Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Meet my future racer... Ice Princess

It is being in a cage for those hours that bothers me, as I am sure it bothers many of the dogs as well.

Sorry GD, stomp and throw as big a fit as you want. I am only telling the truth as I see it.

Jay

She's a beautiful girl, I remember going to her web page when you linked it on GT.

But I also wanted to say I think the debating should be kept to the debate thread, it's going to really wear everyone's nerves thin if it crops up in every thread with grey pics or stories, and I personally really love seeing the pics and stories without the venom!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

You know.. it's people like you that make me thankful that I'm the kind of person I am

I posted this thread to show off my babydoll.. and all you can do is spit venom.. You must lead a very fulfilling life

And now I've learned that not only are you a bitter spiteful person, you're also disrespectful of people's requests. Again, I ask that you refrain from spewing hateful, deceitful, and misinformed opinions... Unless of course, you'd care to back up your banter with some facts about yourself.. Until which time, you're nothing more than a punk kid with a spraypaint can tagging walls to try and get your message across.

Ever notice how perfectly neat threads get turned into things like this when you post to them? Mind your business, please.

Originally posted by K9soul
    She's a beautiful girl, I remember going to her web page when you linked it on GT.

But I also wanted to say I think the debating should be kept to the debate thread, it's going to really wear everyone's nerves thin if it crops up in every thread with grey pics or stories, and I personally really love seeing the pics and stories without the venom!
    Thank You!!!
    It'd appear I'm not the only one noticing this.

Greyhound Daddy.. don't mind the venom comments, etc.. I know you're a good person!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

he is a good person, and he loves his greyhound sequoia like crazy.

i think whats happened overall is that someone posted a cute thread about their new pet greyhound, then some pro racing people came in and gave their line. then anti racing people came and and responded with their own line.

now its spilled over onto all threads about greyhounds.

racing is a very controversial sport. i think a thread that has something like "look at my cute greyhound roaching on my sofa" is one thing and is pretyt neutral. i can see why this thread got a bit controversial because it IS about a racing dog. therefore the issues of racing is present.

maybe a suggestion for pet talk is to only have racing threads in the dog house area, and only have purely pet related threads in this and other areas.

Originally posted by true
    he is a good person, and he loves his greyhound sequoia like crazy.

i think whats happened overall is that someone posted a cute thread about their new pet greyhound, then some pro racing people came in and gave their line. then anti racing people came and and responded with their own line.
    On Count 1... I stand guilty as charged I lovers my babydoll...Both of 'em.

On Count 2...The WHOLE mess got started over someone who doesn't even owna hound yet decided to spout off and make greyhound owners look like stark raving lunatics. IMO...

I am crazy about my girl, Sequoia... that's a given. I'm proud of her past as a racer and proud of her present as a 45mph couch tater (even though she pooped in my room last ngiht when I forgot to let her poop on our late night walk) Oh well.. it cleaned up just fine!

I regards to Icee and her day to day life... I implore you guys to take a look at the page I've created for her. ]Icee's Page She and her littermates are happy hounds who are living a good life. How many litters of puppies do you guys know of who get to spend at least their entire first year together? Greyhounds do. Most other breeds are snatched away from their mothers at 8 weeks old and sold to someone who hasn't had a background check, a home visit, and interview.

They are getting far more love and attention than what many people would have others know. I'm not here to espouse the virtues or vices of the racing industry. I dont know enough about it... but,what I am learning is there are a broad range of people with definite (I hate to use this word) agendas.

Caroline, I've already told you that I respect your views and your passion and compassion. I know you dont think that all racers are treated poorly and it's the ones that ARE who you're most concerned with... but, you know what.. those hounds are the same one's that EVERYONE is concerned with, too! I've seen you ask countless times for people to take the time to go to a track, a kennel, an adoption agency... well, I've done all of that.. and by all accounts I've been to what's considered one of the "last stops" as far as race tracks are concerned. and while there were things there that didn't quite sit well with me, the look on the hound's faces and in their eyes when they were coming back from their run was just priceless...

ok.. tired fingers...

So how bout anudder pic of Icee

"...Man, brudder sure can hold his breff for a looooooong time.. hope he leebs some fer meee..."

racing is a very controversial sport. i think a thread that has something like "look at my cute greyhound roaching on my sofa" is one thing and is pretyt neutral. i can see why this thread got a bit controversial because it IS about a racing dog. therefore the issues of racing is present.

maybe a suggestion for pet talk is to only have racing threads in the dog house area, and only have purely pet related threads in this and other areas.

Funny, you don't sound like a raving fanatic.

What you say makes sense to me. I have no problem with Dog
    Sports to test dog skills, but I have many problems with the dog
    racing industry that is so very willing to overbreed these dogs &
    casually drop them when they can no longer win races (make
    money). Dog racing is for the entertainment & enrichment of
    humans, not the dogs.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by lizbud
    Funny, you don't sound like a raving fanatic.

