Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litter re-visited

Litter re-visited

With all the talk lately about different litters, I decided to experiment with a few and eventually found one that I think is a keeper. It's from PetSmart and I think it's their "house" brand. Exquisicat is the name brand and I bought the unscented one.

Now for the story, I had been using Tidy Cats for multiple cats for years and years. Never had a problem with it, but Peanut has not pooped in the litter box for years either. She pees in it - no problem - but evidently preferred the basement floor for poop. This was no problem since it's an unfinished basement. Then everyone here started talking about how Tidy Cats doesn't clump that well and I thought "Hmmm...." I had only ever used Tidy Cats as a scoopable and had never tried any other brands. I have to agree the Exquisicat clumps much better than Tidy Cats.

Also, and this is the most important, I LOVE the fact that it is unscented! I could not stand the fake perfumey type smell the other brands use and I always wondered how the cats could stand it since there sense of smell is supposedly better than ours. Well....evidently Peanut couldn't stand the smell either, and that's why she was pooping outside the box! I've slowly been introducing the new stuff, and now that the boxes are 100% Exquisicat and 0% Tidy Cats, she is back to pooping in the box!! I couldn't believe it, and I'm so happy! Also, the Tidy Cats was really sticking to Tubby's butt a lot and I had to keep brushing his butt to get it off, but ever since the Exquisicat is 100%, I haven't had to brush his butt once, and I'm so happy!

I never really knew what a big difference the right litter would make. But now you can count me in as an endorsement for Exquisicat Unscented Scoopable litter! Oh, and another good thing is that it's cheaper than Tidy Cats, so it's a win-win-win all the way around!

Oh, and I tried to find it online, but it didn't seem like they have the same exact stuff online. I have found it in two different PetSmart stores so I know they carry it in the store, but I couldn't give you a link to check it out online.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Wonderful!!! You find a great litter and can stick to it! I am glad you found one that pleased Peanut's sensitive nose!

We had to use only unscented with RB Bert as well.

I've been using that and the BJs store brand for years; I think they are manufactured by the same company who then slaps the private label on it. Both brands work great, and they're cheap for clumping litter.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

One of my mom's cats has never wanted to poop in the box either...she prefers under the TV - which is a problem because my mom has new carpet. Maybe its the litter she doesn't like. I'll pass on the clue to mom..Thanks

Thanks for the info Debbie ... I have seen that in PS and often wondered! I may just give it a try too!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Sounds great! I wish there was a Petsmart around here. I tried the Fresh Scent Scoopable, and I haev to say... I HATE IT! Anyone want about 200 paw points? I'll never buy it again. blechhh ( not to mention it tastes terrible in a bowl of cereal! )

I tried the Special Kitty from Walmart, and that worked pretty well.

That's excellent news about the litter working for both Peanut and Tubby. I know to non-cat "owners" its not a big deal, but it really is.

I'll have to try that in one of their boxes. We like and use Fresh Step, but I'm always open to something that works better.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Thanks for the info. I will have to try that kind. I use Tidy Cat and I'm not thrilled with it clumping abilites and we also have problems with it clinging to Ripley and now Rocky and Rumor's rear ends.

From Decker with Love

I just got a great hint from the shelter, I'm sure many of you already know this, but its worth repeating.

They told me that every time they add some litter to the box, add a handful of baking soda (make sure you get all the clumps out). Not only does it cut down on that "wonderful" smell we have all come to love, but it also for some unknown reason cuts down on the dust.

I went to the local Wal-mart and bought a bunch of boxes, and they were on sale too!!

I have already seen a great deal of the dust go away and the smell is well, not there!

Now if we can only find something that will take that "fresh" laid smell away!! Why do they always have to do their business just before someone comes into your house??!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Very interesting Debbie! We will have to give this a try ourselves!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

The favorite here,is the Pet Valu Clumping Litter,Scented,and that is not available sadly,inmost,of the US! the Johnny Cat,is very good,too!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

That's the one I use!!
    I love it - and the boys love it too - so much in fact that they try to spread it all over the house!

I forgot to mention that it is a bit dusty, but not too bad, and now thanks to Catsnclay I can try the baking soda to help with that a bit. Thanks for the tip Catsnclay!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

No problem, I was really amazed how much the dust was cut down when so little was added in!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I tried Fresh Scoop multi-cat formula at first but the litter itself stunk so when the boys added to it, it was not pleasant AT ALL. I switched to Fresh Step with crystals and while my boys automatically stink more 'cause they're kittens, it is MUCH better and everyone is happier.