Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking out the wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses

Picking out the wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses

With the upcoming Bridal Shows I wanted an idea of what to look for when it came to style and color.

I picked out a color and style for my bridesmaids dresses and 4 out of the 5 love it! (My one sister hasn't said either way, but mom suspects she'll like it) Am I lucky or what? *grins* My bridesmaids rock!

I decided on Periwinkle for the color. Here's the dress in that color:

Here are my top two choices for a wedding gown.

Gown #1

Gown #2

Gown 1 is traditonal yet unique. Gown 2 is similar to the bridesmaid dress. Of course everything can change once I start trying them on. I look forward to that.

We'll see if the ones I picked are on special at the Bridal Shows. That would be so awesome.

What do ya'll think?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

The bridesmaid dresses are perfect. That's the color I wore for my boyfriend's sister’s wedding when I was a bridesmaid. It looks good on a lot of skin colors/types. I love the first wedding gown, but they are both beautiful . I'm so excited for you
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I love the color of your bridesmaid dress! Its a beautiful color that any skin tone could pull off well.

I like dress #2 better - I'm more along the lines of "simple is better"... you want YOU to radiate on your wedding day, not the dress!

Periwinkle is my favorite color!!! Great choice! I like #2 Personally.

Congratulations

"Old dogs are like old shoes: they are comfortable. They may be a bit
    out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."
    NEW ADDITION: 6 lovely Rhode Island Reds!

Kimmy,

They're beautiful! I love the color periwinkle.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I love them all! The first gown is beautiful, but I think I like the second better, it goes so well with the bridesmaids dresses, and like Kim says, you want YOU to shine, not the dress. I remember way back when, when I was planning a wedding, I bought a dress that was simple, yet elegant, and I still believe that is the way to go. Some just go way over board with floofy and flouncy and gauzy and eewww.... You can never go wrong with simple yet elegant, and I think you're definitely on the right track with these choices.

And trying on is SO fun! Be sure to have at least 2 or 3 of the girls with you, along with your mom. Some of them you will know the second you slip into it that it's the way wrong one, but you will all get a good laugh out of it. I was going to wear a hat instead of a veil. Well...we were in tears when my maid of honor tried on a hat I wanted her and the bridesmaids to wear! She most definitely does NOT do hats well, and we laugh about it to this day.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

One future bride to another Kimmy. I would go with number 2. Simple and elegant are the way to go. I'm still fiddling with the bridesmaids dresses, but this is my wedding dress. Its the one with the short sleeves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Thanks for the input gals!

Renae, I was looking at patterns at JoAnn Fabrics around November and I loved that style! (I like the long sleeves too. )
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I like both dresses but #2 probably more. I love the bridemaid's dress. My nieces wore periwinkle in my wedding. Great color....

They are both beautiful but I like number 2 just a little better. The bridesmaid's dresses are really nice.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Your bridesmaid's dresses are beautiful and I would go with dress #2, also.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

Kimmy, they are all lovely, and I know you will look lovely in either of those dresses. I was so worried about having bare arms (don't have the most toned arms in the world ) that I insisted on long sleeves both times. The first time, I could have probably gotten away with sleeveless. The 2nd time, NOT!!! You're young and lovely and will look beautiful in anything you wear!!!

I like dress #1 better, as it is still simple, but not quite as similar to the bridesmaids dresses. Empire-waist bridal gowns always make me think of the two pregnant brides whose weddings my Mom played for years ago, the empire waist is theoretically good for "disguising" pregnancy, or at least keeping nosier relatives guessing, so I'm probably just biased against dress #2 for that reason!

Beautiful!!!!!!!!

What a fun time in your life--enjoy it

I love the bridesmaid dresses, and as far as the bridal gowns go, I like #2 better, but, like you said, who knows what will happen once you actually see them in person!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

wow, thats awesome. I love the bridesmaid dress! Looks gorgeous! and I like the 1st dress better! both of them are pretty though.