Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about outside only pets?

Originally posted by cyber-sibes
    I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?
    I work in rescue (with all of those "evil" groups/shelters who deny people that want outdoor only dogs). Crate training is a wonderful tool if it is used correctly, ESPECIALLY for our rescue dogs. Of course it can be misused - like when people throw the dogs in for too long or use it as punishment. I can't even begin to tell you how many dogs crate training has saved. Sometimes people are on the verge of throwing their dog into a shelter because of a problem they can't handle. Crating has solved a lot of these problems. It gives the dog a safe place to be when you can't supervise. It still allows them to be inside and part of the family, but prevents them from getting into trouble.

I have crate trained both of my own dogs and crate train all of my fosters. With my own dogs, they were each crated when I was gone for about the first month. When I knew they could safely have the run of the house with no one home, I didn't crate them anymore. They stay at home inside with free roam whenever I leave and they couldn't be happier. I think they would fall over dead if they had to be left outside by themselves.

My current foster LOVES her crate because I make it such a positive place to be. When I leave the door open, she runs in there on her own and often takes naps in it because it is so comfortable. It is definately her little "den".

When I first heard about crate training and saw people who used it the wrong way, I was 100% against it. I read up on it and educated myself though and now I am completely for it if used the right way. It has no doubt saved many a dog's life. Dogs that escape the yard, are destructive indoors, get into the trash, etc etc etc are completely safe in the crate.

I've made numerous posts about the right way to crate train if you want to search for them. I have a headache right now but will do it later if you are interested at all.

I know this is going off the topic of the thread, but since it was mentioned in a negative way, I felt the need to speak up
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by cyber-sibes
    I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?
    All of my dogs are crate trained, I don't leave them in a crate for a long period of time but it really helped alot oneday when a cat came into my house My dogs LOVE their crates! They go in it all the time to chew their bones, sleep, get away from annoying guests Tango's sleeping in hers right now, it's usually their own choice on whether or not they want to go in. I never use the crate for punishing them though.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I believe crate training is a lot safer than keeping a dog outside 24/7 as long as the crate is safe and you train correctly. All three of my dogs are crate-trained. Although Simba and Nala have free roam of the house while we're gone, Kiara is confined in her cage for HER and our property's safety. She is only around 7 months old, and although I'm almost positive she'd be fine, i'd rather her be in a cage then be able to chew something she's not supposed to while i'm gone.
    Of course, she isn't kept there for more than a few hours.

Keeping your dog outside is basically letting anyone and anything have access to him/her. Any person could throw something in your yard, could release your dog, or your dog could even dig under/jump the fence. Those are only a few of the dangers of keeping your dog outside.

Simba would LOVE to stay out all day if we let him, little kids would also LOVE to stay out and play in the dirt all day, but their parents don't allow them, nor will I allow my dog. And it's for their safety.

I despise seeing cats loose in our neighborhood.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I have an outside dog. I see nothing wrong with it. Everyone can't access my dogs at all. I disagree with that. Ziggy stays in a fence that is locked and noone can get around her. So no they can't throw stuff at her. She gets plenty of exercise while she is outside. So personally I see nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by petslover; 11-02-2004 at 03:48 PM.

For those who are against crates, I crate my dogs when no one is home with them. Actually Lacey has a room of her own and Mandy has a big crate. My Lacey will scratch on my windows(they are real glass) if she sees an animal outside. That would be nice to come home to her bleeding to death. Train her, sure and what if she decides to do it anyway when I'm not home. She is also a chewer(although she's four) So who knows what she might eat while we're not home. Mandy has a bad heart and surely would have died by now if she had free run of the house.Too much goes on outside all day when we're not home. Mandy is not fixed because of her heart and once and awhile goes off on Lacey,don't want to come home to that either.
    My dogs willingly go to their crate/room sometimes just to get away from things, they feel safe there. While my husband and I both work dayturn, we don't work the same hours or even always the same days, so it's not a long day or a long week for my dogs.They are used to sleeping most of the day anyway and try to when we're off. They have constant attention when we are home and we are both homebodies so not many evenings out. I love and take good care of my dogs and won't be made to feel like I don't because we have to work. Let me also add, it's a good thing Lacey is 'room' trained after just having two surgeries on her leg and she's not suppose to run around!
    Last edited by chocolatepuppy; 11-02-2004 at 03:47 PM.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I agree with Aly that crate training can be wonderful thing if used properly. We crate trained Chester from puppyhood, and he loves the crate and goes in happily. He no longer needs the crate (he can be trusted in the house) but his crate training paid off in a HUGE way when he had surgery and had to be confined per the vets orders for a long period. Our last foster Abby, had to be confined per vets orders for a very long time (months) and was never crate trained prior to staying with us. That was a LONG nightmare for all of us, but mostly her.

I can’t tell you how much crate training has benefitted Chester. He rides in the car in a crate as well, and loves it. We have to spell C R A T E or he goes bananas, cause he likes his so much.

Millie tolerates the crate, but she doesn’t love it like Chester does.

