Thread: German Shorthaired Pointers.... anyone know anything about them?

German Shorthaired Pointers.... anyone know anything about them?

Does anyone know aything about German Shorthaitred Pointers? My dad and I are deciding between a Golden Retriever, and a GSP. He thinks they are such pretty dogs. Any information about the breed would help, thanks! I am going to be doing lots of research on both breeds, before I choose which one to get.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I love GSP's!!! Miranda _Rae has one named Heidi, you shuld PM her I don't know if she's still around because she said she was getting rid of the internet but try jsut incase. Here's a link to what the AKC wrote about them:
    German Shorthair's

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Hi!!! German Shorthairs aren't for everyone. I'm no expert on them, but there are some things I do know about them. They are hyper dogs, more hyper than labs or Goldens. You have to have the time to spend training them, taking them out so that they learn to behave proper (just like any other dog), and exposing them to as many situtations as possible or else you might end up with a dog who is very hyper. People say that they don't shed very much, but that is NOT true. They shed, and you have to comb them once a week. You have to make sure that you clean their ears or else they might get infections in them. They have to have a lot of exercise, where they go outside at least an hour a day and RUN, or else you can have a dog that gets nervous, agitated, and destructive. Oh yes, they whine too. They are natorious for that....for being so vocal. They drowl when they get excited too, well at least Heidi does and a lady who used to breed them says hers did too. Besides all that, they are VERY loyal, they love anyone and everyone, not a dog you would want for a guard dog, although they will bark when someone comes to the door. They get along well with other dogs, and other animals. They are VERY patient, and they love kids. They are very protective of the kids, and they are gentle too. They are obeident and they learn fast. They have a great willingless to learn. They excel at agility as they are fast, learn fast and very athletic. I found this website helpful as it describes them pretty acurately. They have such a unique personality. If you have any questions you can PM me.
    German Shorthaired Pointers

pointers

my friends dad has a gsp and he is a lovely dog, always eager to please, whether it's in the field or on the front porch. I'd love to have one too and probably will someday. i have no idea any technical stuff about them, but they're beautiful smart dogs.

Thanks so much Orangutango, Miranda_Rae, and Kristl! This helped so much!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Yes yes yes!
    My favorite breed in the world!
    Well, they are very energetic and like having a job to do, whether its fetching the newspaper,or helping you out. They are very eager to please and responsive. They learn quckly and are VERY intelligent, so that makes them good at learning tricks. They need attention, and are NOT the kind of dog that you can just leave outside and say hi to occansionally (but you wouldlt do that!) So yes, they demand attention, and basically thrive on attention and love. They are long lived;12-16 years is average. They're loyal and are deovoted to their owners; treat them right and you'll have a friend for life. They are GREAT agility dogs. {I've done it with them!~}

Any mores questions? PM me!
    Give a second hand dog a second chance- Adopt!

I definatly think Merlin has the GSP in him,, he whines alot,,, is very active and CRAVES our attention,, esp from my husband!!!! wonderful dogs for sure!!!