Thread: Please please please help!!!!!

Please please please help!!!!!

I posted about my baby birds in some other post, but the day has come for tem to leave the nest! I don't know what to do should I just let them go should I teach them how to find food if so how do I go about it!I really really need your help. If possible can you connect me with someone who can help! I don't want them to die (and really I don't want to have to let them go but I know I have to) but I have to let them go they are getting to wild they want to fly and with 3 kittens and 2 adult cats in the house that is not a good combo! I need to set them free and as soon as possible! Please help me these are my babies and I really want to do what right for them!

Nikki Tory aby and the rest of the family.

Call your veterinarian and ask him/her to refer you to a wildlife center. I do wish I could remember a name for you, but there are wildlife conservation groups all over the country who work to rehabilitate wildlife to be released again. I'm sure they could either handle the release for you, or tell you exactly what to do. Maybe you can do some internet research as well over the holiday to find one.

I know AdoremyDogs (Leslie) who usually posts on the Dog page knows something about wild birds...But she is away on a trip until tomorrow! Can you wait? I live on Cape Cod and we have a great wild animal sanctuary but can't reach them until tomorrow! Let me know!

For all thoughs who helped thankyou so much the info helped alot, but inspit of our best eforts we have lost my pride joy and the love of my life Troy. His brother baby is very deppressed and I don't know how to pull him out of it. He is going to the vet tomorrow so we can know for sure what kind of bird he is.

Troy, we will always remeber you and you will live on in our hearts,
    Mommie and Baby

Shoot, I did not even notice this post until just now! I have done some wildlife rehab and I do know that birds will let you know when they are ready to fly away. It's best to keep a bird feeder full of black oilers (sunflower seeds) when the babies are ready to leave the nest for good. Black oiler sunflower seeds have a high nutrition and high fat content, which is good for wild birds and most bird species LOVE them. But make sure you don't have any outdoor cats hanging around your house because baby birds don't have the know-how that the adult birds have and they are extra vulnerable their first few months of life. Did you raise the chicks by yourself? Did they have feathers when you found them? How did you happen to get a nest full of chicks? Did mamma bird die or did the nest fall out a tree?

Don't be sad about babies leaving to start a life of their own in the wild. It's the way God intended it, and it is their way of saying, "I am healthy and I am feeling good...thanks for keeping me alive so I could feel the freedom of the open skies and the fresh air blowing through my wings". It's a blessing when they leave the nest. Don't be sad. And when the remaining babies are ready they will also leave.

I don't know what else to say because I don't know how old they are, if they are flying on their own, or what kind of birds they are.

I just scrolled down and noticed your first post. OK, when you said you lost Troy, do you mean he flew away? Or did he pass away? It's very hard to raise baby birds, and I speak from experience. First of all, I would try to mix in some more protien in their formula. Exact is a parrot hand feeding formula and parrots are seed/fruit/nut eaters, whereas wild birds need a higher protien diet to immitate what they eat in the wild (Primarily bugs). It really depends on how big they are, but try putting some canned kitten food in with the Exact handfeeding formula, use mostly canned kitten food. And warm the mixture up so that it's not cold but not warm...luke warm. Kitten food is a more specific food for wild birds.

I wish you luck. If baby bird did die then know it's very, very hard to raise a baby wild bird. I have had dozens die on me, in fact, I have only been successful a handful of times.

-Leslie

he died. But his brother is healthy!We are going to let him go in 2 weeks which is just great! When we found them they had no feathers and there eyes were like shut so they couldn't see. We are proud that we have gotin them this far!We hope Baby makes it and has a long life!

[This message has been edited by BabyandTroysmomie (edited June 08, 2001).]

Sadly Baby had died also. We think he was not eating his food. I pretty much had to force him. That was when we knew it was time for him to go. He died at 2;30 this morning. Luckly I woke up with a feeling that somthing was worng. I checked aorund the house everything was fine then I went around to check on the aniamls. I found Baby lieing on the bottom of his cage barly breathing. I heled him in my arm from about 2- 2:30. I siad my I love you's and my goodbyes and tomorrow we will have our pastor from our church come over a bury him beside his brother Troy who died Thurday at 9:20. We are thankfull for the joy they have brought to my life and for the past 2 months I have goten so used to there voices when I walk in my room that now the silence that I once longed for is defeing! I don't know how I can live without them they were my children and I loved them to death I would have done anything for them, I only wish I would have done more. Thanx for everyones help it was really usefull.

From,
    Mommie

[This message has been edited by BabyandTroysmomie (edited June 10, 2001).]

I am so, so sorry for the loss of little, sweet Troy and Baby. You did your best, gave them so much love and gentle caring. But maybe God decided he needed two little precious, innocent winged souls at the Rainbow Bridge to add some song and joy. I think you are so, so special for caring for these beautiful little creatures. My heart is breaking and my eyes are tearing at the picture of you cradleing the little Baby this morning. That must have been so terribly hard for you. But I am comforted by the thought that gratefully, you awoke to be with him during his last hour on this earth. I will say a little prayer for Baby, Troy and you. I know that they are flying free at the Rainbow Bridge, whole and happy, singing a song of love in tribute and gratefulness to their beautiful Mommy. Love, Sandra

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 10, 2001).]

I just wanted to bump this to the top. Perhaps some of you missed it.

I am so sorry about the birds. I too have tried many times to help baby birds and have succeeded very very rarely. You can't save them all. You did your best and that's what matters.

Thanx reading about how some of you have treid and had them suceed had really brought my hopes alive again. We were happy when we found out we would only have to be keeping baby for one more week befor he would set free. I just wish he would have made it. I knwo god is keeping them safe.

Troy and Baby, we will always remeber you and you will live on in our hearts we love you. I hope god holds you in his hands and I hope to see you in heaven.
    I will never forget you my children,
    MoM