Thread: Birds

Birds

I was admiring Merlin this morning and just wondered about something that his owner posted. They said "when he goes out." I am assuming when he does go out it is in a cage. Am I correct? The reason I ask is that I have read other stories where I think the bird owner took him out on a shoulder, etc. My question (probably silly) is why don't they fly away? Can you train a bird to stay on your shoulder, even if it's outside? My bird ignorance is showing. I would love to have a bird, but we have a set-back thermostat in our house and I am afraid it would be too cold for birds in the overnight hours. Please give this "cat/dog person" some "bird knowledge." Thanks

The flight feathers are simply cut off painlessly. It's just like cutting hair, it's all dead and it's totally painless. They grow back continuously, just like hair. I had a goffins cockatoo (the closes thing I have ever had to a human baby, she was an angel) and she'd lift out her beautiful, warm wing and hold it out for me so I cut her flight feathers. Most birds will fly away if given the chance, so it's a wise thing to do to a bird that has playtime outside of it's cage.

People should not clip a canary's feathers, or a finch, or any other bird that's not a parrot. They can't adapt to the loss of their flight.

Thank you for that answer! That is something I never thought of. See, I told you I lack bird knowledge!! How sweet that your bird offered you her wing. I had a parakeet years and years ago and taught him to say "Hi Cutie." That's about it for my bird experience. I loved the way he would tilt his little head when I talked to him.

Pam,

Just to let you know, that was a good question, it was not silly at all. If all bird owners were aware of the dangers of having fully featherd winged birds, there would not be accidents where the bird takes off and never comes back. Sometimes people just don't know that they could do that to their birds, and sometimes people just get lazy and think just one or 2 flight feathers that has grown back is not enough to give the bird "liftoff" which is sad, because just one outgrown flight feather and the right wind conditions is enough to give a bird liftoff into the tree tops.

As for the temperature in your home...what do you keep the temp at? As long as it's not anywhere near drafts it should be able to handle temps around 66 to 67 deg. F. If the bird is from a very good breeder and has been raised on healthy foods, grains, veggies and pastas, vitamin supplements, it's imune system is going to be much greater then a bird who was raised on seed alone. That's another thing not many people know about birds, they should get a generous serving of as much of a variety of healthy stuff as you can fit into it's dish Seeds should be given in small dosages, if at all, and veggies, pellets, cooked rices of all types, fruits, homemade, preservite-free breads and other yummy stuff should be the main staple. As long as the diet is good and it's from a good breeding facility and it's not near drafts of any kind (not near windows or doors in the winter or not near vents blowing air conditioner in the summer it should be fine. If you are cold then the bird is probablly slightly more cold. I always moved my birds away from the window in the wintertime and closer to the heat vent. Then when summer came I moved them back so they could get natural light, and have something to look at while we were gone at work for the day.

Sorry to babble on. I have had parakeets as a kid growing up and I was totally unaware of the proper care of birds, so don't feel bad if you did not know this stuff. I worked at a pet store that specialized in fish (which I still know nothing about) and parrots. I learned alot.

Adore...Thank you so much for all of the information. I am still marveling over the flight feathers thing! Wow! My setback thermostat goes automatically to 65 degrees at midnight and then back up to 71 around 6:00 a.m. so might just "squeek by" temperature-wise. When I had my parakeet I would let him out each day to fly around and he would come back to my finger and allow himself to be placed back in his cage. At the time that I had him, I didn't have cats like I do now. If I did that today I would have to have him in an isolated room with the door closed for his "flying time," judging by how interested they are at the birdies outside at the feeder. It is definitely something to think about. Regarding fish.....now there is a topic that is big in this house! My husband has had fish for 20 years! Right now we have only two tanks set up, a 75 gallon and a 60 gallon. At one time there were four tanks in this house (my son also adopted the hobby and also worked at tropical fish store like you did). We have had ALL kinds of fish (salt water and fresh water). Right now he has mainly African Cichlids in both tanks. The fish live happily with the cats (at least I hope the fish are happy). The cats sit in front of the tanks and their heads go back and forth by the hour watching them swim. The fish don't seem to mind. (Guess they don't realize what would happen if the cats were able to get to them. ) Well, I am babbling, but just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your informative note. There are so many helpful knowledgeable people at Pet Talk!!!

hello,I was reading your statement about your thermastate. idon't know about anyone else but, I have a parrot and I live in North Dakota, Here we get the coldest winters possible in dec 2000 it got 80 degrees below which in 50 below your skin can get frost bite in less then 30 seconds if not covered. don't get me wrong but if you have ever heard the statement "hell freezes over " that is here and my parrot does just fine we just turn the thermostat up to 75-80 and it doen't bother him at all he sleeps a little more then but, we all do in weather like that, especially on days when we are colder then Antartica. I also know that our vet has a Maca and she is 10 yrs old she was born here from a breader and my vet has never had a problem either. If you want to get a bird I would find out how far back your thermastat is set by your gas or electric company first then you should be able to fix or correct it.
    Originally posted by Pam:
    I was admiring Merlin this morning and just wondered about something that his owner posted. They said "when he goes out." I am assuming when he does go out it is in a cage. Am I correct? The reason I ask is that I have read other stories where I think the bird owner took him out on a shoulder, etc. My question (probably silly) is why don't they fly away? Can you train a bird to stay on your shoulder, even if it's outside? My bird ignorance is showing. I would love to have a bird, but we have a set-back thermostat in our house and I am afraid it would be too cold for birds in the overnight hours. Please give this "cat/dog person" some "bird knowledge." Thanks

I have a bird, and we turn our thermostat up at night, because its body is so small and fragile.