that most cats are very very smart. We have adopted a spray bottle full of water. And everytime we see him harrasing we give him a straight squirt and and a loud voice that says NO. So know we are at the stage of two things, one -wesay no and he runs, or two be pick up the spray bottle and shake it and he hears it and runs. So we are making much needed progress. Please consider this method, it has worked for many of us. Right know your new freind is still young, and it is completely normal for them to want to play, which we call harrasing. She will grow out of it. Get her fixed and give her time, and a few no's and squirts.

Good luck

It is very likely that your newer, younger cat just needs a playmate more her "speed". An older cat can take offense to the attentions of a young cat wanting to play and be bothersome all the time. Make sure the younger cats has a wide variety of things to do, climb and play with and make sure to spend as much time as possible with her.