Thread: Venomous reptiles as pets... your opinion

Venomous reptiles as pets... your opinion

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyones opinion on keeping venomous reptiles as pets is? I'm just curious, because I found a neat site about that sort of thing...
    VenomousReptiles.org

Not here......I have a menagerie, but there won't be any reptiles, period. No offense, anyone, but it is just not my thing! I'm a wimp in general.

But question....it will be interesting to see what kind of replies you get.

Logan

I have nothing against reptiles and think they're really cool pets, but they don't fit into my lifestyle well. For one thing I would absolutely REFUSE to feed mice or crickets or anything living to a snake. I also like to snuggle and cuddle and do everything with my babies. That would be difficult with a venomous reptile, hehe
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Venomitly NO!!!!

I agree, Aly! I love reptiles but I'd never be able to have one. I once lizard-sat for my cousin's two lizards, and I had to feed them crickets. I cried every time and apologized to each and every one before dropping them in the cage and running. It was just too morbid! I'd much rather take a scoop of kibble and toss it in a bowl And venemous reptiles... wouldn't that be a little dangerous?

LOL Logan, I can totally relate. Oh, it was so funny! A little while ago, we had an exotic animal show at our local library, & they had an albino burmese python (I think thats what it was...), & I went up to pet it, but as soon as she said the size of its fangs...

Well, I have a lovely turtle named Yertle and I love him to pieces, but I don't think I could ever have a venomous animal living with me. I'm afraid of snakes, so that would be out of the question. When I was a little girl, I had a pet frog and I had to feed him crickets. At the time, I thought it was cool, but I don't think I could do that anymore.
    Yertle is cool, though, and I don't have to feed him anything that is alive. He likes some fruits, veggies and leafy greens. I also give him some tuna whenever I open a can. He can smell it from a mile away and will come flying when he does. Whoever thinks turtles are slow should see a hungry turtle on a mission to get some tuna! LOL!
    I guess the grossest thing he likes to eat is dried insect larva. Yuck!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

How often do you let Yertle roam around the house? Is he potty trained? I have had box turtles in the past and love them to death. It would be cool if I could get another that could just walk around the apartment with us.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson

Aly,
    Yertle always roams around the apartment. He doesn't have a tank. He's very sociable and will come out and walk around when I have guests. He likes to hide out and sleep in the corners-sometimes in the kitchen and sometimes in my bedroom. He has a "swimming pool" in the kitchen whith a little ramp so he can get in and out on his own. He usually goes to the bathroom in there. I guess he just learned that on his own. Maybe in the wild they always go in the water? He sometimes poops on the floor, though. He usually does it when I move things around and he always would do it when a new roommate would move in or out. Any change in his environment will upset him and that's his way of showing me that he's not happy with me.
    The cats are ok with him. They never try to attack him or anything, but sometimes they just stare at him like they're trying to figure him out. It's really pretty funny. He's a brave boy-he shows no fear of the cats.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Wow, I'm going to have to look into that. I'd be afraid if I got a scaredy turtle, he'd bite Shiloh's nose and not let go or something

Maybe I'll find one as smart and lovable as Yertle

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson