Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help For The Timid Dog

Help For The Timid Dog

Does anyone have any experience raising a shy, timid dog?
    I adopted Smokey at 8 wks old and he has always been a very
    quiet, shy dog. The list of things that frighten him is a long one.
    I've tried everything to raise his confidence with dog obedience
    classes (2) and displaying a calm manner with him when he does
    show fear ( strange noises, t-storms, fire hydrants ,
    or anything else, but he cannot seem to overcome his fears.

I guess my question is, does anyone think he can ever overcome
    these fears with training? I have never had a dog with this
    problem before Smokey, and it is very frustratiing & heartbreaking
    for me to deal with. I'm sure Smokey could be so much happier if he could overcome some of this. Is it possible?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have heard many great things about this book:

I've seen it recommended to others with shy dogs many times over on other boards I belong to. I found it on Amazon.com for $5.95

One good exercise to teach Smokey would be to touch a target. This is often used to help dogs get over things they are scared of. You teach the dog to touch the target, and when they start to think of that as being a fun game you start to move the target around so that they will touch it anywhere. Then you can transfer this by putting the target on or near (depending just how scared they are) an item that scares them.

I don't know that Smokey will ever be necessarily outgoing, but I do think with training he can at least learn to turn to you when he's scared and accept things he has been previously scared of.

Good luck.

*Thanks Ashley*

Long reply!

The Cautious Canine is a great book! I highly recommend pretty much everything Patricia McConnell has written!

It sounds like Smokey has some genetic issues. Timid temperments can be genetically based. My Franklin is genetically shy. His mother was shy and Franklin has been shy since the moment he was born. Franklin has the additional burden of spending his first year in a lousy home too. Fortunately, Smokey doesn't have abuse issues to overcome on top of being timid. Genetic shyness can be modified and reduced, but the dog is not likely to ever become an extremely outgoing dog. Franklin will never come for a walk in town with me. That would terrify him, but we've reached a point where he likes to come along for the truck ride. He just stays in the truck while I run errands.

Overcoming shyness is a long, slow process. I have found that the most important thing is to not reinforce the fears and the behaviors. It's very difficult not to coddle a shy dog. You love your dog and your first instinct will be to cuddle him and try to provide reassurance when he is scared. I believe that all that does is teach the dog that being scared gets him good things--cuddles with his person. Instead, when Franklin or one of my other shy boys acts scared, I make a point of acting perfectly calm and confident. It takes a while but eventually the dog learns to follow my example. Pacer for example, often looks back at me when we encounter something new on the trail. I tell him it's ok, ect. Even if I am terrified (like crossing overflow on the sled), I never let Pacer see that. The next time he runs into the same situation, he's much braver. "oh, I've already done this!"

Praise Smokey like crazy when he does act brave. Give him his favorite toy, treat, scritching ect. I act like I'm right nuts somedays when one of the shy ones does something new. Delta thinks he's the smartest dog ever every time he walks through the door on his own. (Delta is terrified of doors and being indoors) The first time Franklin got on the couch, my husband slept out there. He couldn't disturb Franklin while he was being brave!

If you can find something Smokey truly excels at and loves to do, it might help. Most of my shy boys loose their inhibitions at the sight of their harnesses. They live to pull and no way are they being left behind. I refuse to chase a dog to put them in harness. If they want to come that day, they have to come into the small pen and let me handle them to get them ready to go. If they don't do that, they don't get to come along! Maybe Smokey would excel at agility or obedience or flyball...there's no end to things a dog can be great at. Confidence gained in one situation can be transfered to others.

Does Smokey have a really brave doggy buddy? Franklin and Preacher came as a package deal. Franklin isn't so depedant anymore, but when we first got him, Preacher had to be in direct sight at all times. Preacher is very calm and confident. He checks things out and Franklin follows his lead.

Good Luck! It's a long process, but it's possible to see great changes! It's fun to watch them come out of their shells too!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

that book is really great... but for now until you get this book and read it one thing you can start doing is raising your voice like it is nothing.. and start to drop things and act as if it is nothing all normal.. as dropping stuff I suggest books and things that make noise and do not brake .. this will help him get used to noises .. and as for thunderstorms if your having problems with that.. for that particular thing I suggest having a treat party during the next thunderstorm one or two of these is all it takes to become to like them..

what I mean for treat party is get lots of nummies for your dog and go play with your dog be all happy and just play start in the house and treat him frequently .. then move to your back yard and maybe go for a walk treating many many times.. the treats and attention will be soo over welming it he should over come his fear to participate ...

