Thread: Help Dog Out Of Control

Help Dog Out Of Control

Does any one have any advice??? I have a 6 year old pointer/lab mix. She is used for hunting but has a large yard to run and play she is not in a pen. The last 2 months she has been acting crazy to us, she wants in the house all time. She has torn up our back door, window screens, and the siding on the house trying to get in. Once she is in she is fine, But she isn't a house dog. We only let her in when the weather is bad or really cold. We thought she might be bored but I don't think that is it, we got another dog and she is still acting this way. She gets just as much if not more attention than she has always had. about the time she started acting this way we were painting trim on our house and she licked some of the paint. we asked our vet about it and he didn't think that could be it, because paint is made different now. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? She eats beneiful dog food. Does she need other vitimins?? would that help?? Thanks to everyone!

Have you considered making her an inside/outside dog by puting in a doggy door? Where is this new dog kept?

Not crazy about a doggy door. I think it will let other things in and I'm out on that. The new dog is kept with her. She doesn't seem to mind him. She has been fixed about 3 years ago. But all this started way before the new one came along.

Other things won't get too far with a dog on the other side and you can lock doggy doors so things can't go through it. She may just be tired of being an outside dog and she knows where the real action is...inside with you. You are her pack leader and you live in the house, so the natural thing for a dog is to want to be where the rest of the pack is. I rescue dogs that have lived their whole lives as outside dogs, but in my house they live inside. Once they've had a taste of the inside life, they don't want to go back. (That sounds like what she's going through.) It's outside for potty and play, then straight to the door scratching to come back in.
    Even though she has another dog with her she can still get bored and lonely because YOU (the pack leader) are the one she wants to be with, to protect, to cuddle. If you don't want to install a doggy door, you could just make her an inside dog, crating her while you're gone (that's if she's not housebroken and chews stuff) and letting her outside for her play time.

I believe there are dog doors that are activated by a special control on the dogs collar that allows them to use the door and only them.

I agree that at 6 she has decided that she wants to be inside with you, her pack leader. But, could something outside have scared her?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I agree with Pit Chick.. dogs are pack animals, especially now that your girl is getting older, she probably just wants to settle down with you inside. You should definately try to atleast have an hour or two a day when she gets to be inside and hang out with her family. It might also help to get her and the other dog a crate, and allow them to sleep inside... if not in the house, in the garage or in the laundry room. It could make them feel more included. Dogs almost always want to be IN with their owners, which is why so many poor dogs sit in the yard and bark constantly, destroy property, and try to escape.

A dog door could work really well. We have a dog door for my dog, and it has a magnetic seal so no bugs or cold air or rain gets in, but the dog can come through it fine. You also can lock it by covering it up at night or whenever.

It sounds like you really love your doggies they just want to be with you, and they'd probably stop the destructive behavior immediately with some allowed time indoors. There is NO such thing as an "outdoor dog"!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz