Thread: Athritis

Athritis

I have an 11 year old lab/pit mix..Last year he got to where he couldnt jump on the bed anymore.The he was getting stiffness and probally some athritis..he would sometimes let out a little wimper when getting up.But, saturday night he was trying to get up and started crying real loud.I went and got him some baby asprin and gave him two of them..I gave him 2 more about 5 hours later.That next morning he was able to get up with no problem.I went and got some humnan Glucosamine 1500 mg..Should I give this to him? Maybe half a pill two times daily.And will baby asprin hurt him?
    I have way too many animals..But watcha gonna do?

I think the best person to answer your questions is your vet.
    My 12 year-old Golden has arthritis; she takes Synovi MSM, which has glucosamine, and I also give her organic flax seed oil to lubricate her joints, but all of this is done with the vet's approval.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

It won't hurt to use it occasionally, but for long term use there are much better options. Talk to your vet.

I have a dog on long term arthritis meds. Goldie takes meloxicam once a day, every day. The difference in her is remarkable. She is a much happier, more active dog on the medication. It's not that expensive and worth every penny to see Goldie happy again!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

It is best to speak to your vet.
    Shiloh has mild HD caused arthritis. She is on a two times daily dose of Cosequin DS (human glucosamine and condroitin). She has Meloxicam for days when her arthritis acts up.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Asprin can readily cause stomach ulcers

in dogs. Most dogs will become nauseated with Bufferin plus food. It's possible acid blockers might prevent ulcers due to aspirin. But as others have pointed out there are NSAIDs available for dogs that are very good at reducing arthritic inflammation. Deramaxx or Metacam have a better safety profile than Rimadyl. With any during long term administration you should have the Vet check the liver enzyme levels.

Athritis

Saturday was the day he was crying. But since then he has been fine..MUst be a sporadic thing

My Chrissy was suffering from severe arthritis. I tried a bunch of different products and she would not eat them. I went to my Vet and he recommended "Arthogen". He gave me some samples and she ate them like treats. They are a beef and cheese flavor that she likes. I have seen such a turn around in her. She can jump up on the bed and gets up and down the stairs now. (She turns 16 next month!!!) You can find the Arthogen at www.BestPetSupplements.com. They answered all my questions and sent the pills quickly and were cheaper than at the vets office. I hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Allowing your dog to jump up or off of anything at the age of 11 can be stressful on them. Even climbing up & down steps can be painful for them. I have a dog the age of 12 that has problems with artheritis & I try to make sure he doesn't have to strain his joints or hurt himself anymore. He goes out on walks everyday to keep him in shape & has a special built up platform so he doesn't have to step up so high to come into the house. He is also on Rimadyl to control the pain. I hope this is helpful for you. Also maybe you could lift your dog up on to the bed & lift him down so he doesn't get hurt

Bed

he has a nice pallet beside the bed that he shares with his cat..
    I went and got him some of that glucymine stuff..I probally didnt spell that right..But it has seemed to help him..He hasnt cried anymore..

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear your dog is doing better & you have found some medicine that will work for him. It is heck to get old even for dogs.

Thanks

Thanks, he is a good boy and will get what he needs to feel better.