Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litterbox locations

Litterbox locations

I have been a lean-mean-cleaning-machine today. I totally cleaned my livingroom (even framed a picture to go over the mantle!) and then tackled the hall closet. Let me tell you, it was like walking through time! I doubt the floor has been seen since 1980. I even now have a pile of coats I've never seen to be donated to the Salvation Armys coat drive!

Anyway, now that the closet is all purty... I was thinking about moving the largest litterbox into the closet. It is the main box for the cats. The cats will figure out where to find it if I move it. They've been playing in that closet all afternon - this is a very exciting event for them!

I'm just concerned about two things: 1) the cats being locked in the closet 2)the closet door being shut blocking their access to the litterbox. But thats something I can work on with the family.

Anyone else have a main litterbox in a closet? Dumb idea? Great idea? Do you keep the door cracked or wide open? Install a kitty door?

I'd install a kitty door.

Thank you Wolfie!

If it's a place where you normally hang coats, your clothes might smell like litter That would be my only concern

I had a litterbox in my closet a while back. I took the cover off so it would fit. Well, that was a big mistake. Doogie, who is a BIG boy, over compensated and missed the box when he peed. When I rearranged my boxes again, I noticed the closet floor smelled of kitty pee. I scrubbed it with bleach and sprayed it with Nok-Out. The odor is now gone, but I've relocated the boxes back into the "kitty room", with the covers.

My towels and sheets were on the shelves above the box and none of them absorbed the odor.

Don't let my experience discourage you though. Every case is different.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

gigi is such a bad aim...she purposely aims bad after I clean the floor...anyway I have to have it on the tile floor.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Whew am I lucky! I have no covers on any of my boxes and nobody ever misses with pee. Occasionally I have someone mis-aim with poo, but thats a rare occurance, and the box that I have downstairs now (the box in question of being relocated) has never had the occurance of poop outside the box.

Yes, we do keep coats in that closet, but it seems the people in my house are allergic to hanging up coats. So usually during jacket season, they are hung up once a week when I finally get around to hanging them up! I'm not worried about the coats smelling like litter because I am really on top of the litter situation. I can also put in an airfreshener if it ever started to feel stuffy in there.

Oh what to do, what to do?

Yes, I kept one in my foyer closet (aka coat closet). What I did to insure that the door wasn't closed .... I nailed a small wooden object (actually a cat cut-out) to the door frame, to where it would stick out a bit and keep the door from closing! I'm sure there are other creative ways to do something too! I have no doubt your creative genius will spark something brilliant!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks Kim! I will have to find something to use. Now I realize too that I'll ned to paint the inside of the door! The outside is grey and the inside is an ugly mahogany stain with yellowing varnish from when the house was built in 1920. It looks terrible even half opened. Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow

Oh, and hubby almost fell over when I suggested cutting the door to put in a kitty door! Guess I won't be doing that!

LOL!!! Good luck!

Ooo... I should photograph this closet for you... lovely baby poop green shag carpet, smilie face yellow and white polka dotted wallpaper, yellow trim. Simply divine! (blecccchhhhh!)

Originally posted by catnapper
    Ooo... I should photograph this closet for you... lovely baby poop green shag carpet, smilie face yellow and white polka dotted wallpaper, yellow trim. Simply divine! (blecccchhhhh!)
    Aha .... from the groooovy 70's eh? Yes, a photo would be great! We can then have a before and after!

I didn't mean it would necessarily smell like dirty litter.. I know that anything I kept in the room with my litter boxes, unless I kept a fan going to circulate air, everything smelled like dust. It might not be too bad, though, if you use the coats on a regular basis.

I have my extra large box in my main bedroom closet with a kitty cubby hole for them to get in.
    I am not overly on top of the scooping game but I keep air fresheners in there and sprinkle baking soda or carpet powder in the box. I would say go for it!!!
    I had my box in the corner of my bedroom and when Keegan came along I had to improvise b/c she kept crawling in the box - she was quite the wiley puppy!!
    So my dad wanted to make me a walk in closet and I said "Only if you make me a kitty hole". He reluctantly did it - but he made a frame for it on his own!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Fabreeze works wonders on odors. I use it all the time on my carpets and furniture, as well as whenever I change my bed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Three,are in the basement,and 2,on each floor,and one,each,are in the closets,where engineers Moose,and JJJ3 cant through the litter,all over the floor.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS