Thread: It's Not Working!!

Angry It's Not Working!!

Well we tried to get the dog and kitten together but the dog wants nothing to do with it. I tried holding him so the dog could sniff him but he won't even come near it. The few times he has, he starts barking his head off. Now we're at the point where the dog wants nothing to do with me I don't know what to do. I want them to be friends but it is not working..I'm afraid to let the kitten down in fear that the dog will definitely hurt him The kitten just sits there like, "What is your problem, dog, I'm not going to hurt you". Don't know what to do Any vets out there?? Any words of wisdom?? I just want them to get along and it's really got me upset. My husband will not give up the kitten and I'm not giving up my Chester B....HELP!!

Maybe you could try putting the kitten in a crate once in a while, and let the pup slowly get to know the kitten. This way they can sniff each other and get used to being near each other, with out having to worry about the kittne getting hurt!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Give them some *TIME*

Originally posted by Scarlet91

Well we tried to get the dog and kitten together
    but the dog wants nothing to do with it.
    "Dog wanting nothing to with Cat..."
    Is really not a *bad* thing!!
    Ignoring is better than trying to EAT da Kat!

I've handled over-eager dogs by tethering the dog (with a short leash)
    to either my belt or a handy table leg!
    (Make SURE Fido can't *drag* the table!!)

Once the Cat learns the Dog can't lunge or chase -
    the Cat will become more at ease and willing to approach Fido.

EVERY Time Fido acts "calm and polite" when the Cat approaches -
    *REWARD* the dog with praise and treats.

Chester B will learn that the Cat close by is a GOOD Thing because
    he gets Treats!!

But until you really TRUST them - you need to keep them seperated
    unless you're there to control the situation.

Good Luck!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Keep supervising the visits between them both - but don't force the issue. Let each find out where they are in the pecking order of the home and it will all work out. The only way it may not is if your pup really doesn't like cats. I know that my boys would have a hard time with a cat - just because some of the ferel cats in the area have teased them through the front window. Generally they can all get along very well - just give it time!

I got a little confused, as you stated the dog wants nothing to do with the cat, then you say your afraid the dog will hurt the cat.
    I'm not flaming I just want to know how the dog is acting so we can help you.

Sorry if I missed a post, I tried to look back a bit but couldn't find any info.
    How old is the cat?
    How old is the dog?

what breed is the dog?

how long have you been trying to get them together?

Forcing the dog towards the cat & will will only do what you said it did, is make the dog fear you (or whomever is forcing the dog to do it).

Let them make frineds on their own.

good luck.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Re: Give them some *TIME*

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
    "Dog wanting nothing to with Cat..."
    Is really not a *bad* thing!!
    Ignoring is better than trying to EAT da Kat!

Good Luck!
    I completely agree! I've trained my dogs to ignore the cats. They aren't supposed to even look at them!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thumbs up

A Little Bit of Progress

Well, we have had alittle bit of progress with our dog, Chester B and our cat, Gizmo. My husband has been working with both of them and taking the cat to see Chester B. He sniffs him and he's okay, as long as the cat does not move. In which case, he barks his head off at him. We correct him and tell him no when he barks and when he is nice with the cat, we reward him with a "good boy" and a treat. Yesterday the cat went downstairs where Chester B was and at first Chester B just watched him go past him but after a few minutes, he started to growl. I'm still afraid Chester B is going to hurt the cat. The cat is fine with him and constantly wants to go see him, but I think it's going to take quite some time with Chester B. Anyway, we have made alittle bit of progress, so I should be happy about that. I guess the more they are exposed to each other (supervised) the better it will be. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Any more, let me know!

Takes Time

When I introduced my dog to my cat it was a long enough process. We kept the dog on a leash for the first initial meet but then after that the cat hid for a while. She would come out when he was in his cage. We just let the animals feel each other out...took a week or so but then they were fine together. The dog no longer needs to be in his cage. Now they are the best of friends.

Give them time to get used to each other.

Thanks for the awesome siggy & blinki Lexi_Lover

Steph