Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did you choose the breed/dog you did?

Why did you choose the breed/dog you did?

I just thought this would be interesting to find out why you chose the dogs that you have. Whether you bought a purebred from a breeder, or you went and picked out your kids from the shelter (or they picked you ).

I would have never even known about Annie if it hadn't been for me going to the ladies house to rescue Annie's half sister. The dog was pregnant and she said that her husband said he was going to shoot her if she couldn't find a home for her, so I went over there and got her.. The lady was holding Annie when she came out to meet me when I got there, and I asked her if she wanted to find a home for her too... She said "No, we are going to keep her but if I ever decide we don't want her anymore, I'll give you a call." Well exactly 3 weeks to the day after I took the other dog in, I got a call that she wanted to come see the puppies and she also said that they didn't want Annie anymore (at the time I first saw her she was "little and cute" but when I got her she was about 3 mos. old and she wasn't tiny anymore so they decided they no longer wanted her.) I am really glad that I did go to rescue the other dog because Annie is my baby and I couldn't imagine life without her. I feel like it was fate for me to go and see Baby, and then to wind up getting Annie.

This is the dog I went and rescued originally (who has found a wonderful home!). She is a pug/boxer mix.

Annie is 1/2 pug, 1/2 dachshund.

Bailee was the result of an accidental litter between Annie and my moms friends double dapple dachshund that we were babysitting.. Both her and Annie are spayed now, so theres no chance of anymore accidents.
    She's 3/4 dachshund, and 1/4 pug.

About a month or so after Felony passed away I really wanted to find another dog that was med. sized, but I could never find the right one. It didn't matter to me what breed he or she was. But I was looking on the local on-line classifieds one day and came across a boston terrier/pit bull mix and contacted his owners to see if they still had him... Well thankfully they did, and after waiting a couple of weeks for everything to get straightened out, I finally was able to get him.
    Last edited by molucass; 11-15-2004 at 12:51 PM.

I didn't pick Samantha... she picked me!

My mom chose a Sheltie as our first dog (I was dead set on a Border though). She contacted a breeder and luckily, he still had 2 available sables left. We had to wait about two weeks (he was busy with shows) and then we drove up 4 hours to see the remaining pups. There were 3 sable pups in an x-pen. Kai, his brother and a reserved pup. We chose Kai because the other available one was terrified of us and I remembered that Shelties tend to be more reserved so I figured it was best if we went with the more outgoing one.

I found Kaedyn at the Vancouver Animal Shelter on my first day as a volunteer dog walker. He was the second dog I saw that day, and I knew it was love right away. He was very quiet and had his head down low. I wanted to give the sad guy a happy life so I called my mom and we filled out the paper work right away.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I didn't choose them, they chose me.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My dad and I were looking for a Lab, but I've always wanted a Golden. We went to Pet expo and saw a beautiful Golden named Julien that was there with the breeder.Dad started talking to the breeder and we ended up going to see the pups. There were three left, Emma, her sister, and a pup that was going home that day. Emma was the laid back one, she was so cute! lol, three weeks later we picked up Emma and she came home with us.

When we got Moco we were just coming out of a movie theatre. My mom and I went to go see My Dog Skip. For some reason the movie reminded us of our old dog Benji. Anyways we were both crying through the whole movie! There was a Pet store right beside the theatre so we went inside and saw Moco....we later found out that all the dogs from that Pet store were from a puppy mill

We chose bassets because my husband and I both like large dogs, but we did not feel that we could take on "full-sized" dogs. (Being in the ministry, you do not always have your choice, for example, of the kind of fence around the back yard of a parsonage, etc.) Bassets are large dogs with short legs. They have that laid-back "big dog" personality. Honestly, I don't think a dog can get much more laid-back than a basset.

i got Beanie after my yorkie died. my family and i went to the local shelters and the moment my parents saw him said "OMG it's a pomerainian! we're takin him home!" he ended up lovin us too!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I always wanted a dog with a herding dog look because I loved it and really loved Collies. When I found out about the Sheltie, I researched on it and found out it would fit perfectly into our lifestyle. I didn't want to get too large a dog as they'd be too big for our house (which wouldn't be fair for the dog to begin with) and I didn't want anything that required too much energy because I wouldn't be able to provide for it, etc.

