Thread: A bit worried about Luna...

A bit worried about Luna...

I don't know if I'm just too careful, but I think I've noticed some changes in Luna.

You know, she's a big girl, certainly overweight, but I'm getting the impression her fat tissue is getting kind of "loose" lately (sorry, I don't know how to describe this any better). It's not that she has lost weight (at least this is not my impression), but it's more hanging down now, and it seems to me she has gotten a bit "slimmer" in her face and around her neck.

I don't know if this is normal when an overweight cat is getting older. Luna will be 5 years next April, and I have to admit she's not a very active girl; she's never been.

I think it's better to let the vet take a look at her, to be on the safe side, don't you think so?

Kirsten

It never hurts to have an opinion from the white coats. It may be that gravity is effecting her just like it does us. I know on my body things aren't where there used to be five years ago!!

I would consult a vet too, just to be sure!
    Good luck, Luna!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

It never hurts,tohave a check up,but it sounfs like Luna,is maturing,and being inactive,she will get soft,as we do,without exercise! Is she,on a reduced food?
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Most likely is just the sags of age ... but a vet check will make you feel better!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Yes, you're probably right... I have to go there anyway because she'll need a new tube of her UroPet-paste...

Gary, she's not on a calory-reduced diet food, but she's not eating big portions - she would if I would let her, but then she would gain more weight than it would be good for her.

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 11-27-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Speckles has a bit of that as well, but she's 17 1/2.
    She's got alot of flab that hangs down from her tummy and it wobbles back and forth when she walks. I think it's just normal in spayed females.

Prayers on the way it's nothing serious.

Smoochies to you little Luna.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I suppose it's gravity. Wait till you are my age

However if she has to go anyway, then it's one thing to ask about it.

It kind of sounds like a gravity/age thing.

Does the vet think she's overweight?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Well, but 4 and half year is not that old, isn't it? At least too young for that gravity thing, I guess...

And yes, the vet thinks she's overweight, but she hasn't reached a state yet that would cause problems. I wouldn't mind if she would lose some weight, but I want to be sure that this does not happen because of an illness.

Other people probably won't even notice the changes I'm seeing, but I know her so well... and I can sense that something is different. She also seems to be a bit depressed lately, maybe because I'm already spending a lot of time at the company's office that has promised me to offer me a job next year...

Kirsten

A little update...

Luna went to the white coat today, and she was very upset about it. Obviously she could read my mind, because she was hiding and ran away from me. But when we were in the car, she calmed down.

The vet was very happy with her looks, not too overweight which is a good thing, since Luna is really a lazy girl. She hasn't lost any weight though, and the vet thinks that my impression about Luna being slimmer in the face and around her neck was age-related. She still weighs 5,6 kg, which she already did at our last vet visit.

The vet also checked her heart, and it was fine.

Kirsten

Great news, Kirsten! Their body shape does start to change as they get older. Tubby used to be a sleek, all muscle furball. Now he looks like an old man. You can tell just by looking at him that he's an older cat. Not much you can do about it except maybe get a kitty treadmill for them. Peanut on the other hand, has her long hair to hide any body changes so she still looks like a teenager instead of the old lady that she is.

Oops....OUCH!...Peanut, watch the daggers!....sorry...didn't mean to call you an old lady. You're my little sweety pie, you know that. Now let meowmy go get a bandage...or two or three.....
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

First, I'm so glad that everything is ok. Its always so tough to be worried about our furbabies.

Originally posted by slick
    Speckles has a bit of that as well, but she's 17 1/2.
    She's got alot of flab that hangs down from her tummy and it wobbles back and forth when she walks. I think it's just normal in spayed females.
    I used to think it was only in females by my two boys are the ones with the wobbly and squishy tummys. We just call it their pods.

These are not the droids you were looking for

So glad to hear that Luna is OK and thanks for the uppydate. I really don't think Speckles has changed at all in the 7 years I've had her. She did lose about a pound in the first year I had her but she stilll remains **ahem** fluffy....and at her age, I'm not even going to try to get her lose weight now.
    We just call it their pods

LOL Nice name for it!!
    sorry...didn't mean to call you an old lady.

Poor Princess....just close your ears to such talk. You don't look a day over 14....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by slick
    She did lose about a pound in the first year I had her but she stilll remains **ahem** fluffy....and at her age, I'm not even going to try to get her lose weight now.
    Slick, I found out that at their age, it's good to have a little extra "fluff." They need those "reserves" in case they get sick. I'm sure that's one of the reasons Tubby did as good as he did through this whole thing. If he was a skinny cat, he would have had no reserves to keep him going for those days when he wasn't eating. The vet mentioned that you really don't want them to be "fat," but a few extra pounds doesn't hurt as they age.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl