Thread: Pingo's Anniversary!

Pingo's Anniversary!

Today marks two years since Miss Pingo officially joined our little crew. Pingo's story isn't nearly as dramatic as some of the other tails of woe in our yard. I don't consider her a rescue. Pingo was bred by Quest musher, Brian MacDougall, a little less than eight years ago. As a very young puppy, Brian gave her to his handler who at the time was just starting his own team. Fast forward several years and I am good friend's with Brian's former handler, Braden. Braden has gone on to run the Quest and this year is competing in the Wyoming Stage Race and some race in Russia!

In June of 2002 he started nagging me that I had to come over and meet this dog. Nothing wrong with her. He just wasn't using her enough. As he moved up in the mushing world, Pingo got dropped from his A-team. She was spending more and more time left behind in the dog yard and she was not happy about this. Braden nagged me every time he saw me, convinced that Pingo and I would be a good match. On December 15, 2002 I finally agreed to come meet her, "just to look". What I saw was a very sweet little husky cross with soft brown eyes. Braden personally delivered Pingo to my home later that same night.

At first I thought I'd made a horrible mistake! Pingo howled, the saddest howl ever, that first night. It took her about 20 minutes to realize Braden wasn't coming back! At the time he lived just down the road from me, so Pingo could hear her former teammates every time they howled. She was not happy about being moved. That first winter, I had more battles of will with that dog. She is a leader, but she wouldnt' take commands from me. I was not her musher and she didn't have to listen to me! She would hear Braden's voice and try to follow his team. She always tried to run back to his yard. If she got loose, that's where she went. If we passed his trail, she tried to turn in.

It took about six months for Pingo to figure out where she fit in our pack and that it wasn't so bad. About the same time that she decided to stay, she discovered the COUCH!!! How she loves the couch!

Now when Braden drops by, she's happy to see him--always gives him a display of her "happy dance", but there is no way she's leaving with him. He goes to the door and Pingo imbeds herself in the couch! She takes commands from me now, but she's a trail dog at heart. Her favorite command is "Pingo pick a trail"--when she gets to decide which loop the team will run that day. She always knows the way home, even when I don't. This summer, at seven years old, her herding instinct kicked in (she has border collie in her mix). She has great fun herding people on bikes and trying to herd the cats! She's a funny little furball and I'm very glad she's here.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

What a happy story!!!!! And a happy happy pup too!!

Happy Anniversary Pingo!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

what a great story she looks so happy and happy to be with you guys
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

What a wonderful story! Happy Gotcha Day Pingo!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

a nice story pingo, happy anniversary!

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

What a great story and what a happy ending!!! Of course she didn't want to go back...she discovered the couch! She even gets to visit with Braden! A very happy ending all around Happy Anniversary, precious Pingo! What a beautiful girl you are! Hugs and slurpy licks, Sandra, Cody and Star

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Re: Pingo's Anniversary!

Originally posted by Glacier
    This summer, at seven years old, her herding instinct kicked in (she has border collie in her mix). She has great fun herding people on bikes and trying to herd the cats!
    I thought I saw some Border in that girl!

What a great story. She looks like such a sweetheart!! I'm glad that she enjoys living with you now.

Happy Anniversary Pingo! You are a beautiful girl
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I just don't know how you keep them all straight their stories and personalites. I have hard enough keeping my hubby and son names right.
    I love hearing about them all.