Thread: Artist uses dead animals to make statement

Artist uses dead animals to make statement

From a friend:

There is an artist from the former Soviet Union who has been causing quite a stir with her "art" exhibit. Nathalia Edgemont composes photos, with the use of dead animals (cats, mice, rabbits), to make a statement on Western culture's excesses with regards to the killing and use of animals for apparel. Her point is this: If we find it so acceptable to kill animals and wear their furs on our coats, why should we have a problem with killing animals for art. We're meant to find her work inhumane and excessive, and then ask ourselves why we don't feel the same way when we see someone walking down the street with a burger in their hand, or a rabbit-fur coat.

Nathalia has the support of the Wetterling Gallery , who exhibits her pieces. They have issued a statement explaining their reason for displaying her work. An email from the gallery to a protest site tells us, "The animals that were used for the installations were bred to be snakefood, or simply "put away" as they were not wanted anymore by the petowners." That makes it okay to kill them?

Nathalia's gallery can be viewed here. Viewer discretion advised.

An online petition against her work can be found here if you wish to protest.

What do I think of this? I understand the point she's trying to make, but I do not in any way agree with her notion that further killing of animals (in an undisclosed manner which, it has been suggested, may not be humane to those animals) is the right way to make that point.

I'm interested in hearing the rest of your opinions.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

That is sick!

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I posted a thread about this is the Dog House just very recently. You can see it here:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...threadid=64117
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.