Thread: Biting?..

Biting?..

Question for you other tiel owners!

Bennie has a bit of a biting problem at times. Don't get my wrong, he's the SWEETEST tiel, but when he get's in his moods, he won't be afraid to show it. Normally, he doesn't bite me.. He usually bites other people trying to take him FROM me. Or, if you touch him on his back without his 'permission'. But, recently he's biting more often.

These aren't little pecks he does either, they are BITES that really hurt.

I think he *MAY* be molting, and i did hear that when tiels molt they tend to get a bit moody.

What else could be the reason for this??

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated!

Amber

This is just a guess, but I think he is still adjusting to your home and family. Milton bites, but he did from the day I brought him home from the shelter and the people there told me he did. Alex does the "without permission" biting too, but they are really soft and it doesn't hurt at all.
    I have also read in tiel books that it is stressful to have a big hand come at them. Evie is a little apprehensive when I take her out of the cage, and she nips, but once again it is really soft. The two tiels I have/had that bit always did from the day I got them. I worked with RB Pretty Boy and she got better, but I really think Bennie is still adjusting. Remember he is still getting used to being away from mom and dad, and I'm sure that's stressful. I think he's still figuring out who he can trust.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Yes, but he NEVER did this before. That's why im thinking it's because he may be molting.

I agree that he is probably still adjusting, but i think maybe the molt is putting even more stress on him.

Poor boy.

It could be a lot of things. Their little brains are more complex than we give them credit for. Maybe Bennie is just in a bad mood. Also, are you using the same exact food that Logan did? Maybe he’s adjusting to new foods and has a tummy ache. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while. The problem might go away on its own.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

How old is Bennie, Amber? Like 7 months? Popcorn was like that at his age. That behavior lasted for like 2 months, until he became his sweet self again. It never happened again. I think he ***might*** be going through 'birdie puberty'...LOL...right now...and the hormonal changes might be causing him to feel a little 'cranky'. Kinda like human teens get frustrated for no reason. It happens to animals too, while they're maturing. Their FIRST molt also, can sometimes be very uncomfortable, so it could be that too.

Either way, I'm positive this is just a phase and he'll be over it in no time.