Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Cone Awareness

Glad to see this here today I really needed the laugh. Merry Christmas to all.

Oh no...you'll never guess what happened. I just went to the bank a block away and I saw a little baby cone by the side of the road. It's certainly looked OK but I didn't pick it up because I thought that maybe it's Mommy was away getting it some food. I didn't approach it. Should I have left it alone?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Shiny cone, passed out in the parking lot.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Originally posted by RICHARD

Shiny cone, passed out in the parking lot.
    RICHARD!! You drove away and left it there? How can you ever forgive yourself? Poor thing's laying there putting out an obvious distress signal. The least you could have done is put it back upright! That could have been an elderly (Help I've fallen and I can't get up) cone. I would have called 911 seeing that one. I've passed by several deceased cones lately, and felt horrible for leaving them there. Drivers...Grrrr, just hit the poor things, and go about their merry way. Maybe I should keep bags in my car for the next cone bodies. Wonder if I should bring the bodies to the vets, or the D.P.W?
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    flamepony do a search for "Cone" here on PT and you will become cone-enlightened! I can't pass a cone without grinning anymore!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

LOLOL Richard....I thought you'd pay more attention to the motorcycle.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

QueenScoopAlot, that gave me a gooooood laugh! BTW i did my first cone rescue today...... look on the thred Our new Addition!

Now this is the PT I like. The fun, happy, hilarious PT! Keep it coming everyone. Was nice to see a 'busy' day on PT today.

Thanks for the tips! I have to buy 4 cone presents this christmas this year, and I hope to rescue more cones over the holidays!

I think we should have a thread dedicated to cones, and cone rescues
    ~*~green_chameleon_girl~*~
    R.I.P Rex
    - _HeAtHer_-

Thanks MANDAMOO!!!!

Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl

I think we should have a thread dedicated to cones, and cone rescues
    ditto!

As one of the first cone owners on Pet Talk I would like to give you some personal advice. Through my 2 years of cone ownership I have learned a lot.

Christmas is a very, very, very dangerous time for domestic cones. Make sure you keep all electrical cords out of reach to protect from shock and melting. Ornaments on the tree should be non-breakable, as to aviod sharp cuts in the cones underbody as it drags along the ground to move. Pointsettias (sp) are dangerous to cones to, like they are to cats and dogs. Wrapping paper suffocates cones make sure to dispose of wrapping paper properly and immediately.

This time of the year is also very harsh for wild/feral cones, like some have mentioned. To help out the less fortunate cones who don't have a home yet offer them some type of shelter and food. I personally use a gravel recipie for our local ferals. I take some potting soil, asphalt crumbs, small stones, and a little bit of tar melted and poured on top to feed them. For a treat sprinkle a little bit of road salt on top for seasoning. For a shelter I use a large box- it serves the purpose quite well, sheltering them from the harsh winds and snows we have here in Wisconsin.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    As one of the first cone owners on Pet Talk I would like to give you some personal advice. Through my 2 years of cone ownership I have learned a lot.

Christmas is a very, very, very dangerous time for domestic cones. Make sure you keep all electrical cords out of reach to protect from shock and melting. Ornaments on the tree should be non-breakable, as to aviod sharp cuts in the cones underbody as it drags along the ground to move. Pointsettias (sp) are dangerous to cones to, like they are to cats and dogs. Wrapping paper suffocates cones make sure to dispose of wrapping paper properly and immediately.

This time of the year is also very harsh for wild/feral cones, like some have mentioned. To help out the less fortunate cones who don't have a home yet offer them some type of shelter and food. I personally use a gravel recipie for our local ferals. I take some potting soil, asphalt crumbs, small stones, and a little bit of tar melted and poured on top to feed them. For a treat sprinkle a little bit of road salt on top for seasoning. For a shelter I use a large box- it serves the purpose quite well, sheltering them from the harsh winds and snows we have here in Wisconsin.
    very well said!

Sorry I have not been able to reply sooner, guys.

This is a very busy time of year in cone rescue. Lots of times, cones are harbored to be used in Santa parades, etc and they are trampled. Rescue workers always try to be on the scene to make sure no serious injuries happen.

There have been a lot of good tips about cones and their care on here, its great to see that people are taking a real stand. Thanks for continuing this valuable cause.

Slick - very often, the mother cones are stolen because of their size. Do go back and check on the baby. If he's still there, feel free to do the right thing and rescue!

Don't feel bad if you haven't bought a gift for your cones. One thing you CAN do is give it a job on Christmas day. They love to work. Put it near the Christmas tree and let it feel like it's guarding your gifts. It can help to divert traffic and prevent broken presents under the tree. The kind of pride that comes from this type of work will do wonders for your cone's self esteem.

Have a very Merry Christmas, everyone. Hug your cones from me.

Some questions..

Cones don't require yearly vaccinations, as they are very resiliant to all kinds of illness. Care for your cone should include a bath to remove any dust every so often, and lots of love.

Feral cones are usually very tame. It is always okay to approach a cone. The only thing to watch for is their breeders. Usually you will see them carrying stop signs and wearing reflective gear, sometimes with a tag saying something like "phone company" or "gas company." Never approach a cone when these individuals are near by. They will not understand the rescue process and may become agitated. Always use caution!