Thread: Abyssinian Guinea Pig

Hybrid View

Abyssinian Guinea Pig

I have an Senior Abyssinian Boar, Marked Cavy. He is white broken with blue markings. He is very sweet. He has his own blocked off section in the corner of my room where he can go in and out of his cage as he pleases. His name is Peaches. I'm trying to convince my mom to let me get him a friend because he gets lonely when I'm not there. I am hoping to get another Abyssinian. I would like to get a female so I can breed them. But I wuld also get a male for a 24/7 friend. And a female for the female. If there are any other guinea pig lovers out there you are more than welcome to e-mail me.

I think that Peaches should have a friend! You may want to think seriously before you start breeding though! You need to find good homes for all the pups, and you need to look after the pregnant one, and closly monitor her. Think about it, are you ready?!?

I agree that peaches should get a friend, I bought my boar named Bear Two years ago then I realized with school and my new horse I was away alot, so I bought another boar named Rodney, And they got along so good that they finally can live in the same cage together, the only scary part is when I take one out of the cage the other will cry as loud as he can until his pal returns. And also Blue Heeler- If you get a female they can't always be breeding so You eventually have to seperate them somehow, then your boar won't have a friend that he can play with.

------------------

Horse_1987

Hi! I just adopted a "rescue" guinea pig from my local shelter. His name is Squeekers! He is soooooo cute and very sweet and loving. This is my first guinea pig and I'm so excited! I've never had a piggie before; closet was a hamster when I was a kid. Anyway, been reading a lot and searching for info. on the web. Are there any experienced piggie mom's out there who can give me some tips? He is 1 year old. He came with a great plastic bottom 3x2 cage with all the accessories, including a wooden "timber hide away" box where he loves to play and sleep in. I stocked up on all the essentials including aspen shavings, a good Kay-Tee piggie food, timothy hay, yogurt drops, some other treats and a vit. C supp. for his water. I read that vit.c breaks down easily in water so I'm also giving him fresh veggies like broccoli, spinach and carrots and he adores parsley. Tried oranges but he doesn't seem to like them. Are any fruits or veggies bad for them? I heard that fresh veggies should be given in small amts. What's a small amt.???!! I don't want to over feed him. Also, all info. says change shavings once a week!! I think it's damp and poopy enough to clean every day!??? Got a ball thingy for him to play in, then read that piggies won't run around in them like hamsters will. Are there any toys for piggies? For chewing, I got him a carrot flavored "chew stick" which he seems to like. What about salt licks? Read that they should have this too!! Sorry to ask so many questions...just want him to be happy! He loves to be held and scratched. A real cutie. He chirps a lot and squeals sometimes. How do I know if he's making "happy sounds" or if he's upset? Anyway, thanks for any help you might give. Emails welcomed!!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited January 31, 2001).]

I breed mixes for people who want pets with special qualities. I also Breed petegreed showable Peruvians. If you go back to my post on this board a little back and to the profile you will see my breeders and keepers. If you want a mixed breed and no specific qualities I also have a rescue center and they are for adoption. But if you want a chalenge I have a special guineapig who was born blind and death. But her also turned out the sweetest.

Oh Sandra!!! I'm so excited about your new addition. I knew you would break down soon. You know, I babysat a guinea pig a couple of weekends ago, and he was great. But the expert, Carrie, says they need a friend. They are very social, and unlike hamsters, can get along with a "roommate". Just make sure its the same sex!! Bobby, the piggie we sat for, loved to eat fresh vegetables. Sounds like you're doing the right things already.
    Hope Squeekers knows how good he has it! You are a wonderful mom. Hope Star and Cody feel the same way you do about him!
    Keep us posted.
    Logan

Here's a couple of pics. of my new baby "Squeekers!" Please post pics of your critters too!

One more time!!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited April 17, 2001).]