Thread: Traveling with pets

Traveling with pets

I'm thinking about taking Mina with me on a trip to see my family. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should and shouldn't do. She doesn't like being in the carrier when I take her to see her brother so I'm wondering if it is ok on long trips to take her out and let her roam around the car? If not please let me know because I'm still a new meowmie.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Are you going to be the only one in the car with Mina? The one thing I worry about is the cat getting down around the driver's feet if she is out of the carrier. If you are the only one in the car . . . . . and she gets down there . . . .what will you do?

What about a cage instead of a carrier? Then she could see more of her surroundings. Don't know what sort of vehicle you drive.

I'm driving my Mercury Mystque. I'm going to be the only one in the car. My fiance, Lee, can't get anymore time off, and my family really wants to see me so they know I'm alright.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I would not drive in a car/truck/suv alone or with someone, without a kitty being in a carrier. Safetly reasons for both of you. If Mina were to get spooked and jump suddenly into your lap, your going to loose control of the vehicle.

Mina will adjust to being in a carrier. All cats pitch a fit for a little while until they figure out that they aren't going to be let out. Usually what happens is they wear themselves out meowing at top of their lungs and lay down and go to sleep.

The potential loss of two lives isn't worth the risk without a kitty in carrier.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have to agree with Craftlady. It really is best for both of you if you keep her in her carrier, especially since you don't know how she'll be when you let her out. She may be climbing all over the place - and all over you, and under your feet and get caught under the seat and....well...you get the idea. How long is the drive? When I brought T & P from Green Bay, WI to Chicago (3 hour drive) I gave them a sedative. For Peanut it was great. She stayed in her little carrier and I didn't hear a peep out of her. Tubby on the other hand, who has never been in a carrier as long as I've had him, was ALL over the car and meowing and trying to look out the window and meowing and stumbling around from the sedative and meowing and climbing and meowing and....well..it was a nightmare. I don't know as I recommend the sedative, but it is an option.

One thing that might help calm her down is if you put a favorite blanket or something in the carrier with her, maybe a stuffed toy, or anything that will fit that has the smell of "home."

Good luck. I think a trip home might do you good right now so you can grieve with your family.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Its about nine hours. I'm going to see my Aunt in Nashville and will probably make a couple stops along the way.

I think she will definitely settle down on a 9 hour trip. I could be wrong, but once they realize they're not going anywhere (meaning getting out of the carrier) they settle down. Especially since I'm sure it will be naptime somewhere along the line. I say go for it. Worse case is she meows the entire 9 hours...
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Put the carrier on the passenger seat, so she can see you.

I have traveled from Indiana to South West Florida with 3 cats, a total of 1000 miles. Then from South West Florida to West Illinois after losing everything in the hurricanes with 9 cats in the car, a total of 1100 miles, WITHOUT problems.
    First off, do NOT feed kitty 4-6 hours before leaving. Make sure the litter box is used before leaving. Make sure to place a soft towel or favorite blanket in the carrier / cage and a familiar toy. be sure to use the seatbelt shoulder strap to hold it in place incase of sudden stops.
    The first 1/2 hour or so is the worst, until kitty figures out that its safe and going with mommy. Try not to pamper kitty too much if the meowing is bad, try your best to ignore the "protest" something as simple as your finger thru the gate so kitty can smell you is enough until he / she settles down. Make sure an air vent is providing a gentle breeze to kitty as well.
    I've found that once things settle down kitty can be allowed out of the carrier if your trip is really long, but be prepared to make an emergecy stop to replace kitty to the carrier should it become too scared. (I've had as many as 6 out at once and all they did was lay in the back window, or passenger seat and watch the world go by.)
    If your trip is over a couple hours long, make certain to stop and offer a small drink, and a chance to use the litter box. (a small one tucked behind the seat on the back floor is best) and NEVER NEVER open your doors or windows without first placing kitty back in its carrier. The last thing you want is to loose your baby at some rest stop in a moment of panic.
    If your kitty becomes a little car sick at first, don't panic, just pull over and tidy things up without making kitty feel guilty or ashamed. Car sickness usually will happen in the first hour or so of travel.
    Above all.. Cats will pick up YOUR emotional state while traveling. If you are calm and confident, kitty will reflect your mood and settle in to the new experience just fine...
    Any questions ??? Contact me on Yahoo or AIM instant messengers screen name as posted in my profile ... thawks120
    Meeeooooowww.

I dont have transportation,but I know,that the Found cats,didnt care,for going,to the Vets,and that was a short trip.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS