Thread: A few questions from Cinn

A few questions from Cinn

Hello everyone, how are you doing? It's been a while since I posted. I had a few general questions concerning my crazy cat, Albert.

1. First off, is it possible to catch a cold from a cat??

2. Are cats supposed to have bowel movements every day?

3. Sometimes when I'm stroking him and he's all relaxed, purring and etc., all out of nowehere he'll bite me! What does that mean? Is biting be a sign of affection at this time?

4. When cats sleep, and they wake up, is it normal for them to have "cold" in the eyes like humans do?

Thank you in advance!

Cinn
    Catwoman2004

Re: A few questions from Cinn

Originally posted by Cinnamon2002
    Hello everyone, how are you doing? It's been a while since I posted. I had a few general questions concerning my crazy cat, Albert.

1. First off, is it possible to catch a cold from a cat??

No. Normally the virusses come in variations so that the cat cannot get from you and you not from the cat. There may be some viruses (like the East Asian SARS who can affect cats and humans and chicken) but it is very improbable.

2. Are cats supposed to have bowel movements every day?

Yes. I would not worry if one day I cannot find any tootsie rolls in the litterbox but in general they go daily.

3. Sometimes when I'm stroking him and he's all relaxed, purring and etc., all out of nowehere he'll bite me! What does that mean? Is biting be a sign of affection at this time?

That's kind of an over-excitement. Some cats do it and then it's better you learn the signs (like starting to wave the tail) and stop. Please note that it is not aggressive- it's more like *too darn good, I just can't go without a bite anymore*

4. When cats sleep, and they wake up, is it normal for them to have "cold" in the eyes like humans do?
    Regular and bigger things (have no idea how to call them) especially if they contain blood are a sign of an URI or a conjunctivitis.

[/B]
    Does you cat have any symptoms of an URI? Is he/she also quiet, does not eat? (If they don't eat they won't go to the litterbox).

URIs are nothing that youo should take easy. The viruses are so different- some are harmless and some can be very dangerous. So it's better to take you cat to the vet if she shows signs.

The postings from Barbara above are right on the mark.. but I have a question about #4. what breed is your cat ? some breeds have a little more eye discharge than others, and sometimes its just a mild allergy that causes those little "Eye Boogers"
    its nothing to worry about if the cat is acting normal and healthy.. If it's an URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) or COLD.. the kitty will act sick, not eat or drink much, and needs to be watched carefully for complications. Runny eyes can also be a symptom of internal parasites (Worms) you can take a stool sample to your vet and have it checked . Otherwise, if kitty is acting normal, its just those silly old "Eye Boogers"
    Meeeooooowww.

My cat, Emma, always has" eye boogers" when she wakes up. I just wipe them out for her and she's good until the next time she takes a snooze!

Barbara, before anyone starts to worry, it is not domestic cats that can spread SARS but civets which are not really cats at all.

http://cats.about.com/cs/basichealth/a/civetcat_2.htm
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I go to catchow.com and read mentor questions - people's questions answered by vets. They said that all cats can make 'eye boogers' like we can and that orange cats tend to at least seem as if they are making more because their eye boogers are dark brown. I have noticed with my orange girl, she seems to make eye boogers all the time! I'm forever cleaning her eyes but she's very healthy; it's a natural thing in cats like it is in humans.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!