Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request Suggestions.

Request Suggestions.

Since early Augest, I've been feeding a mid sized animal that has taken residence in the woods near my home. After much searching, news paper adds, and notices on telephone poles, I found the dogs history. His story, like so many others, is sad. Abused and beaten by his first home he ran away and was found and taken in by a dog sledding team. Just as with most abused animals, he was deathly afraid of people. For a few months he was used as a sled dog and just as he began to trust in a certian person he got lost. Roughly 3 years ago he was hit by a car and has since stayed the woods. Being fed by numerous people, he stayed alive. I located him one day by chance after a friend showed me the damage to his vehicle as he had hit a white dog. I went up to the area the animal was hit and saw a large white animal, half dead, lying with half his body in a stream. My his thought was to run to his aid and logic quickly stopped me as he attempted to gain his feet. I left knowing he wanted nothing to do with me. I returned awhile later with kibble. He was gone but I left it just in case. Its january and I still feed him. Once or twice a month I see him hobbling about the snow covered area where his food is always left. He still runs in fear.

Sorry for the long post. It makes me sad to know he lives alone in the cold winter, howls at night, and possibly suffers the affects of broken bones. I wonder if anyone, has any suggestions on how I can gain this animals trust. I would addopt him in a momment and so would many others. Long ago I sent an email to Stanly Corben and never recieved a reply.
    How can someone abuse an animal like this?

Hmm,,, hard call.... he is alive yet limping,,, afriad of ppl,,, been wild for awhile from the sounds of it,,, Have you contacted your local SPCA?

In the meantime,, keep feeding him.... youre very sweet to do that much for him!!

spca wont do a thing. One, I cannot prove that there is a dog there. Two, they wouldnt seem him and would think Im nuts. Im feeding him every night, but he will never come closer...

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    What a tragic sounding life this poor dog has had! You may get a lot more responses by posting this in "Dog General" sad to say. More people frequent the General sections, as opposed to the Rescue. I'm glad you're providing this dog with nourishment, and it sounds to me as though the only way anyone can get help for him, is with a humane trap. How often do you see him? If it's daily, maybe a Humane Officer trained in tranquilizing animals can dart him, and find him/her some help before it's too late. The dog is no doubt very feral by now, and inclined to bite if cornered in any way. Have you contacted shelters in your area, and or posted under dog rescue groups on the internet? Keep us posted..too sad.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

That's a tough situation I think you are doing the right thing by feeding him. Aren't there dog rescue's that would be willing to help? How long has been living outdoors for? Does it get cold where you live in winter? Hopefully you can find a soiution.

I often considered getting a humaine trap, but I see no end in site. The idea is great, untill you really think about it. In some small way I think he trusts me a little bit. To set a trap would mean he would go into the hands of vets and laws and a lot of red tape that wouldnt follow logic. Basically, I am afraid to capture him would mean one of a few things one, the vet would hand me a bill, being as young as I am (15) I cannot afford this even if I wanted to and he would be held untill I did. Two, they would kill him once they noticed that he has been in the woods for about 3 years. 3, the best possible outcome- someone else adopts him. In this sense, its hard not to be selfish and want him as my own. But, if I knew a loving, caring, and knowledgeable family took him. Or it could be my worst fear of all and he would go back to being beaten and abused.

Winter here has already reached as low as -41 degree Celcius.

Well if it's going to get that cold he may not even make it through winter. You can make sure he goes to a proper home, even though you want to keep him. He may not even be fit for a home, he's been living in the wilderness for three years, he's probaly feral.

He's made it through 3 winters all of which have reached this kind of low temperature. Im curious to learn what you really mean by feral and if its what I think it is.

Check your pm's

I see no reason that couldnt have been posted here I saw him again tonight and will post pictures as soon as I can.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I feel really bad for the dog, but am glad you are feeding him. Is there anywhere that's fenced in around your yard that he/she could be lure into, and at least given a dogloo? Feral means the animal has either been born in the wild, or has reverted to wild behaviour in order to survive. I'd love to see pictures!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

my back yard is fenced in. However, it sits at the end of a rather long driveway and I think he would be scared of the garage.

Here he is guys, only difference is that its snowing now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here again

Last one for the time being untill I can get more.