Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just dropping in to say "hi".

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Cute photos! I am curious though, how they ship chicks through the mail? Isn't that mean?
    As soon as the little chicks hatch, they put them in small boxes, with holes on the tops, and they ride in the trucks with the mail guys to the post office, where they're picked up.

The reason they send them in a small box is so that they can keep eachother warm.

I was surprised, too! The postal people know what's in the boxes, because they can hear them cheeping, so they get treated gently (no shaking or tipping) and kept in nice warm areas.

They didn't seem any the worse for wear when they got here. They were so tiny & cute! I took them out and dipped each beak in a water/vitamin solution and they were just as happy as could be.

So - it didn't seem mean. They weren't exposed to shaking or temperature extremes, and although the box was small they had room to stretch out and walk around a bit.

We built them a nice, roomy, heated coop. There's a rooster (I named him Kramer) and 24 hens.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Haha, I thought they were sent through the mail. I just had a totally different thought! LOL! Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have any more pictures of the chickens?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Great pics of Max ... now I would love to see Jake ... as I am a new Sheltie owner too!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kim, I haven't had the heart to remove Jake's picture from my signature yet - but he passed away in July from cancer.

I know I need to change the signature to avoid confusion, but it's hard for me to do. I tried to make a pretty "rainbow bridge" type picture of him but it didn't work.

If anybody's willing to help out with that I'd sure appreciate it!

So sorry to hear that you lost Jake. How incredibly sad - how old was he?

Max looks adorable in his orange sweatshirt. How funny that he takes care of the chickens.

I'm sorry that your husband is still in Iraq. How hard that must be - worrying about his safety and just having to get along without him. I will be keeping you and him in prayer!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Thanks for your kind words, 6dogmom. Jake was 7 1/2. We got him as a pup. I really do need to change my siggy - it's been almost 6 months already..

Don't hurry - there is no time limit on loss.

I love the fact that Jake watches the chicks. It's so cute.

Thanks so much for popping in ................. so sorry to hear about Jake ......

Keep in touch .......... Love seeing pics of your furkids ....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."