Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Icky Holiday food!!

Icky Holiday food!!

There is the homemade fruitcake, the dish that Aunt Esther makes-you know, the one made from deer blood and sweetbreads- Uncle Frank's bathtub gin and that "Old World Recipe" that Cousin Estele whips up because, "The holidays aren't the holidays unless you have pickled skunk feet in a cream cheese and yougurt sauce!".

You have seen it before, that pot luck dish with one spoonful taken out of it after a whole evening of feasting, the stuff you ate on a dare from your sibs....The dish, that you tell the person who brought it, "I can't possibly fit this into the fridge!" Just so you don't have to toss it out the next day...

What is the dish that shows up on, around your table every holiday/special occasion??

Mine???

Those pearl onions in cream! Ewwwwwwww! I get queasy thinking about them!!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Re: Icky Holiday food!!

Originally posted by RICHARD
    Those pearl onions in cream! Ewwwwwwww! I get queasy thinking about them!!!!
    Hey, those are my favourite!!

Mine?

That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it.

Oh yes, then there was this beet thingy that my Aunt brought for Christmas dinner one year.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

LOL Richard! My grandmom used to have those every year, along with pickled beats... then she's swish them around on her plate and have one big muddly looking slop pf turkey, stuffing (that was ALWAYS green) yams, corn, etc... she claimed it all went down to the same place. YUCK!

My very annoying Granma on my Dad's side makes this for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, but she lives too far away for us to go there for dinner. Anyway, she ALWAYS has my Grandpa drive here a couple days later with the most disgusting stuffing in the world! I don't even know what's in it but it looks like it came from the Garbage dump, it's awful!
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 11-23-2004 at 02:55 PM.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

when my mom attempts to make homemade macaroni each christmas and it comes out half burnt and rubbery and we have to force it down our throats so there arent hurt feelings and hopefully we can keep the family battles down to a minimum... this year we might actually be able to leave the chairs and other heavy objects usually seen flying through the air, unglued/unlocked from the floor

Re: Re: Icky Holiday food!!

[i]Mine?
    That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it. [/B]
    What the hell is that????? It sounds totally disgusting - are you sure you're supposed to eat it?
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Re: Re: Re: Icky Holiday food!!

Originally posted by lynnestankard
    What the hell is that????? It sounds totally disgusting - are you sure you're supposed to eat it?
    Actually, Lynne, it's quite yummy! Yams are sweet potatoes. I have no idea what the [i]proper[/b] English term is for them. They're baked in butter and brown sugar, and yes, I could do without the marshmallows, but the yams themselves are yummy! And sweet potatoes are so much better for you than regular potatoes.

I was never big on cranberries. Unfortunately Terry looooves cranberries and can't understand why I don't like them. I love cranberry juice, just not the goop that is served at Thanksgiving.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Not too big on cranberries or yams... *gag*
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Re: Re: Re: Icky Holiday food!!

Originally posted by lynnestankard
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL...

I'd rather eat the pickled skunk feet!!!

Sorry T&P!!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Creamed onions are my FAVORITE And love mushing them up with eveything on the plate! (On this one we part ways, Amigo)

Ok, here's one I'll bet few of you have heard of. My parents are from Norway and Sweden and fish dishes of all sorts are served at Christmas. Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye? The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because? We even sing holiday songs about how we all hate to eat the dreaded lutefisk Another favorite, HEADCHEESE, which is not cheese at all, but pickled pig snouts, feet, blood and a host of other good things all held together with gelatin. The original "mystery meat!" Guess there's a reason why Norweigans are called "squareheads"

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Green bean casserole. Blech. And Cranberry goop.

I like sweet potato casserole, but I make it the southern way with pecan & brown sugar topping. Lots of sugar and butter!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Re: Re: Icky Holiday food!!

Originally posted by slick
    That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it.
    Me too! YUCK!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Us Southerners call it Sweet Tator Casserole and it is wonderful!

I can't stand CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!!!!!!GAG

Originally posted by tatsxxx11
    Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye? The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because?
    Sandra, when I was very young, I remember my Swedish grandma soaking out that dried cod in our basement at Christmas time. That part was interesting; at first it looked like bones, then after a few weeks became something that some folks (not me) thought tasted good. I stayed with the potatis korv, which was good!

God Jul Freckles!

Actually, i really do like lutfisk, when it's smothered in cream sauce! lol! Still slimy but really has no fishy taste!

I make homemade potato korv Want me to send you some???

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~