I guess what initially drove me to the breed was its look and then learning about its charactar got me stuck on them. As for which dog to choose, well Mickey teased us by sticking his tongue out at us. So as payback, we brought him home.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I didn't chose the smaller pups, my mom likes small breeds, she likes cockers, yorkies and shih-tzu's the most, and she went with shih-tzu's(obviously ).

I chose a Boxer because I just fell in love with the breed, I don't even know how it happened because Ive never even met one at the time, but I think they are so gorgeous and I love their personality and just everything really, I talked to alot of Boxer owners and read lots of books first though, just to make sure!

I loved Rottweilers way before Boxers, but my mom didn't want anything to do with that idea

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

We really don't have a reason why we chose Katie. Katie was the only puppy at the pet store, and we decided to get her. Not knowing her breed info, she turned out great.

I chose the miniture schnauzer because it had alot to do with katie. Katie is half MS and we wanted a dog just like katie. I decided to get Elvis because he got my attention, i couldn't take my eyes off him.

Well, Same with most people, Frisk-man (the pug/rat terrier mix) chose me I had a choice of all these purebred dogs (like beagles and cockers), but Frisk-man just basically attacked me lol, I love mutts

We don't know why we chose Ethan (The whippet mix), actually, mum chose him. I think it was because no one would adopt him because he was so timid and was being hard to potty train. I guess mum felt sorry for him.

Two times I went to the shelter to get a shepard/collie mix. I came back with Lacey and Mandy! It didn't really matter what kind of dog I got, they just sort of 'called out' to me somehow.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

We got Blaze from a breeder, and wanted a Border Collie because we knew what their personality was and about them since we had had a previous Border and loved them a lot!! When we went to pick out a puppy out of 7 or so, Blaze was the first puppy that came whining up to me and begged me to hold him!! I couldn't not have this adorable puppy--and what a coincidence--he looked almost exactly like our last Border Collie, Bandit! So Blaze really picked me also! But yes, Border Collies will always have a special place in my heart, especially my buddies, Bandit and Blazer!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

We were actually looking for a yorkie or maltese...and went to a pet store (bad idea I know..I have learned so much since then, so don't fuss) because the sign said yorkies. They were out of yorkies but had 2 yorkiepoos..Gracie and her brother...I just wanted to hold her for a minute..and ended up going back 3 times that week holding her every time and just couldn't not buy her. She was 9 weeks old, 3 pounds and the cutest little thing. My husband kept telling me I wouldn't be happy with her because she wasn't an AKC yorkshire terrier, but she was so darn loveable and those eyes just melted my heart..so I took her home July 31.

Since then.....I realize I paid WAY too much for her, shouldn't have taken her at 9 weeks (socialization period) shouldn't have even stepped foot in a pet store looking for a pet...I have since learned about puppy mills, back yard breeders, rescue sites, etc. BUT I am so thrilled to have my Gracie...and if I HAD known all these things beforehand she wouldn't be in my life..

But I am still learning...

My ex and I were just drivng to office max and there was a sign for "retriever puppies" on the side of the road, right in front of a chik fil a. Definitely not the ideal place to get puppies, but, I wanted to see how they were being handled and how knowledgable the lady was. She was super nice, the puppies were all healthy looking and very nice tempered. She had a permit to sell them there, and, I fell in love with Finn's coloring. It was a little chilly outside, and, I held him in my sweatshirt while Chris played with some of the others. They were all sweet, but, Finn was the only reddish colored one. I would have liked one of his little yellow sisters, too, but, we could really only get one. Finn won us both over. So, we went to Office Max, and, went back and got him. And, now, nine months later....he's my salvation!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer