Thread: Throwing up

Throwing up

Just a bit worried about Mowg. Over the past 3 days he's thrown up twice. First time I wasn't sure if it was him or Zelda, but at 4 this morning, I definitely knew it was him. He's also not eating as much as normal. I'm used to him tearing into his breakfast, but this morning he just took a couple of bites and then came to cuddle.

All I know is that it's definitely not a hairball. At least, not from the descriptions I've heard here. No hair chunks that looked like poo. Just little food chunks.

He's still alert and active. Mom was going to keep him today, so I had him all caged up for her, but she didn't realize how big the cage is. So she just ended up checking on him and calling me. She said that he's all bright-eyed and he hissed at her.

There've been no recent diet changes. He's been scarfing down Purina Weight Management with Zelda for about a month now, and we've almost entirely eliminated people food from the little crumb-snatcher's diet.

I don't know if this is something I should just keep an eye on, or whether I should go rushing to the vet in full-fledged Panicked Meowmie Mode.

It could still be a hairball. Sometimes they will throw up a few times before the hairball itself comes up. Try the Petromalt stuff you can buy at any pet store. More than likely the Mowg-monster will love the stuff and lap it up right out of the tube. This should either help the hairball to pass through (hopefully), or he will eventually just throw it up and be good to go again for awhile. But this Petromalt stuff doesn't hurt them at all, and it's not a bad idea for anybody to get in the habit of giving it to their kitties.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

If it's chunks of food, it usually means that he's eaten too much, too fast. Like Debbie said, it could also be a hairball or possibly BOTH. Just keep an eye on him. As long as he's eating, using the box and drinking water, I wouldn't worry too much.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We do both chunks and hair at our house with our gang. Kids just love it when I share this information about them and their habits. LOL
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Thanks for all the advice!

Heh! I always swore I wouldn't end up panicking when either kitty had a hairball, and wouldn't you know, the first time what's most likely a hairball crops up, I panic.

I guess what had me worried most was that after he'd obviously emptied his tummy (who knew such a little guy could have so much in him to throw up!? ), he just kind of picked at his morning meal and then wanted to cuddle, when he usually tears into breakfast like he's never eaten before.

Anyway, I'll zip by Petsmart after work and get some Petromalt for the little guy, and hope that'll clear him right up.

T&P's Mom, you weren't kidding about him going for the hairball remedy right out of the tube! Mowgli thought he was getting a really special treat! And his appetite seems to be back. So I'm feeling a lot less worried now.

I had to give Eleanor some today and she ended up wearing it all over her face. Reminded me of kid eating cake and smearing it all over themselves. She wouldnt sit still today when I gave it to he. so it smeared all over her face and neck but after retreating away from mom LOL Eleanor cleaned herself up. Usually she takes it with no problem but decided to make a game of it today.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor