Thread: Pagan Celebrations

Pagan Celebrations

I noticed in another thread people talking about Pagan and Christian holidays etc. Well, as most are familiar with the Christian festivals (Easter, and Christmas being the big ones) I thought i'd take it upon myself to educate some on the Pagan holidays. All I'm doing is providing info. Those of you who are Christians may see ties between between the 2 religions.

As in Christianity, the Pagan Goddess takes 3 forms; the maiden, mother and crone. (very similar to the Father, Son and HOly Ghost trinity) The triskele (3 interlocking triangles) that is often used as a Christian symbol was a Pagan symbol long before the Christians adopted it.

Samhain - Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means "End of Summer", and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat. It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two "spirit-nights" each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort. Apples were buried along roadsides and paths for spirits who were lost or had no descendants to provide for them. Turnips were hollowed out and carved to look like protective spirits, for this was a night of magic and chaos.

Yule - (Ever heard the term Yuletide greetings? ) Yule marks the day of the Winter Solstice. AN evergreen tree was usually chosen to be decorated in the forest to honor the sun god. Evergreen, because they symbolised the power of life to survve the seasons of the year. After decorating the tree with ribbons and other items, offerings to the sun god were placed before the great tree. Then there is the Yule log. The tradition itself evolved from the ancient fire festival of the Winter Solstice once celebrated throughout Europe. The log is traditionally a sacred oak or evergreen used to call for the return of the sun's light and warmth. With the rise of Christianity, the log was renamed the Christmas Yule log. In the 4th century CE Pope Julius I designated the Christmas celebration to fall around the Winter Solstice, but regardless, Yule was known as the Pagan festival of Fire.

Ostara - (spring Equinox) Celebrates when the Goddess returned from the underworld. Traditional symbols of Spring celebrations include coloured eggs, coloured ribbons, budding flowers, baby rabits and newborn chicks. In March the Vernal Equinox marks the first day of Spring. Modern Pagans associate the Goddess Ostara wth this season. A form of this Goddess name appears in such early Christian works as the De Temporum Ratione, under th title Eostre (Ostre), who was the ANglo-Saxon goddess of spring. In this text we find a connection between the German word Ostern, denoting an eastern oriantation, and the word Easter. Modern Easter celebrations include a sunrise ceremony symbolic of the resurrection from death symbolised by the dawn. As the goddess of the East, Eostre was worshipped at this quarter of rebirth as the maiden aspect of Triformis, the The Three-fold Goddess.

Beltane - Beltane is the celebration announcig the coming of summer and is traditionally held on May 1st. In ancient times, it was celebrated about 11 days later, prior to the change in the calendar. Beltane is an ancient Celtic celebration of the return of life and fertility to the world, after the winter season. Assorted symbols of fertility decorated homes; flowers, greenery, garlands. A Maypole was put up and decorated. Dancing around the Maypole was designed to ensure fertility.

There are several more, but these are usually seen as the most celebrated today. So I hope everyone learned a little bit.

Blessed be!
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Finaly someone who celebrates! I had a very nice Samhain this year actually. Good dinner with my adopted family . The cat acted like a psycho, but I actually expected that lol Did you do anything special? Beltane happens to fall very near to my birthday, so I usually celebrate quite a bit then too.

Im glad you decided to educate people by posting this! Pagan holidays need to be recognised just as much as a holiday from any other religion/faith.

All of our family get togethers are pagan celebrations....

Until my mom yells out...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! GET YOUR FEET OFF YOU COUCH!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Kris, we do celebrate! We're gonna go all out for Yule this year, I think. I'm excited! (Ps... I'm trying to find where Bella hid my paper, pens and envelopes! hehehehe)
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

I didn't celebrate Samhain this year (bad me), but Litha falls near my birthday!

Another of my favorites to celebrate is Mabon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

ROFL RICHARD!!! I love it! And thanks heinz 57_79 for explaining Pagan holy days. I found it quite interesting and do believe that people should be more aware of these celebrations and their true meaning rather than the meaning that society has burdened Paganism with.

Still loving Christ whom I believe loves everyone,

Tina

I know of some of the Pagan holidays because of a friend of mine who studies them and celebrates some. She is, however, a devout Catholic, but, is open to many beliefs. She is an amazing woman!

Thanks for the info. Amazing how intertwined things are.

It's kind of like Evolution v. Creationism.....the Geologic Time Scale very closely fits the 7 days and 7 nights theory of Creationism.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Food for thought for creationists: Who ever said God worked in linear time?
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I wanted to go to a Samhain celebration this year ... but I ended up not being able to get out of kid's trick or treat duty.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    Food for thought for creationists: Who ever said God worked in linear time?
    He has to....

It's a union shop.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb