Thread: insurance

insurance

what are your opinions on pet insurance? do any of you have it? have you ever used it? just wondering. thanks

I have heard that it's a waste of money, and much better to just have a jar and throw your change in it a few times a week. Much easier too!
    I've been BOO'd!

sounds like a better idea to me! i checked out a website selling it and it ranges anywhere from 13.00-60.00!

I think it depends on the plan. I remember I looked into it a couple of years ago, and they had a plan that automatically covered 2 vet checks a year, and annual shots. With that alone, you would break even by buying the insurance. Then, if there were any other visits that were covered, that was added money into your pocket, not out. But I don't know why, I never looked into it further or purchased it.

i agree with wolfsoul. i think it's a waist-o-moolah.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

the only reason i thought it would be a good idea is because we are moving out to a farmhouse 8 miles from town and with the yoties and other dogs, not to mention cars at high rates of speed i thought it's be better safe than sorry. maybe i'll just think about it. of course, no one anticipates anything happening to their pets!

when i get my paycheck i put a certain amount of it in a safe place just for emergancy vet stuff. i would do that or have a change jar and at the end of the day put the change in the jar. change ads up VERY quickly!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have insurance on Trixie..

The way I see it is like this: Everything that is of important value to you, you put insurance on.

Have a car? Automobile insurance.

Jewellery/property/belongings? House insurance.

Want to make sure your family is taken care of? Life insurance.

Going abroad? Travel insurance.

Ergo, I have pet insurance because to me, Trix is priceless and I want to be prepared.

.. and it SURE came in handy when my Chow Chakita had gastro problems!

This is the plan (<=- linked word) I have for her...
    Trixie's Togs
    .: for dogs who trot the wild side :.

you have an excellent point. thanks for the link too.

I'd have it if I only had a couple dogs. It would cost me more to insure all mine though than my current vet bills are! I have a savings account and a credit card for vet expenses.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I got banfield (petsmart) puppy insurance or program on our new puppy on my friends recommendation, she had some good experiences with one of the vets and he has been great.

It is 100 to start and 18 a month and they cover all puppy shots, de-wormers all exams you want and the neuter so I figure worse case is I will break even ...
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

i'll likely get it

when i get my next dog, i'll very likely get insurance. alex has epilepsy, just to walk into the er vet when he has had a cluster seizures was $100, often the bill, due at time of pick up was $4-500, "we'll take a check ". his last er visit at ohio state university for pneumonia in nov 2003 was $1500. not counting his monthly meds and food, i bet i spend at least $700-1000 for out of pocket costs such as blood work, vet visits to adjust the meds and well dog checks each year. i'd look at different plans to make the best choice, since i see alex as almost a furry child
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.