Thread: Hyper Hyper Dog

Hyper Hyper Dog

I got a dog from the shelter about 3 or 4 months ago. Not until after the trial period did her true nature start to show. She is an extremely active and hyper dog. We named her Happy due to her constant wagging tail and hyper personality. However, her behavior needs to stop and we really don't know how to control her. I've dealt with hyper dogs before but nothing like her. Not only does she jump up on everyone, but she chews, digs, burrys bones (seriously), play bites, barks into all hours of the nite and NEVER settles down. We've taken her on very long walks. She'll be thirsty after we get back, but never does she tire. I've been temtping obedience class but if she acts this way at a home she';s been at for a few months, I dont want to imagine what she would be like in public. Anyway, the point I'm getting at is a way to make her settle down and/or break and of her bad habits. Any help is so greatly appreciated

How old is she and what breed is she?

Sounds like she's bored to me. It might seem like a long walk to you, but if she's not tired, it wasn't far enough. A tired dog is a good dog.

Obedience class could only help. No point waiting until she's well behaved to take her to class--No dogs would ever go if everyone waited for that!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I agree - obedience classes are a must. Remember also, that you can tire a dog out with mental stimulation as well as physical stimulation. Training sessions go a long way to help a dog tire out - working on basic commands would help a great deal. There are also exercises you can do with dogs during the winter months that will help tire a dog out. Things like tossing a ball up the stairs and having the dog fetch it by going up and down stairs. You could also use a stuffed Kong or a Buster Cube, which can keep them occupied for hours.

If the dog gets along with other dogs, Doggie Daycare once or twice a week would help. When Leo was younger (and was acting exactly how you are describing) doggie daycare saved my sanity. After a day of romping with other dogs, he was pooped for two solid days.

Good Luck

Ditto on everything Glacier and Clara said. Her behavior is a big reason why dogs get turned into shelters in the first place. They go from being cute little puppies with no manners (but who cares it's so cute) to puppies in a grown dog's body with no manners (now it's not cute). She's depending on you to teach her how to properly behave. Don't worry about how she's going to act in public when you start a training class. If the other people in the class had well behaved dogs, they wouldn't be in the class either.

She just turned a year old day after a christmas and she is a chow mix. I'd assume chow/shepherd She adorable and I love her to death, she's just so hyper she doesnt listen to anyone. If we go outside to play with her, she gets so happy and excited she runs in circles around our spa forever. I dont want to tire her out exactly, just find ways to make her listen. Thanks for the tips

Originally posted by kinkyeeyore
    She just turned a year old day after a christmas and she is a chow mix. I'd assume chow/shepherd She adorable and I love her to death, she's just so hyper she doesnt listen to anyone. If we go outside to play with her, she gets so happy and excited she runs in circles around our spa forever. I dont want to tire her out exactly, just find ways to make her listen. Thanks for the tips
    That running around in circles is called by some trainers as FRAP (Frantic Random Activity phenomenon - I think ) Leo used to do it also. I usually let him get this out of his system before I ever tried to work with him.

When you say you want him to listen to you - what have you tried so far? The thing you have to remember is that dogs don't speak the same language that we do and many times have no idea what we want them to do. In order to get him to listen, you need to have something that is better than the sock that he has, or the pillow he is chewing, or the face he is licking. Find something that he absolutely loves and make him do something for it. Pieces of chicken, hot dog, liver treats, even cheerios can work wonders on teaching a dog what you want. You don't even have to put commands to it at first. Is he sitting quietly? give him a treat or a scratch behind the ears. Is he doing something you don't like? leave the room. Reward good behavior and ignore bad behavior. You will also need some management steps to help you at this stage. Shoes, socks, pillows, etc. need to be put behind closed doors. Set him up for success. At a year old, he is in that adolescent stage, so it is going to take a great deal of committment and effort - but boy what fun it is in the end.

thanks so much for the tips! Your picture of Sam is adorable!

Originally posted by kinkyeeyore
    If we go outside to play with her, she gets so happy and excited she runs in circles around our spa forever. I dont want to tire her out exactly, just find ways to make her listen. Thanks for the tips
    I'm assuming by the way you worded this that she is an outside dog?

I have two Dalmatians in my house and hyper is not a word we are allowed to use.....but it is a word that is often associated with them.
    They are very very energetic dogs!!!

I am going back a few years and going to say that you may be experiencing the teen time. There was a time when my dogs drove me nuts becuase they wouldn't settle down. They were about 10 months till and they were about a year and a half old till they final started to get what I was saying when I said "SETTLE".

I used the food/treat system and this still works to this day 5 years later. They wil sit still for minutes at a time not moving if I have a treat in my hand.

Patience and let your Pup grow up a bit!! good luck!!!!!