I have many problems with the dog
    racing industry that is so very willing to overbreed these dogs &
    casually drop them when they can no longer win races (make
    money).
    Count 1... Thanks

Count 2... That's what makes pre-adoption a winning proposition for everyone involved. The breeder/trainer who owns Icee's litter has a list of people 2 and 3 deep who would love to be the adoptive parents to these pups when they are done racing. And not just Icee's litter. Her owner has a littler 3 weeks older than Icee's who have the same lists going

As far as overbreeding, from what I've learned, it's not greyhounds that have the overbreeding problem.. it's labs, goldens, pitties, etc., etc., etc ...What happens to all of the pups we see every weekend in the sunday paper that dont get bought?

The quote was not directed at you. Didn't you notice the source
    of it ? "Originally posted by true"

That's the one I wrote in response to. Scratch Count 1.

Count 2 sounds like a good program and long overdue.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by PJ's Mom
    True, but people don't have to profit from dogs being run ragged on a track.
    I don't think 30 seconds of work every four or five days would qualify as being "run ragged."

Where do you live PJ's Mom? Maybe we can get you out to a track and see for yourself.
    Last edited by jcsperson; 11-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.

You have mischaracterized the nature of that thread. I recall it differently. Several people, including long-time PTers, can attest to how it actually went. Here's my version and see who believes my version or yours:

A young lady posted a thread with a photo of her cousin's greyhound. She described it as "20-30 pounds underweight," "shy," and with "scars." While the tone of her post seemed to be happy that her cousins had adopted a greyhound, her manner suggested that it had been abused. She even put one of these after her description of him.

I suggested that a greyhound 20-30 pounds underweight would be emaciated. The greyhound in the photo looked absolutely normal.

You know as well as I do that greyhounds have very thin skin and scars are common on pets as well as racers. Shyness is typical of newly adopted dogs.

I made a number of offers:

1) To find out the dog's racing name. With that I could find out the kennel or racing owner and where the dog raced and his racing weight so his new owners could establish a baseline for determining his proper pet weight which should be no more than 5 pounds or so over his racing weight.

2) If the dog had been mistreated, as the poster seemed to imply, I might be able to find out who might have done it. I know or can quickly find out the reputations of nearly every kennel operator out there. It just takes a few phone calls.

3) I could find out the breeder. My experience with greyhounds is that 90% of a greyhounds scars occur in puppyhood when its littermates play too rough with those sharp puppy teeth. There is nothing quite like going into a turnout pen at a farm with 13 snapping, nipping, jumping nearly grown puppies. One hook by one of those teeth in a play nip is a scar.

While making these offers of my time and effort I had to endure sniping and crabbing by a number of people who made disparaging comments while I was trying to help.

Then along you come, with an immediate personal attack on me, and got the thread deleted with just two posts. Nice job. You showed your "true" colors.

[i]Originally posted by lizbud
    Dog racing is for the entertainment & enrichment of
    humans, not the dogs. [/B]
    It actually is for the enrichment of the dogs also. Why do you think that greyhounds are one of the only breeds that don't have hip dysplasia?

Also for a large breed dog not uncommon for them to live to 15 or 16.

How many large breed dogs do you know that it's common for them to live to that age?

I don't want to get to far off topic.

Icee is a beautiful little girl. She's is and will be getting the best care before, during and after her racing career is over.

She will be a champ in Coaches eyes no matter if she's a grade A or a grade off and that is what really matters

That's right

And if I were in J'ville... I'd do as Martin likes to do and whisper into Icee's ear, and every one of her littermates, "You're going to be the next Orange Park Derby Champion!"

Isnt rather frustrating for a dog to chase after a plastic whatever the heck it is with NEVER getting a chance at catching it?

Isnt frustrating to be a running dog as you always remind us by only running when the trainers and owners deem it time? I am going by the info provided by some gray owners on here? no?? Am I mistaken? correct me if i am wrong please.

I figure that dogs should be allowed to run whenever they want! and trust me,, my dogs will sprint about with no warning given to anyone!

I love the sport of Agility, and flyball,,, the dogs have fun and are praised up and down, spend quality time with thier owners and not some trainer.

there was a user here that claimed I said the sport was CRUELTY to animals... I NEVER said that.. she also said I was anti dog and then used a profane word. I defy anybody on here to find on this thread or anywheres else where I said any such thing! I love dogs in sports,, I just cant abide racing dogs!! just my humble opinion is all and I would hope that in PT that we can all voice our opinions in a mature logical manner without having the fear of being verbally attacked!

I do however hope that anyone who owns a gray that they do well if they choose to race. Success is always one hopes for for ones friend.
    Last edited by LorraineO; 11-09-2004 at 06:48 AM.