Thread: Hubby has a....

Hubby has a....

black eye, forehead lump, and split lip!

Why you ask? NOT from me, I'll specify that right away! Today in homeroom, he had heard a big commotion outside his classroom. He and the teacher in the room next to his went out to see what was going on. Apparently a fight between two girls... with a crowd of kids starting to swarm around them chanting "fight fight fight" Grant stepped in and the girls swung - at HIM!

He got pretty beat up in the process of getting them under control, and with the other teacher's help, they got things settled down and the girls apart.

The worst paryt of the story? The girl who punched Grant the hardest, and caused the black eye and bloodied lip --- her MOM was standing there the whole time TELLING Grant to just let them fight!
    Grant wants to press charges, but told the principal that the decision was up to him... that if the Princpal thinks it best to let it go, Grant would, but he warned the Principal that if they press assult charges on both the mother and student then they would be making a HUGE statement to the kids that the school wasn't going to tolerate that type of behavior. And you know what? the Principal told Grant he'd think about it for the night! Whats there to think about? If they don't press charges, then the kids know they can get away with anything now!

Sigh, the joys of inner city teaching.

Gosh that is awful! Hope your hubby is doing okay. Sounds like that girl needs an assault charge to get her attention.

Oh my gosh!

What's up with kids today, seriously?

I have a question, though.. don't get offended - is the place you live is ghetto?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

That IS horrible though. I agree, he should press charges.

Hope her feels better soon!

No, not insulted in the least. We LIVE in a nice suburb. He TEACGES in an inner city neighborhood... BAD inner city. Slums would describe it. Broken windows, borded up homes. Dealers on every corner. Gangs run amok (sp?). Most of the kids have at least one parent in jail on drug related charges.

He works in one of the lowest paying schools in the state but refuses to look for a job elsewhere. We have the world's worst insurance benefits and he LOVES teaching where he does because he feels that if he can reach just one kid then its worth it. I agree... better poor and happy than rich and feeling like your life isn't meaningful or helpful.

A few months ago, one of his first 6th grade students came to him. He was a bad kid - detentions every day. Failing every class. Hubby worked one-on-one with the boy and got him to realize that school was a good place that would lead to better places. Well, 5 years later, this 6th grader is now a Junior, with solid grades and on the road to graduation. We ran into this young man at the local mall. He almost hugged Grant and thanked him for making him belief in himself. Then he said "I'm going to make it! Its tough, but I'm going to get my degree and make something of my life." That there is the reason he teaches and why he teaches where he does.

Set the standard of behavior press charges.

This sounds goofy but, there are some judo/aikido holds/moves that are pretty simple to learn and may help him in the future..
    not only to protect yourself but the people that you engage in situations like that.

---------------------------

About 'ghetto' schools......

The worst case of student violence was at a school in Littleton, Colorado-an affluent school in an affluent area.

I'd rather teach at a poor school than teach at a school where
    the mutts can afford to buy shotguns, assault rifles, explosive making materials....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Your hubby is a determined one - That is awesome how he reached through a boy to let him know that school was important. Richard is right, maybe he could learn some "moves" to protect himself, just in case!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Your husband has my sincere admiration.

I REALLY wish I would have had a teacher like him when I was in school!!!! I never seemed to have a teacher to really care about me or my grades. I got picked on CONSTANTLY for being so quiet & never raising my hand in class. I would cry everyday when I came home from school & begged my parents to let me stay home! Actually my mom reminded me that I liked school until 5th grade. My teacher, Mrs. Harris (5th grade) was the nicest I had ever remembered! I really hated school.....if you weren't into some sort of club, sports, academically inclined, etc. you were nothing!
    I'm REALLY sorry to hear he had to get involved in a fight!
    I don't have children yet, but it seems like they're getting worse & worse in their manners, attitudes, etc. Especially with parents like that.....saying fight, fight! What kind of example are those kind of parents setting??? Agh....things have got to get better soon don't they?!
    TiNa

That's the whole darned problem .... kids today think adults are afraid of them .... and they usually are.

I hope Grant is ok soon, and no permanent damage!

Originally posted by AbbyMom
    Your husband has my sincere admiration.
    Mine too!!! I used to teach too, and it gave me so much good feelings when I saw that I really "reached" my kids!! Teaching is a hard job, but VERY rewarding
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I am very impressed with your husband! There will be many kids who will know they were lucky they met him.

But I agree with Richard - I would work on some self-defense sports too!

I hope he heals up okay...and that the principal lets him press charges!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

My husband is a school teacher also and tells me that the worst fights he has broken up are girls
    I think it is disgusting that the mother was standing there and sure do wish that Grant would go ahead and press charges - if for no other reason than to set a precedent. If not, what example does this set and what message is sent?...that it is OK to punch a teacher and that they will get away with it

PS I hope Grant is doing better and feels OK.