Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet store advice

wow the petcetera here is wonderful, yes they do have glass aquariums, in the front, but the back is wire. they all have food and water and are clean etc.. cost is the only bad thing about the petcetera here.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cali
    wow the petcetera here is wonderful, yes they do have glass aquariums, in the front, but the back is wire. they all have food and water and are clean etc.. cost is the only bad thing about the petcetera here.
    what do you mean by cost is the only bad thing?

I'm not going to stay. If I knew I had a chance to give these little animals the attention they need, then I would stay. But I know that's not my JOB and never would be. Seems rather ridiculous that a store like this would have plently of livestock yet not hire someone to make sure they are well tamed, treated, and cared for. Wouldn't the animals sell even better if they were properly cared for? Anyway ... I can't work for a place that values products and sales more than caring for their animals.

what do you mean by cost is the only bad thing?
    I mean it is the most expensive petstore in the city, everything is WAAAYY overpriced, something that costs $5 at one store costs $15 at petcetera, so we only shop there if we need something that ONLY petcetera carries. I had to stop buying my Rabbits favorite litters because a small 4-5lbs bag cost $12.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I think you have made the right decision. If there is no chance for you to even give them some attention, then find another job. I am with you. They need to be reported too..they shouldn't have a license to sell if they are not going to treat those babies properly..

Originally posted by GraciesMommy
    I think you have made the right decision. If there is no chance for you to even give them some attention, then find another job. I am with you. They need to be reported too..they shouldn't have a license to sell if they are not going to treat those babies properly..
    I agree ... maybe they need to broaden what treating them "properly" should mean ... If its giving them enough just for survival, then they're doing at least that ... and I doubt that works well all the time .. according to that poor dead budgie. That sight still haunts me..

IMO they should be properly taken care of by being socialized with people, regularly monitored for food/water checks, given treats to keep them happy, etc. Its only fair to the animals, and to the people who will be buying them as well! Instead, they seem to discourage these things and focus on sales instead! Yes, its a business, but if you are going to have livestock, be responsible about it.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I've been meaning to let that one out all day!

That's why I quit Petco. The store I'm at now....we have one person whose entire job is taking care of the "fuzzy room" (rabbits, g-pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, chinchillas), one person who takes care of the bird room, and four people total split up and spend one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening taking care of large birds, small birds, fuzzies, and creepy-crawlies.

Does it cost the store a ton of money? Heck yes! Does the owner mind? Not a chance! She told me once about how much money we lose every year on bedding/food/toys/dishes for the animals in the store...

It's not worth it to stay at a horrid place. find somewhere you can enjoy!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Wow, what store do you work at? That's fantastic! They should all operate that way ... If I got an interview at another Pet store I think I'd have to ask them first how they care for their small animals! I'm not getting in another situation like I was just in ..