Thread: What Pet??

What Pet??

Hey, I am looking to get a pet and i am not sure what is right for me. I did one of those tests and they said the best for me was a pet rock!!! Uh...no thanks!! I don't have too much time each day. Maybe an hour for pet time. My house is big enough for any animal. I also have a guinea pig. What pets are good with pigs?
    When two dogs were at a park, one dog asked the other, "What's your name?" The dog replied, "My name is NO,NO,BAD Dog!"

A pet rock.. hehehehe! You only have an hour free for pet time? I'd suggest to get some fish. They don't take much time at all. Just need to be fed daily and tanks cleaned about every month or every other month depending on the type of fish.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Oh, and one more thing. As long as they can be easily litter box trained, they could be out for much longer that an hour. We tried fish, but they died in the first week. Are rabbits litter boxed trainable?
    When two dogs were at a park, one dog asked the other, "What's your name?" The dog replied, "My name is NO,NO,BAD Dog!"

Rabbits or Cats are litter box trainable....and cats are so much more independent than dogs are. Of course, I am NOT advocating that you leave your cat or bunny alone all the time! They love companionship (at least most of them do), but they are more solitary than a dog is.

We have hamsters, which are "low maintenance" but need to be held daily to keep them tame. Guinea pigs require a little more attention though and you're already handling that one fine!

Let us know what you decide. I think if I were you, I would want to get a "pair" of something, to make sure they would keep each other company. What about another piggie??

I wouldn't recommend a cat or a rabbit. I don't know a lot about rabbits but I know cats that are left alone too long can do some pretty nasty things. How bout a couple of love birds?

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

I would suggest a couple of chinchillas . Two togeather keep each other company and you can have them fixed so they don't reproduce. and they are great for people who work as they are night time animals. sleep alday and play at night. check on the chinchilla net.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

I suggest maybe some gerbils or maybe a rat. We had a hamster that took a lot of my time, but my gerbils never took much time, and my rat requires very little time. But I give hiall kinds of attention anyway! I think that a cat would be very good, they are generally very solitary and independent, cats sleep 18 hours a day!

I wouldn't recommend a cat. I am a firm believer that although independent, they still need to be around you just as much as dogs do. Even if they are perched high up watching you clean your house, it still does them good. My Shiloh is ALWAYS in the same room as me and thrives on my companionship. If left alone for longer than a few hours, I don't know what she'd do!

I also think rats would need more than an hour a day. For them to be mentally healthy anyway, they need a lot of time spent with them.

I agree with Logan on getting a guinea pig friend for yours.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson

I definately DO NOT recommend getting a cat. And I don't agree that they sleep 18 hours a day - besides when they're awake they need love, and lots of attention or they will leave you little presents like a big dump in the middle of your bed or couch or little smelly wet spots in places you do not want. They may be independent to a certain extent but they are very demanding!!!!

I agree with Logan. A pair of something (perhaps another piggie?) would be good. Bunnies ARE litterbox trainable but they are a little harder to teach than cats. Their diet is a little tricky. (LOTS OF TIMMY HAY--little or no alfalfa hay, a small amount of pellets, fresh greens, very little sugar, etc). Although, I only have one bunny, they do better in pairs. They are social animals! Another thing to consider: bunnies are nocturnal animals. They rest during the day and play at night/in the early morning.

I'm not trying to discourage you from gettin' a bun, but if you do choose a bun for your new pet, please do lots of reading first! The House Rabbit Society has lots of good info!

Since you already have one, and are familiar with the routine of caring for a piggie, I vote for a piggie pair!! They too are very sociable critters that needs attention and friendship. They often do recommend getting a pair if you don't have too much time to spend with him/her. Since you do seem limited in the time dept., I think your piggie would love a friend. I have one and am thinking of getting him a pal to keep him company in my absence. Good luck!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Yeah, i had a mini lop, but she went to rainbow bridge. I tried litter training her, but i couldn't leave her alone, because she would still go everywhere. School is the only thing in my way of getting a lots-of-attention animal. the only prob with another guinea pig is that my pig is really territorial. he used to chew on my rabbits ear(lucky she didnt have a low pain tolerance). What are hedgehogs like?

Are Chinchillas friendly? Are they the ones that have to take dust baths? Are there any informational sites about them? Sry, I am just full of questions

Hey, i think that I figured it out. I have visited the house rabbit society, and I think I will adopt a rabbit!!!! These rabbits are older, calmer, and litter trained (should I trust this site?). Also i had a rabbit before, and she was so sweet. My homework might have to wait , lol
    Thanks for ur advice

Good luck in your search for the perfect rabbit baby
    Alyson