Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dogfood BLACKLIST

The Dogfood BLACKLIST

i get these things in the mail every once in a while. it showed a bunch of dog food brands that were bad for your dog. here are a few examples of wat they had to say...

PRUINA'S BENEFUL doesn't come close to using all the sumptuos fresh vegetables and beef pictured on the bag...

KIBBLES AND BITS contains so much sugar we call it the "twinkies" of the canine world...

SCIENCE DIET'S NATURE'S BEST with real beef gets it's major sorce of protien from turkey meal...

i had no idea about this! i'm glad i don't feed Beanie any of these foods.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I'm glad that we dont feed our dogs any of those foods!

Used to feed the girls Kibble n' Bits... until I noticed Roise had been gaining weight.. then I had a talk with Amy (wolf_q).. and we switched to Nutro. Much better!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Yep.. I believe it, especially with Kibble's N' Bits.

In Australia, we have Purina and Science Diet but not Kibbles 'n Bits...... I'm glad though. We feed our girls Supercoat Mature and Lite. They're only two-yrs-old, but anyone who's had a Cavalier knows that they are little piglets.
    It is a huge coincidence that man's best friend wags his tail rather than his mouth.

I am always suspicious of lists like that, wondering who originated it, with what ax to grind.

I think everyone needs to make the best iinforme choices they can based on their dog's requirements.

Cavaliers=piglets? No! Say it ain't so!

I agree with Karen. I do think that there are different quality of foods out there, but after seeing some of the dogs coming into the shelter, I am very happy to see dogs fed at all.

It is nice to be informed, but blanket statements about foods should be avoided. If you are interested in quality of food, your best bet is to read the ingredients or visit websites that break down all the ingredients. JMHO

Every vet I've spoken to had always said Kibbles-n-Bits is the "junk food" of dog food. My in-laws used to feed their RB GSD that and it drove me NUTS!! Her cost was corse, and always had a nasty film on it. Ugh.. just gross!

I feed mine Pro Plan and they have the softest, shiniest coats!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I agree, Karen. When I first found out about some of these lists, I made sure my dogs were on a "Premium Food" made from human grade ingredients...and Sadie and Spot still are.

But this food was too rich for Cincy and her body could not digest it properly. This caused the pH of her urine to be off and resulted in crystals of minerals and that could have been the start of bladder stones in her urine. We switched her to Science Diet lite...one that has "lower" grade content and she is doing much better. The pH of her urine is better and she has lost a few pounds.

Oreo is 15, and for the first 12 years of her life ate whatever food was on sale. It is only recently she has had any health problems and those are age related, not diet. Many, many dogs have lived long healthly lives on grocery store dog food.

Bottom line is, you have to figure out what is the best food, in your price range, for your dog.

Originally posted by Karen
    I am always suspicious of lists like that, wondering who originated it, with what ax to grind.
    I think that list probably came from "The Whole Dog Journal". Which is a "magazine" that I like to read, but I often think they are too harsh on some of their reviews. I do however agree with the list that Lute posted. TWDJ always tells why the product is rated the way that it is.

Here are some of the foods on TWDJ's blacklist and why they are there. I personally don't agree with them all.

Beneful- "dried peas and carrots are 20th and 21st on the list of ingredients, while 2 types of sweeteners are 9th and 10th on the list. It also contains a lot of artificial colors"

Bil Jac- "chicken byproducts and chicken byproduct meal are the first and 4th ingredients."

Iams Maintenance Adult- "Food Fragments and animal fat"

Kibbles 'N Bits- 1st ingredient is corn, the protein in the food comes from beef and bone meal animal fat and animal digest.

Science Diet's Natures best- protein (meat products) are third on the list and the meat listed on the front of the bag is far down the list.

Pedigree- Fregments, byproducts, animal fat, and artificial preservatives

Purina O.N.E.- Fragments, animal digest, byproduct meal

I really think you should feed your dog what he does well on, however there are some foods (ie: Kibbles 'N bits, beneful) that I can't imagine any dog doing well on.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Omg I feel terrible. I was feeding my dogs Kibbels 'N Bits.
    Diamond has gained so much weight and no wonder if it's that full of sugar. We switched them to the Nutro Max Large Breed Adult. Do you all think that's a good brand? I have read good things about it.

I was told by a trainer in Petsmart to feed Jillian Nutro, because it was (in her opinion) the healthiest out there. right now shes on Proplan or something. I think once this bag is done we'll switch to Nutro

Originally posted by Jadapit
    Omg I feel terrible. I was feeding my dogs Kibbels 'N Bits.
    Diamond has gained so much weight and no wonder if it's that full of sugar. We switched them to the Nutro Max Large Breed Adult. Do you all think that's a good brand? I have read good things about it.
    Don't feel bad. Dog food companies use marketing schemes that appeal to the dog owner. They make the food on the bag look good and all the pretty colors and shapes draw our attention and some foods even smell good. But dogs don't care what color or shape the food is. We trust that a dog food co. knows what is good or bad for a dog and will make food that's good for them. In reality some of it is the equivalent of human junk food...tastes good, but bad for us. Nutro is good, all of my dogs are on it and do well. What kind of dogs do you have? If they aren't all truly large like GSDs, Labs, Great Danes, then they will continue to gain weight or not lose any. Large breed food has more protein and fat to accomodate to larger dogs which can make a medium sized dog like a Border collie, Pit Bull, etc, pack on the pounds.

Pitchick,
    I have a pit bull and a heeler mix she may have some pit in her.
    Oop's I may have bought the wrong brand of Nutro. Poor Diamond sure doesn't need to gain any more weight. Which brand of the Nutro do you think I should buy next time? Thanks so much in advance.

I jump between Nutro Natural Choice and Nutro Max depending on how much money I have. Nutro Max is cheeper and doesn't have as much variety, but still good. If you want them to lose weight there is weight managment in both, which I need to put a couple of my Pits on. There's the Lamb & Rice in both which is the main one I use. There's also Chicken and Rice with oatmeal for sensitive stomachs. Since there are so many different ones to choose from, you just want to avoid the large breed bags.