Thread: This makes me so mad!!

This makes me so mad!!

I just got a call from a friend, and she's very worried about her cat Verdi. She wasn't eating for a week or so and got weaker and weaker, and now they have finally taken her to a vet who found out she has a bad abcess in her mouth. She's on antibiotics now but they don't help, so now the vet thinks she may either have panleukopenia or FIV also. Now my friend wanted some advice from me.

Turned out that Verdi wasn't eating much for a while, and they have found out some time ago that something's wrong with one of her teeth, but she hasn't been taken to a vet. My friend's excuse was that she has a toddler at home, and that her boyfriend didn't have the time (or was too ignorant) to take her to a vet. Now Verdi doing very bad and it's not looking good for her.

I also learnt that she's not been vaccinated which I find totally irresponsible since Verdi is allowed to go outside since they have moved.

BTW, it's the same friend who always argues with me that I'm overprotective with my cats. Well, maybe I am, but at least I'm not negligent!

Sorry, I just had to vent!

Kirsten

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I'd be angry too Kirsten! ONE cat, and they can't take proper care of her? I sure hope the poor kitty pulls through this, and if she doesn't that they don't get another one. Sounds like not even a fish would do well there sorry to say. Poor Verdi. If it is panleukopenia, I hope you drill it into their heads about how horribly conatgious it is, and it stays in the environment for many, many years.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Sounds like she shouldn't have animals, much less a kid! I would have to bite my tongue if I were you because that's exactly what I would tell her. I wish her cat could find a real home.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Re: This makes me so mad!!

Originally posted by Kirsten
    wanted some advice
    Turned out that Verdi wasn't eating much for a while, and they have found out some time ago that something's wrong with one of her teeth, but she hasn't been taken to a vet.
    Ignoring a cat health especially one who is not eating is cruel.

Originally posted by Kirsten
    I also learnt that she's not been vaccinated which I find totally irresponsible since Verdi is allowed to go outside since they have moved.
    Vaccinations are essential for inside/outside cats.

This 'friend' should not own cats, I would report her to your local RSCPA, that cat needs a proper home if she gets better.

Unfortunately (for pets) there are too many people in this world like this! It's all very frustrating and venting is about the only thing you can do! I sure hope things turn out OK for Verdi.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Too bad there isn't a nice way to say "I told you so." Then you could tell her just what you told us - that she may think you're over protective, but at you're not negligent....like "someone" you know.

And, by the way, just how good of a friend is this? Maybe you could just tell her that....?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

That makes me mad,too,as some people,are good Cat Guardains,as long,as nothing is wrong,but when they actaully,have to have the Cats,taken care of,and that costs then money,than thats a diffrerent matter.I hope,that that Cat survives,and is rehomed.I am proud,that when Princess needed help,and the Vet couldnt reach me,he did the work,anyways,knowing,that I would have said yes,for My Girl.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I can understand how upset you are!! I got even more upset myself when I learnt yesterday that Verdi is still allowed to go outside, even though the vet has suspected she may have a viral disease! My friend and her bf are just not taking these things serious, they are exactly the kind of people I made www.catmom.de for!

They're caring well for their baby boy btw, but it seems they just don't have time left for the kitty anymore. Verdi is 13 or 14 years old, so I guess she will stay with them till the end.

Besides, we used to be good friends for many years, but since the baby was born, we barely talk because she doesn't have the time. Actually, when she called me the other day to get some advice for Verdi was the first time for many weeks that she called me.

Kirsten

I don't suppose you could kidnap the kitty? Like in the thick of night since they leave her out a lot and in the dark, they wouldn't see you if you are careful. I don't suppose anyone wants to adopt an old gal? (you can't, I know, but do you know of any elderly people that would like an old cat?-- just a thought....)

I have sad news about Verdi.

Appearantly she had FIP and has been PTS yesterday. My friend didn't have much time to tell me anything about it, but obviously the second cat they had, Mozart who had died in 2003, had it too.

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 12-07-2004 at 12:34 PM.

oh dear! I am so sorry! Darn it! Do people know that fip may be in the house once they have it? It is hard to rid (this is what my vet said after I had an fip kitten die), I was told to not adopt any more cats for at least 6 months.... I don't know much but am wondering if it is in the house? Is this discussed on your website?

Well, I'm not quite sure about how long the virus will remain in the environment. I have always thought it would be 6 months, but when I wrote the website article about viral diseases here, people told me I was wrong, and that it would only be a couple of weeks. I saw medical websites with the same information, so this is what I used for the website. Think I'm going to ask my vet, too.

Kirsten