Thread: Help me save these poor animals! Please!

Help me save these poor animals! Please!

I would like as much advice on this as I can get. I am in a bit of a sticky situation. My moms husband is REAL big into having many animals. From Dogs, cats, goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks etc etc. The thing is I don't think he deserves to have them. In 1998 my husband got stationed to Korea for a year. I didn't live near my mom nor did I have a good relationship with her due to some problems with them and my baby sister. Anyways, I moved to their area while my husband was away to try and build a better relationship with them. Well while I was there I saw things that really bothered me. But I didn't know what to do about them. Like they had rabbit cages in the back yard with a dog in one of them. A cockerspaniel I believe. It didn't even have a bottom to it just the wire. Not that a bottom would have made it better. I talked to them about it and my mom was neutral but her husband saw nothing wrong with it. After months I finally convinced them to get a big dog house and make her an area she could be on a tie out at least. They had goats and everything. The goats were always on a chain like dogs are. None of their animals had complete shelter from the weather. It broke my heart as an animal lover myself. Due to health reasons her husband was unable to "care" for the anmals as "well" as he use to. Not that I think that was real care. They ended up getting rid of most of them. Well now I live in Germany and they have moved. I was talking to my mom on the phone not long ago and somehow we got to talking about animals. She said they now have around 120 animals of all kinds!!! I from personal experience have seen how their animals are cared for or the lack there of. So I am frantic to find a way to help the animals. ANy advice?? I don't personally want to report them, because my mom isn't the one buying or caring for them. It is her husband. Plus I am not there to see first hand how the animals are living now. What do you all recommend? I really need advice on this one! Thanks for reading this long post !
    Last edited by lovingisliving76; 01-15-2005 at 11:23 AM.

Oh yeah I DO know they don't take their animals to the vet EVER. For vaccinations or to be neutored or spayed. The numbers just keep multiplying.

hmm that's tough, umm I really don't know what to say, I mean can't you just report her husband?

Can you have them send some pictures to you of their animals?
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I suppose I could, but I'm unable to see with my own eyes how the animals are living. For all I know he could actually now be caring for them properly now. But from what I saw before I doubt it. I just can't imagine anyone owning a hundred or so animals period. Much less someone who doesn't care for them properly. I'm just so at a loss for what to do. And the thing is they live within city limits within rock throwing distance to the main road with a food lion across the road. So you'd think there'd be a law against farm animals such as goats, chickens, and ducks within the city limits. I will be moving back to the US within the next couple months. I'll then be able to make a better judement call after witnessing it myself. If it's again like it was, I guess I will sit them down and talk to them and if nothing changes, I'll have to report it myself. Such a tragic situation, but a life is a life to me. Animal or human. If it costs my relationship with my mom, so be it. I have to be the voice for the voiceless. I just wanted to see if others here may have some advice that I have not yet thought of. Thanks for your response~!

omg, sry about that. hope things get better.
    Handsome (dalmation)
    Teeny (tabby)
    placustamus
    3x black tetra
    Topaz (hamster)
    RB:
    Tigger (tabby)
    Kit (tabby)
    Mahogany (gerbil)
    Ash (gerbil)

Perhaps you could make an anonymous call to Animal Control for their town. As they are across from a busy area, it could be anyone who made the call. The AC officer could check on the animals, and would only have to do something IF things are out of order.

7. Thats exactly what I was going to say Karen! No need to get my fingers working lol! But I do hope you can figure out some way to fix this problem!

I definitely would call and report them. Even if they are not your mother's animals she is still responsible for them as they are in her house, her land etc. You can't just sit back and do nothing if your husband is neglecting a bunch of animals. Call and report them. You don't have to give your name, but these animals are depending on you, and from what I've read I highly doubt they are being cared for responsibly. Plus most cities have license laws, and if the dogs haven't been to the vet, he's obviously breaking the law as well. I feel horrible for these animals. This is your chance to do something about it. If nothing is found wrong, then they won't get in trouble. If something is wrong it can be corrected.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    I definitely would call and report them. Even if they are not your mother's animals she is still responsible for them as they are in her house, her land etc. You can't just sit back and do nothing if your husband is neglecting a bunch of animals. Call and report them. You don't have to give your name, but these animals are depending on you, and from what I've read I highly doubt they are being cared for responsibly. Plus most cities have license laws, and if the dogs haven't been to the vet, he's obviously breaking the law as well. I feel horrible for these animals. This is your chance to do something about it. If nothing is found wrong, then they won't get in trouble. If something is wrong it can be corrected.
    I appreciate your response. I guess I just needed a little reassurance that I would be doing the right thing. Though in my mind I think I already knew that this is the right thing to do. I would do it if we weren't related so the same rule must apply. I agree that she is responsible too. Whew I am glad you guys feel the same way. I'm going to call and ask them some questions and see if I can do some persuading. If not, then they will be having some visitors stopping by soon. I honestly don't feel they should even be allowed to own even ONE animal. I'll never forget poor gidget (cocker spaniel) in that little rabbit pen. She had the saddest brown eyes. Thats whats keeping me motivated to fix this! Thanks everyone for your input! Keep me in your prayers for the strength and courage I'll need for this!

Where do they live? They have THAT many animals in pens on their property? Are they waaaay out in the country or something? Even the little bit of care needed to keep them ALIVE must cost some $$. I'm confused... (but that's not unusual )