I also am crate training Gracie and I have printed off every thing I could find on crate training as well as talked to my vet and I am doing it exactly by the book and it has been wonderful. I come home a full hour for lunch to let gracie out and we play the whole time. She views it as her den and she has a lambswool pillow and one toy in it. She will even go in it when she doesnt have to just to check it out sometimes. Its a pleasant atmosphere. I would never put her in it for punishment. It is strictly for training purposes when she can not be supervised by one of us. If we are home she is never in it. Personally I don't like puppy pads...and won't use them. So this has been the best tool for us. She has never balked at going in, she doesn't cry and I don't think she minds it at all. She is secure, and she is not in it for more than 4 hours at a time since I am only 4 min from work and can come home mid day to take her out that hour. If I have to be gone all day which so far has only happened twice, then I put her on the patio which is inclosed and we have puppy proofed..and leave the door open for her to go out if she needs to. I even put the crate out there so she can go in it if she wants to for added security if she gets overwhelmed by the big open space and no one there. So all in all, I would say crate training is the way to go for us~and I sure don't see one bit of cruelty in it in any way..

I have to chime in also about crate training. It is not cruel at all if done properly in my opinion. All of my dogs have been crate trained since puppies.

Nebo absolutely loves his crate, it is his den. My mom works at a school so she has the summer off. So all of the dogs would be loose in the house during the day while I was at work. She told me that Nebo spent the majority of the day in his crate, on his own free will. He would go down there to chew his kong or just sleep. He only came out when he wanted outside.

Since she is now at work and I am too he is in a crate while we are gone (we tried the free roam of the house thing, he did great for about a week then he made a huge mess...I would have given him many more chances, but it's my parents house and therefore not my choice). Every morning he sees me stuffing his kong with goodies and he goes right into his crate, he does not protest at all. I just make sure I let him out twice to potty before I leave and I always go into the backyard and exercise him as well. When I come home he's always peacefully laying there, usually asleep. What do you think your dog does in the yard or in your house while you are gone? I bet the majority of dogs spend most of the time sleeping.

I do of course understand there are instances where crates are misused, but you can't claim that crate training is cruel because of those instances.

Also from working at a grooming salon (and I bet those who have worked at vet offices will agree) crate training greatly helps dogs when they must stay away from their owners. If they are used to being in a crate they are less stressed when placed in one. It is not a struggle to get them in, nor do they bark or hurt their paws scratching at the door. They are more calm and so are the people who work there.

I do not and will never agree to 100% outdoor dogs but I will leave it at that.

I have a question. If the dog is happy outside would you really keep it inside where its not happy? Thats what I don't understand.

Since i'm very paranoid for it's safety, Yes.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

petslover, If you feel your dog is safe outside then that's great. But for me there is no way! There was an incident in the next town a few years ago where a lady had left her two goldens out and when she came home found that someone had used them both for target practice with bows and arrows, they were both dead. And what about someone stealing a dog or poisoning it? No way.
    I feel a dog is like an eternal two year old, it needs your protection. Whatever you do with your dog is your business, I do not judge people, if you're happy with the situation and feel it is safe, that's great.
    Forever in my heart...

Originally posted by petslover
    I have a question. If the dog is happy outside would you really keep it inside where its not happy? Thats what I don't understand.
    I have to say that even through I have a outside dog, I can understand why most, like Kay and others keeps their dogs in, even if maybe they like outside better. If I lived in a town/neighborhood, my outside dog would be inside too, even if it meant him going into a panic. I'm lucky, for Odie's sake, we live so far out, down a long dirt road, with nobody (except 1) around us, fenced in etc etc.. I can feel safe with Odie outside. Most people can't feel that safe in their area. So their dog should be inside.

Just like my cats, they go outside/inside here, but I would never adopt out any of my rescues to anyone who's going to let them out. Different places call for different rules.

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    I have to say that even through I have a outside dog, I can understand why most, like Kay and others keeps their dogs in, even if maybe they like outside better. If I lived in a town/neighborhood, my outside dog would be inside too, even if it meant him going into a panic. I'm lucky, for Odie's sake, we live so far out, down a long dirt road, with nobody (except 1) around us, fenced in etc etc.. I can feel safe with Odie outside. Most people can't feel that safe in their area. So their dog should be inside.

Just like my cats, they go outside/inside here, but I would never adopt out any of my rescues to anyone who's going to let them out. Different places call for different rules.
    Good point Fox-Gal
    Forever in my heart...

We live out in the country, too. The only nearby neighbor loves our dogs as much as we do and visits them all the time. There are no access roads, driveways, or paths to the kennel, which is out of sight of the road.
    I brought up the crate-thing because to me it's like the outdoor dog question -- there is no set right or wrong, it depends on your perspective and experience. Do what works for YOU and YOUR dogs so you are happy and they are too.

There's an old saying with horses "different courses for different horses"

Some dogs are misserable inside some dogs are misserable outside. Whatever works for the dogs and humans is what I say. Who am I to judge something I know nothing about.

I hate to see dogs tied out just like everyone on this board. I"m talking about the dogs tied at the furthest corner of the yard, where there is no human interaction at all.

I do want to say one thing about having outside dogs and people could come by and throw something in the yard, or open the gate.

It can happen to inside dogs as well. I had my house broken into years ago. My dogs would be outside in a big "pen" and I use that term loosely. It was like 1/2 an acre fenced in with huge dog huts. You could fit 4 dogs in one hut, that had two doors that could close and lock and filled with hay.

Anyway my home was broken into and the front door was kicked in. The robbers were not nice enough to put the door back up. If my dogs were in the house at that time 1) the robbers may have hurt my dogs.
    2) My dogs would have run out that front door and who knows where they would have been when I got home.

I was so happy that day that my dogs were out in there pen safe and sound away from the robbers. Now maybe if they were in the house the robbers would have never broke into my house but if they did what would have happened to my dogs?

So I feel that outside dogs are fine as long as they are well cared for, loved, and concered part of the family