Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about God & the Bible?

A question about God & the Bible?

I let me say first and foremost, I only want to be educated on my question. I don't want anyone flamed, or any fighting. I will delete this thread at the first sign of it. I just simply need some clarification.

I believe in God, Allah, or whatever you want to call the almighty entity that created the universe. I don't believe in everything the bible says. In the last few years I've come to believe that IMO the bible was written by men, for men. It's not IMO, the "word of God", but the words of mortal men, with no divine guidance.

Now, my question is this. What am I? I’m not a Christian, because I don’t believe in the bible and so many things that Christians believe in. Christians won't accept my views on this issue, and Atheists will disagree that there is a God at all. Is there a term/name for what I am and believe in?

I'm feeling very confused by my feelings, but very steadfast in them. I believe that there is a God, and that some things are definitely not right in his/her eyes, but I think the bible and much of what it contains is simply the writings of mortal men.

I think that's called agnostic. I know I feel the same way you do, and, that's what I've always said when people felt the need to label me. Usually, I just take the two seconds to say I believe in a higher power, just not organized religion.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I believe you'd be called an "Agnostic"

Agnostic is one who is skeptical about the existence of God.

That's what I am... because I do believe there is a "higher power" but I don't truely believe it unless i'm proven/shown.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I thought of Agnostic, but I DO believe in God and that he/she/it created the universe and all that jazz. It's just the bible, and much of what it says that I have issues with.

I'm not skeptical about his/her/it's existance, just the way it's presented in the bible and by many organized religions.

I think Agnostic would be the best way to describe you though... or maybe you're just Mickian.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Mickian... LOL

Micki, if I were you, I'd go speak with a priest or pastor or someone in your area. They have no problem setting up times to talk and if you tell him ahead of time that it's not that you DON'T believe in God, you just are unsure about the Bible, they'd be happy to meet you and explain.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I think Agnostic would be the best way to describe you though... or maybe you're just Mickian.
    Cool. My own "religion". I've been reading and reading, and can't find "me" anywhere.

For instance, I believe in Heaven and Hell, God and Satan, evolution is creation and creation is evolution. That one freaks my inlaws completely. They can't believe what their son married! They're very religious with ZERO tolerance, who use derogatory terms for anyone who doesn't believe EXACTLY as they do, so you can imagine what the holidays are like for us!

I don't think you'd be described as an 'Agnostic'. An Agnostic is someone who is skeptical about the existance of God...one who believes there's no way to prove God's existance. It seems to me that you firmly believe God does exist...you just don't believe the Bible is completely His word.....right?

I don't know what you'd be called...maybe just a Confused Micki. He he he. Just kidding.

You know, as a Muslim, I believe God has always sent the same 'laws' to His people. I don't believe God ever sent multiple religions, and if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense that One God would send multiple religions that are completely different from each other either, now does it? My religion teaches me to firmly believe the revelation God sent to Abraham, Moses, Jesus, David, Muhammad.....all the prophets, was exactly the same message and God's true word. I do believe the Book God sent to Moses was the true word of God, and I also believe the Book God sent to Jesus was the true word of God...just as I believe the Quran, which is the Book God sent to Prophet Muhammad is the true word of God. I don't believe the Prophets before Prophet Muhammad had any 'different' faith. We believe they brought the same message brought to us by Prophet Muhammad. That being said, the Bible was written LONG after Jesus had left this world. I firmly believe the words God sent to Jesus were nothing but God's TRUE words, but because the Bible was written in book form long after Jesus had left us, I also believe much of it (definitely not all....I do believe there is still some truth in there) is man-written. That is why Muslims do not believe completely in today's Bible.....because we don't believe its in the same form as it was at the time of Jesus. The Quran, however, was written down completely during the life of Prophet Muhammad, and it hasn't been changed at all. Its Arabic text is still in the exact same form as it was when it was revealed. We just believe the Quran to be the final and completed message sent by God...and the same message 'originally' brought by Jesus, Moses, Abraham, and the rest of the prophets. That is the reason we have so many stories in the Quran that are similar to what's in the Bible, yet there are so many things that are different too. The differences are what we believe to be the man-written parts.

I know you didn't ask this, but when you mentioned you think much of the Bible is man-written, it reminded me of what we believe in, and I just thought I'd explain our beliefs. You just reminded me of it.

well, i've never taken the time to look this up, but, it doesn't sound like you're agnostic. and, neither am i. i just have a problem with organized religion. guess there's not a name for that. here's the definition off www.m-w.com

: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I believe one should not say I have found THE God, but perhaps A God. Much like one should not say I have found THE truth, but A truth. American Indians believe there is a God in a tree, a God in the mountains, a God in the water... I believe there is a power of some kind, it's within each individual. It's not up to me to be the final WORD. Anyone that does think so is rather narrow minded IMO. Some believe in doG. I do too.

Micki - I have the same feelings as you! I call myself "Christian" because that is how I was dedicated (its like a christening ceremony) but in a lot of ways I'm really not. I'm gonna do some reasearch because I think this way of believing is becoming more common. I would love to discuss this with you, as I've yet to meet someone with so similar beliefs as mine

There are just so many things I can't agree with that make me not even want to label myself a Christian. I have read the bible, and, agree with some things, but, not all. From what I've seen, Buddhism fits a lot of how I feel is good and right. Nomilynn and Micki, a lot of people share those thoughts, we aren't the only ones.

Thanks, Dogz!

Naomi and Kari - so good to know I'm not alone in these feelings. I've always felt this way, but rarely expressed it to anyone, and have been ridiculed when I have. It never made sense to anyone that I would believe in so many "biblical" things, but not believe in the bible itself.

I also feel that this almighty God puts the "commandments" in you, just as Satan is in you. In other words, you know right from wrong and have the free will and choice to do good or evil. I don't believe that an almighty being/God/Allah, needs a Bible or Koran written by men to tell you how to live your life, when it's already in you.

I can't really say how I feel about Jesus. I call myself a Christian, yet I really don't believe in the virginal birth of Christ. Why do I celebrate Christmas then? Christmas for me, is an honoring of the holy being that created all the universe, not Christ's birthday.

Honestly, I celebrate Christmas because I like being around my family, giving/receiving gifts, singing songs, and, stockings and lights and a christmas tree in my living room. I have never really been religious, so, I've never really celebrated it for those reasons. And, it's not for lack of being raised a certain way, I've just always questioned and never really got answers. So, I just try to be honest and nice, and, live my life without judging people. So far, I think it's gone alright.

Thanks, Dogz!

15. Deist....Thomas Jefferson was a deist....believed in the existence of God but not in organized religion....(very few of the founding fathers were practicing Christians....why I'm always baffled when people say the US was founded as a Christian nation.)