Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :(!

:(!

I had my hopes up of getting a GSD, and my mom knew that I've been wanting one even before Ozzy..Now she wants me to get either a Golden or a Lab/ Golden mix ect.

I don't want another golden......After my experience with Barrett and her cancer I don't want to worry about it again. Also, Goldens are very prone to that kind of cancer..
    *sigh*

I want a dog that will be MINE. A dog that will be attached to me, and not necesarilly the family. I mean, I want them all to get along but what I'm looking for is a dog that would rather be with me than anybody else.

Maybe I can convince her to take me to the shelter and we can adopt a dog there...
    I've had my eye on a couple GSDs that could have been perfect.

Who knows...maybe she'll give in to the GSD. Hopefully I can get her permission to at least MEET the GSD I mostly wanted.
    Just hopefully

Are they any specific reasons your mom doesn't want you to get a German Shepherd, or does she just prefer another Golden or mix? Yes, Goldens are prone to cancer.. just as all dogs are prone to certain illnesses.

Not to offend you or anything, but just make sure that this time you're really ready for another pup to train.

Good Luck at the shelter! Hopefully you can get her to take you.

I had that same problem with my mum.
    Just tell her and show her thing off the net that prove that GSD's are just as good family dog as any other.
    They are reat with the family with added protection.
    Good luck
    Ky rio and Bax
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I was ready to train Ozzy. A Collie just wasn't the right dog for me. I did train Ozzy, and I raised him just as well as I could raise any other dog. The BREED wasn't right. The timing, and amount of time I had were right.

Hopefully we can go to the shelter sometime very soon. I would rather get a dog from there other than a rescue.

Hi Cayter!

Nice to see you posting again!

Try to convince your mom to take you to the place where you want her to see the GSD/s you really want. Make sure you remind her that this is going to be your dog. not hers. and that you want to be satisfied with the breed you truely want.

good luck!

Thanks!

While goldens may be prone to cancer, GSDs are very very prone to hip problems. Something to consider as I know you are hoping to do agility with it.

i am a little confused... you said that you didnt have time for a puppy when Ozzy was around. and i dont think it had anything to do with the breed, every dog has a different personality.
    i dont think you should get another dog, not till you are sure 100% that social life wont get in the way.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    i am a little confused... you said that you didnt have time for a puppy when Ozzy was around. and i dont think it had anything to do with the breed, every dog has a different personality.
    i dont think you should get another dog, not till you are sure 100% that social life wont get in the way.

I agree 110%

Join Sweet Pea at The Bunny Forum
    Come join me and FizzGigg at The Bichon Lovers Clubhouse
    Thank You Anita & Kay for the wonderful Siggys

k

It may be once in a blue moon, but I fully agree with Jynnelle.

If you're 100% sure that music, sports, friends, school, ect.. won't get in your way like they did previously, then of course go for it. I'm all for someone adopting an animal, as long as they have time for it and are fully committed FOR LIFE.

Animals are for life, and should be planned for life. Not just a few months or until you realize you're incapable of spending time with him/her.

And please don't take this offensively. I just want to make sure nothing happens like last time.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Basically..

I know I'm ready because I've developed depression issues without a dog like Ozzy. Agility, training, the bond...I've realized that over my social life, music, or whatever doesn't make me near as happy as having MY dog.

I'm willing to put everything else aside this time.
    (and im not trying to be pathetically sympathetic or whatever by coming out and saying this)

So I guess this time will be diffrent in many ways. The new dog I'll hopefully get is going to be kind of therapy for me. Training dogs is my passion. It really is...it's what makes me happier than anything else. That's all I want these days...happiness.

Thanks though...I do get what you guys are saying. I understand where you're all coming from, and sorry if i came off a rude or immature. I'm just frustrated.

where is your other dog, Darlin? why cant she be your "therapy"dog?
    Last edited by tikeyas_mom; 01-08-2005 at 01:57 AM.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Cayter, I admire your honesty and sharing in your last post. Of course this decision is up to you and your family. I don't want to come off seeming to lecture but I think the main important thing is to learn from your mistakes in the past. Admittedly it made me a little nervous to see you blame Oz's breed for things not working out, and then name a herding breed that is just as active and in need of lots of mental stimulation (if not more) as the dog you desire. I know how hard it can be to take blame on yourself for something but if you just don't bash yourself for it, and you can say to yourself, "I made a mistake and now I have learned from it," then you can truly start to heal from it.

All I would advise is that if it was Oz's breed that was the problem, you reconsider and look for a more mellow breed to suit your lifestyle. I think Oz ended up in a good place, but it seems you suffered immensely from the situation. I certainly wouldn't want to see either the dog or you emotionally hurt. I wish you all the best and hope you can beat this depression. I know it is a miserable and crushing thing to deal with. My most heartfelt best wishes for you
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Alot of people here have posted my exact thoughts, that I just did not want to post.

All I want to ask, is what was it about a Collie that wasn't right? Because if you were capable of training him, and if you had the time, what was it?

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!