Thread: Mast Tumor ?

Mast Tumor ?

Hi to all. I've been a loyal COTD reader for years but I'm new to Pet Talk. My cat Trouble was COTD on Dec 7, 2002.

Anyone know much about mast tumors? My 12 year old cat (Spider) has two small growths on his head (one on his ear). The vet did a needle biopsy and saw some mast cells. She tells me that it doesn't look like a mast tumor though. She gave him cortizone in the site. He's going back for a follow up tomorrow.
    If they don't clear up by then, she will do sugery and will have to remove some ear cartilage.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I know nothing about mast tumors, sorry. What I do know is that both Tubby and Peanut have little "bumps" on various parts of their bodies. I asked the vet about them and he said that they are common in older cats and unless they change, grow or look like they're infected, that I shouldn't worry about them. I actually first noticed them on Peanut so when they started showing up on Tubby I wasn't worried.

It sounds like your vet is on top of the situation though,and if she suggests surgery, then go with it. It's always better to be safe than sorry, and little missing ear cartilage will not harm Spider in the least.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Mast Tumor - Spider is Fine

Spider had his surgery and the biopsy came back OK. It was some sort of infected hair follicle. My vet said the her cat had a similar growth that turned out to be cancer. Her cat requird Chemo - but is OK now. Better safe than sorry. What a great Christmas present.

Some older kitties get small tumors like that, some are just fluid filled sacks, others can be fat filled, some filled with a mass of small blood capillaries. If your vet isn't too concerned, you shouldn't be either. If they are on the skin, or ears like that, its usually nothing cancerous per se.... relax, it sounds like your vet is checking into the proper things...
    Meeeooooowww.