Thread: What should I Consider When Adopting

What should I Consider When Adopting

Lee Roy and I have been debating about adopting another kitten so Mina has a companion. I want to adopt a special needs kitten because they seldom find a loving home in our area, but most of them have either FIV and Feline Lukemia. Mina has tested negative for both, and I'm not sure how to handle it. Can she contract these from one that does have it? I'd really hate to not adopt a kitten just for that reason.

Any advice on what I should look for?

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Re: What should I Consider When Adopting

Originally posted by mina'smomma
    Can she contract these from one that does have it?
    Yes to your quesiton of "can she contract".

RB Butterscotch had it. Skinny and Thumper were exposed but have tested negative (Skinny 2 times tested) Thumper (2 times tested) are fine. With their history of regular vaccinations our vet is very comfortable they will be ok. So comfortable, we had their blessings to adopted Eleanor.

It has been my experience, it depends on individual circumstances of the animal that has the disease. I highly recommend discussing this with your vet.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Yes, stay as far away from a cat that tested positive for either. There are3 probably tons of special needs kitties in your area. The rescue I volunteer for has quite a few with eye problems in foster care right now, and probably more than I am aware of in their shelter.

Have you tried petfinder.com? There are a lot of sheters listed and if you called them, they might even have cats not yet listed on petfinder.

See if anyone has cats with poor eyesight or CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) kitties. I have a CH kitty and she's a sweetie!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I applaud your wanting to help a special needs kitty, but seeing has how Mina tested negative, I would be leery about adopting a positive kitty. I'm sure there are others out there in rescue who know more about these diseases and how they are transmitted. I had always thought if T & P were to die at about the same time, I would adopt positive kitties and give them a good home in their remaining days/years....but that hasn't happened.

As others have mentioned, there are many special needs kitties out there that need a good home. Eye problems are only one of the disabilities. There are the CH kitties, kitties with one leg missing, kitties with diabetes, kitties who have been hit by cars and have lost control of their back legs, kitties who need to be....forgot what the term is...but they need to be "stimulated" to make them go to the bathroom, and many other disabilities.

Go to petfinder.com and look for the little green heart which means special needs. Sometimes this also means that they are quite scared and will need extra time to settle in, so you just have to do your searching until you find a kitty that you think has a disability that you can deal with. A missing eye or a missing leg is one thing, but having to deal with diabetes or some other illness where daily medication is necessary is more than most people want to deal with.

Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thanks. I went to petfinder and found a 9 mth old kitten in DeWitt named Kasie that I'm considering. I'm just hoping that isn't too old to adopt.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Originally posted by mina'smomma
    Thanks. I went to petfinder and found a 9 mth old kitten in DeWitt named Kasie that I'm considering. I'm just hoping that isn't too old to adopt.

If you remember....I just adopted a 7 year old cat. 9 months is nowhere near being too old to adopt. Actually, NO age is too old to adopt.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I was just wondering. This is a picture of her. I just hope no one tries to take her before I can get her. I know how Orange babies go around here

Cracker Jack is 7?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You might want to change the photo to a jpeg.
    BMP are not user friendly with allot of systems.
    I cant view it
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Originally posted by Craftlady
    You might want to change the photo to a jpeg.
    BMP are not user friendly with allot of systems.
    I cant view it
    Ok try it now. I'm sorry I though I did hit the jpeg button.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a cutie

She's a cutie. Does she have a disability or something?

How old is Mina now? When I adopted Scout they guessed her to be around 10 or 11 months old which was a great age for playing with Jazz who was about 14 months old at the time. I know Mina is younger but I still think 9 months is still young enough for good kitty play. I think what is more important is personality and behavior. If Mina is a calmer kitty than try to find another calm kitty if she's more outgoing and wild, then find one likewise. Just remember it's hard to tell personality in a shelter and she may really change once she is relaxed in a home setting.

From Decker with Love

We are hoping,that somewhere,is just theRight Stray,for you,and Mina,and that a homeless Cat,will now get that Sacred Furr Ever Home,that they need!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by jazzcat
    She's a cutie. Does she have a disability or something?

How old is Mina now? When I adopted Scout they guessed her to be around 10 or 11 months old which was a great age for playing with Jazz who was about 14 months old at the time. I know Mina is younger but I still think 9 months is still young enough for good kitty play. I think what is more important is personality and behavior. If Mina is a calmer kitty than try to find another calm kitty if she's more outgoing and wild, then find one likewise. Just remember it's hard to tell personality in a shelter and she may really change once she is relaxed in a home setting.
    Lori

Kasie was run over by a car and her back legs were fractured. She had to have surgery to fix them, but they feel she will have more problems as she gets older. Mina will be 5 months old on the 13th.

I would not put a POS cat with your Mina, I know it is heartbreaking to see all those with FeLV and FIV, but there are people who have only POS cats that they make a home for.

Please consider Mina as your first priority, finding a good match for her.

Also, be patient, a special needs kitty just may find it's way to you.

Best of luck.