Thread: Jack Russel

Jack Russel

Hi all, my parents recentlly brought home an adorable Jack Russel pup. He is one hyper little guy he is 10 weeks old. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on stoping him from chewing things he shouldn't (he has TONS of toys) the word no doesn't work with him as his name is Noah. I realize that he is young and that some things are expected but they think that they should start now while he is young. Also if anyone knows of any good websites for Jack Russels that would be awesome.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    ~~Wendy~~
    Slave to the Nifty 9
    Luna (U2)
    Sydney (M2)
    Meko (CAG)
    Keko (TAG)
    Savannah (Sennie)
    Freebie & Beanie (Tiels)
    Leilani (B&G)
    Itty Bitty (Caique)
    The hiper 2
    Sassy & Cassie (rat terrier mixes)
    & the crazy cats
    Luna
    Mufussa
    Crystal

because his name is noah no definatly will not work so make up a sound to replace no with I use ehh I say it loud and harsh and it works .. to get it established that no means bad I would have a squirt gun ready and when she did something bad I would say ehh and then squirt her one second later if she didn't stop .. now I just say ehh no more need for the squirt bottle..

also to help the chewing problem try getting kongs and bones for noah to chew on and put sour apple/bitter apple spray or tabasco sauce on things noah chews that you do not want noah to chew on..

3. Hi There!

Welcome to PT!

I won a JRT! Lexi, you can see her in my siggy down below! nd she is 9 months old, the biting thing may be teething but i you can get anti-chew reppellent, you can use it on anything! You can pick it up at a pet store or Wal-mart, thats where I got it! It doesn't stink to you, but to the dog it does!

He will probably not get "NO" if his name is "NOah" like you said!
    Anyways, I use "EASY" oh Lexi, and that is the only thing that works! Not no, not ehh, and not off!

Hope this helps!

P.S. The spray bottle trick works, if he lets go as well, of the bad thing and then give him his toy and he starts playing with it, praise him, never use his name when punishing for something he did, he will mis-interrupt that as a sign that his name is bad!

I agree I often use "BAAA!" or some noise that really scares them straight lol is sort of a deep squawking sound that I make from my chest and throut at the same time lol my friend thinks its the funniest sound ever, but it works like a charm! while we were walking her dogs and one of mine, everytime Dakota(her dog) kept turning around to get on Happys(my dog) nerves, I made that noise, he immedietly turned around and walked nicely lol also if you catch him chewing on something take one of his toys and trade, like "you give me that, and I will give you this" kinda thing. but if that does not work try the scary sound lol jacks can be rather hard headed, so start training him now.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I use 'Oi!' for Trixie..

=)
    Trixie's Togs
    .: for dogs who trot the wild side :.

hi and welcome to Pet Talk.

you might want to check http://www.terrier.com to find out more about jack russell terriers.

I also own a jack russell who likes to chew. I put tabasco sauce (or you can use bitter apple) on things I don't want her to chew like cables and furnitures and it works. I still haven't found a way to discourage her from chewing the kitchen wall though

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Thank you soo much for all your suggestions, I will pass them along to my parents.
    ~~Wendy~~
    Slave to the Nifty 9
    Luna (U2)
    Sydney (M2)
    Meko (CAG)
    Keko (TAG)
    Savannah (Sennie)
    Freebie & Beanie (Tiels)
    Leilani (B&G)
    Itty Bitty (Caique)
    The hiper 2
    Sassy & Cassie (rat terrier mixes)