Thread: What nationalities are predominent in your area?

What nationalities are predominent in your area?

My brother in law was here to visit this week and he mentioned how we didn't have any Russians here. I hadn't given it much thought before. I am sure we have a few, but no huge communities or anything. Anyways, we got to talking about how it's interesting how different cities and towns have different ethnic groups. My brother in law knows so much about Russians and can identify the language or a person easily yet I've never met a Russian in my life that I know of. He says the majority of his highschool is Russian.

I was interested in hearing about Russians from him. And on the same page, he was fascinated that I knew so much about Greeks, Assyrians, and Indians. (I don't really know much, just recognize some of their traditions and can identify their looks and language for the most part.)

I love hearing about different cultures and beliefs. I feel robbed that I haven't grown up in a more diverse area. What is predominent in your area?

p.s. Please don't turn this into a racist thread. I don't want to hear anything negative.

Thank you Wolfie!

Strange you commenton this because where I used to live, 60 miles from here, the majority of minorities were Asian, closely followed by Hindu Indians. It took me a while to get used not seeing ANY of these nationalities anywhere around here. I guess they all settled in my old town? LOL

Where I live now is mostly Puerto Rican, followed by Mexicans. The scary thing here is that these two groups hate each other and there is a lot of fighting between them, and gangs are very strong. I hate to admit it, but there is a lot of racial tension in general around here. We are ripe for a major racial riot soon.

Where I grew up, well, we were the only Catholic family for blocks - apparently the town was rich with German Jewish immigrants. I learned sooo much about the Jewish faith and even as a kid made sure mom bought kosher so my friends could come for lunch! A few blocks from my town was rich with Russian Jewish immigrants. To this day, I feel the story of Hannukah is beautiful and I wish more people knew the story and embraced its meaning in their heart.

We are a big mix of nationalities in this area. Okay, I'm a melting pot myself, with over 11 nationalities easily identified on my family tree.

Where I grew up, there were lots of French-Canadian families. So much so that most kids I knew called one set of grandparents Mémé and Pépé, and the other Grandma and Grandpa. Also lots of people of long-ago emigrated English ancestors (pilgrims and the like), and Worcester, nearby, had a very big Swedish population. Yup, I'm all three of those - and more!

Where we live now is very ethnically diverse. There's a big Russian immigrant population - we have a Russian section once a month in the local weekly paper. But our gas station attendents come from all over, Pakistan, Ukraine, Russia, Guatemala ...

There's a big Irish-American population, of course, and African-Americans - everyone knows that about Boston, right? And Haitians, Brazilians, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Greeks, the city my church is in (one over) is heavily Armenian ...

I love it! You never know what accents you are going to encounter where!

Well lets see. Where I grew up and lived the most of my life was on an Indian Reservation so most of the people were Chippewa Indians. Now I live somewhere were its basically Norweigians (sp?) and people around that nationality. I miss where I used to live though. Even though it was kind of scary at time.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I'm in a "melting pot" of different nationalities. Many Russians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Asians, Bosnians, you name it, it's here. For the most part the gangs are kept at bay by a city wide ordinance prohibiting teens from being out after 11(?) PM without an adult present. People used to be terrified years ago of even venturing into this city, but now it's become quite an upscale, and desirable place to move. House prices are off the charts. We have a little bit of everything here, beaches, large woods, nice ritzy areas, along with some less than desirable areas. Multi-cultural all around.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

NZ is multi-cultural, in my neighbourhood we have a lot of Asian people, they have bought a lot of the new houses in the sub-division opposite me, they often buy houses, come here to university and then re-sell them and go back home, further down we have a somalian community, although they appear to be leaving.,come to think of it I have never met a Russian person in NZ, of course they exist.

We have quite a few South African people, one of the winners on Fear Factor emigrated to NZ and is quite a celebrity here, nice guy.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Chinese

At home it's a mixture of French and Scottish laced with bits of everything , Chinese, English, Austrian, Indian, German, Dutch, Jamaican, and Russian to name but a few! This is in a small village with less than a hundred houses too; I love Canada's cultural diversity!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Americans?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I go to an international high school lol and I live accross the street from it, for the most part we have a tone of people from South Korea, some from China, and Japan, several from Brazil and Germany, we have a few east indians, several from Afganistan, some from Mexico, a few from the Caribian, a couple from austrailia... well you get the picture lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Mostly Flemish people (Belgian). In bigger town, like Ghent, there are lots of North Africans (Tunesia, Algeria, Marokko), and also blacks from our former colony Kongo.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

We live in SW Arizona.... I'll give you 2 guesses! And I'll give you a hint... we don't have many Russians here either. hehe
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Here in California, we have pretty much everyone. Caucasians, Asians, Mexicans, Middle Easterns, Indians, Afghans, Pakistanis, Africans, you name it. Everyone's here. I don't think we have many Russians though. We only have 2 'white' families on our whole street........everyone else is something else. I ***love*** the diversity here...everyone is so accepting of everyone else. Its wonderful.

Last year when we were visiting family in Pakistan, I remember sitting outside my aunt's house, just watching the local residents going about their daily lives. It struck me that almost everyone was of the same race, and boy did it feel WEIRD!!!! I wanted the diversity back. LOL!

I was going to say what Richard said. "American"

I live very close to Amgen, a large pharmaceutical company that employs a lot of people from India. Our apartment complex is used by them for corporate housing, so I'd say about half the people there are from India.

Other than that, we seem to have every culture there is.

My hair stylist is German, my nail person is Vietnamese, one of my close friends is Greek, my husband's family is Puerto Rican, etc. Its wonderful living is such a diverse place.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Toledo has a lot of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants from Poland, Lebanon and Hungary. There is one area of town that is "Polish Village" and of course Jamie Farr made famous Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot dogs. There are a lot of other cultures as well, but those are the main ones I think of in this area.