Thread: Need adavice on my brother's dog

Need adavice on my brother's dog

My brother has a 2 or 3 yr old half lab and half golden retriver who lives inthe pen with my mostly lab puppy. Every morning when I feed them (in 2 seperate pans) Shelby (the grown one) will not let Shadow eat. She'll get on top of him or anything to keep him from eating. I have to get him out of the pen everyday so he can eat. This is starting to be a problem. Any suggestions?
    Leah

St. Catharines, ON, Canada (city close to Niagara Falls)
    Sorry, I have no suggestions, but I definitiely recommend posting this in the Dog General. There you'll get some great and expert advice!

I don't know much about dogs, but I agree with guineapiggie13, maybe it would be better if this was posted in dog general. They probably have dogs and know more about dogs than we do. Good luck!

"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday." - unknown author

well I'm a dog person and I've had that problem before.. put the plates a bit farther apart having the bully big dog closer up front nearest you ... stay there and watch them eat.. make sure you bring out some special treats and the hose with you... whenever the bully big dog goes near the puppy call it back to its own dish and reward it with an extra special treat.. if the bully big dog doesn't listen to you and goes for the puppy squirt it with the hose.. do this until the behavior stops and trust me it wont take that long at all if you use both positive treats and negative squirt of the water for reinforcements. After this has stopped and you no longer have to call him away and treat him or squirt him with the hose still every now and then like every other day watch them eat and tapper off to once a week just to make sure he doesn't start doing that again.

hi. well i have owned many dogs and i have experianced this many times, even with my dog and cat. what i would do is to first put a leash on the bigger dog, then put down the food bowl for the older dog first, after that put the puppies bowl down on the opposite side of the pen. you should have a couple of dog treats in your pocket for the older dog, you can use the hose or a spray bottle of cold water too. when the older dog goes to eat the puppies food say NO in a stern voice and pull the leash back towards you. when your dog turns around to his/her own bowl reward him/her with kind words and a treat. that way the dog will learn that bugging the puppy is bad and eating his\her own food is good. you will prolly havta do this for awhile, but you will hopfully soon see a difference.

Why don't you just feed them separately? Also, how about NILIF (nothing in life is free)? It'll kick the bully dog down a couple notches on the Alpha scale. Command a Down or Sit. Down is better, because it's a much more submissive position. Then, give the dog its food. Also, since bully dog seems to rule the roost, give bully dog his food first.

Have you guys considered letting the dogs live in the house? This way they can be better monitered and seperated. How old is the puppy? I'm assuming the pen is big enough to accomodate 2 dogs, but you also have to consider that every time they turn around, there is the other and they really have no escape from each other except the other side of the pen (and who wouldn't want an escape from a puppy?). In the house they would be able to go to another room or a crate and there would be less tension. Shelby has a young intruder in her space and while for now it's just scuffles for food, it could turn into fights for space.

If they must continue to live in the pen, then the above suggestions are going to be your best bet. But IMO they would both be happier being in the house with the rest of their "pack", you and your brother. Right now, Shelby is the alpha making up her own rules, you are just the bringer of food. If they lived inside, they would learn that you and your brother are the "alpha dogs" and your rules are the ones that apply.

Just wondering if things have changed?!?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I agree with pit chick. My puppy tends to be a pain for her mom. (The puppy is not aggressive, but is a bit of an ankle biter.) Outside, there is an area with a 3 foot fence that my dog can jump over, but the puppy can't, and inside the dog can go downstairs, and the puppy can't.) Anytime the puppy gets to be too much, my dog has a sancuary she can go to.

everyone needs some time alone.