Thank you all for the tips and advice. Whenever I get
    discouraged, I think of how far he's come. Smokey doesn't
    panic during a t-storm anymore, he doesn't like them, but he
    does cope so much better than he used to. I try to think of all
    the good, positive things he does. He loves other dogs(if they
    don't bark ALLl the time), loves cats & has a great outgoing
    friend in his sister Maggie.

Actually Maggie is his complete opposite & has really been a
    surprise blessing for Smokey & for me.

I know his problem is a lifelong one, but we'll take it day by day,
    together. Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sorry to say I do not have much to add to the advice already given.

The one thing that Smokey needs above all else is a very calm, strong leader that he can rely on with 100% confidence. You provide that for him and that is as good as it gets.

The point made about genetics is an interesting and valid one. A genetically "shy" dog is one thing - a degree of improvement is possible. Smokey is living proof of that. A dog that has inherited nervousness as a trait is always going to be a nervous dog.

Keep on keeping on and I'm sure you will continue to see small improvements which, when you review his overall behaviour, are really pretty major achievements.

Thanks Carrie. when I noticed you online earlier, I just couldn't
    pass up the chance to ask you for your take on Smokey's
    behavior. I appreciate all the advice. I've been hoping there was
    a magic cure out there somewhere. Smokey is the first dog I've
    ever had that was so shy and he's been a real challenge for me.

I forgot to mention earlier that my house was burgalarized last
    July & Smokey was in the house when they broke in. He was
    evidently scared pretty bad by the noise & strange people
    coming into the house. They didn't harm him psycially but I'm
    sure the episode set him back months in his fight to overcome
    his general fears. Thanks so much for all the help.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

No magic cure I'm afraid but I do think you are selling yourself short here - you have come a long way with Smokey. Few people would have the determination, the thirst for knowledge and the conviction that you have shown. Instead of feeling down about the situation you really should be giving yourself huge amounts of respect. In other hands what would Smokey's life be like? What are the chances of him still being alive? I'm so sorry to hear you were burgled - how horrible for you - and I'm sure you are right about the trauma this was for Smokey. You have done the right things and Smokey is far happier- that sounds like a result to me!

For your shy puppy it sounds like he needs some confidence. I'd start him on NILIF immediately. Also leash training and positive reinforcement for everything he does right is in order. It will take some time, but it'll be worth it.

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

lizbud has lived by these rules for ever!!

Originally posted by carrie
    lizbud has lived by these rules for ever!!

True, I have. Smokey will be 3 yrs old soon and it's a constant
    thing for he & I. For every fear that lessens somewhat, Smokey
    will one day come up with a brand new thing that makes him
    apprehensive.

Lately he's decide he doesnt want to go potty outside after
    dark. (He's in a fenced in yard & nobody's around)
    I did get The Cautious Canine & read it. Good book. She talks
    a lot about dogs who a fear aggressive, or fear biters. Smokey
    is neither. Just cautious.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh, I am so happy & very proud of Smokey. Today on our
    morning walk, Smokey actually went up to the dreaded fire
    hydrant and sniffed all around it. All on his own, no prompting
    by me. I was so happy for him to have overcome his fear of
    the hydrant, I stopped the walk and congratulated him with tons
    of praise & good boys.

Sounds like a little thing, I know, but for Smokey, it was
    monumental.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Have you thought about agility training? You can get some private classes. It will really boost his confidence!
    I've been BOO'd!

Please excuse me while I brag on my boy Smokey.

Today was Smokey's Vet visit for annual Rabies shot & tag.I cannot
    believe how great he did in this visit to the Vet. While we waited for
    Vet, Smokey's tail was going a mile a minute & he acknowledged all the
    other dogs in the room.( Smokey wanted to play with all of them) & let
    people pet him & even made friends with a little boy who was in the
    waiting room.Everyone said what a beautiful dog he was. Smokey
    sailed through his vet visit & got his shots, no problems at all.
    I was so proud of this little guy. How far he's come.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

What kind of dog is Smokey?
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney