Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three years ago...

Three years ago...

I didn't post on PT at the time, but I'll tell the story now! Three years ago tonight, my beloved Petey cat blocked for the first time.

We were hosting a big New Year's Eve bash that night. All the cats were locked up in our bedroom so they couldn't sneak by a guest who didn't understant "Indoor only"! About 11pm, my husband found me in the bedroom, cradling Pete and crying. I had no idea about blocking at that time! I just knew Pete wasn't right and getting worse. We called our vet and immediately left for the clinic. I went with Pete, hubs stayed home with our guests. I ended up staying for hours as my vet couldn't find a tech to come in and help! So I helped as much as I could.

Pete came home a few days later, but the blocking continued. By April he had blocked so many times that he could no longer be cathiterized. He had too much scar tissue. My vet gave me two options--euthanize him the next time he blocked or send him away for surgery. PU surgeries can not be done in the Yukon! Pete was on a plane two days later bound for the University of Saskatchewan's vet school.

This picture was taken just before I had to take him to the airport. The look in his eyes haunted me--he was so sick and so scared!

Almost three weeks later, Pete came home--shaved butt and cone head! They kept him for a longer time as he had to be well enough to survive a very long flight.

Today, Pete is well. He has some litterbox issues, but at least he can pee! Pete came home a different cat. I think he had been sick for a long time and never told me. When he came back, he was 100 times more affectionate, playful and outgoing. He used to hide from visitors, now he's on their laps. He's constantly purring and kneading. Either he feels better or he had a personality transplant while he was gone!

Happy New Year everyone! May you not have to spend it in a vet clinic!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

What a touching story about sweet Pete. I hope all are healthy this eve in your household! Happy New Year!

Wow! I am so glad there was happy ending to that story!! SOooooo glad!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I have heard bits and peices of this story and I'm so glad you told the whole thing. Pete is absolutely adorable and I'm so glad he has such a wonderful and loving family who took such good care of him. Poor little fella really had it rough for awhile didn't he? You really went above and beyond for this boy and I'm sure he has repaid a thousand times with love.

This picture brought tears to my eyes

Pete I'm so glad you are well and happy now. You are a very blessed little boy to have such a great meowmie. Thanks for sharing the story and especially the wonderful pictures of Pete. *BIG SMOOCHES* to the handsome lug and {{{HUGS}}} to you for being so wonderful!!

I agree, there's so much suffering in his face, it's heartbreaking!! Glad that this story had a happy ending, he must be so much happier now!

I wish you and your hoomans a happy and healthy New Year, Pete!

Kirsten

Whjat a sad story with a wonderful ending! I love happy endings! hugs to sweet Pete... you better tell your meowmie from now on when you don't feel well!

That face does tell the story. Poor Pete. I'm so glad he is okay now.

May your New Year be emergency vet free!

From Decker with Love

Originally posted by catnapper
    Whjat a sad story with a wonderful ending! I love happy endings! hugs to sweet Pete... you better tell your meowmie from now on when you don't feel well!
    oh, I do! I still get infections sometimes and need to go to the vet, but instead of hiding it from Meowmie, I pee right in front of her! Usually I try to pick something she really likes or wants to wear--that gets her attention in a hurry!
    Pete
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh Pete - you are gorgeous!! Sending you kisses and smooches and hugs. Stay well!!

I guess it is my evening to cry!! That sad and suffering face picture of Pete really got to me. And, sorry to say, I do not know your kitties well enough to know that you still have Pete - and I was afraid to keep reading...but so glad I did to read that things are so much better - even the shaved head/cone head picture made me laugh (my now at RB Harvey had the same surgery) and I loved the "now" pictures of Pete. What a sweet and loving kitty! Smart kitty to pee in front of Meowmie, too! You know who loves you and will help you!!

What a touching story. I'm glad Pete is home with you and finally healthy.

He's such a gorgeous boy.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Awww...what a special meowmy you are to interrupt your party to take Pete to the vet, in the middle of the night, on New Year's Eve even.

I'm so glad everything worked out so well for him and he has become such a lover boy.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Pete, do you know how special of a mommy you have there? Yeah, I think you do by the way you showed her all that affection when you finally were able to come back home.

What a heartwarming story and Pete, you are one handsome dude.

A Very Happy New Year to you and your humans.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Now THAT'S a pet parent if I ever saw one. Happy New Year to you Glacier and smoochies to you Petey.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so glad that this story had a very happy ending. I've been through this 2 times this year with Storm and Cirrus.
    May you all have a wonderful New Year and may Pete live a long happy and healthy life.