Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Your Dogs Sound Sleepers

Are Your Dogs Sound Sleepers

I was just wondering about Smokey. He literally sleeps like
    a rock. He barely breaths, he doesn't respond to my talking to
    him and he's dead weight trying to move him.

One reason I ask is that Smokey always falls asleep before I
    do & in the big bed next to my pillows. Last night I lay down in
    the few inches left to me in the bed & laid my hand on his side.
    I couldn't feel him breathing at all. Nada, zip. His body felt
    cold & I suddenly got the strangest feeling. I went ahead and
    shook him until he opened his eyes. He then just moved to the
    other side of the bed & went back to sleep.

Smokey sleeps much to sound sometimes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Are Your Dogs Sound Sleepers

Originally posted by lizbud
    Last night I lay down in
    the few inches left to me in the bed
    Liz I could relate to every word in your post especially the above! LOL! Yes both of mine sleep like they are drugged. I can literally pick Ripley up and re-position him in the bed and he never even opens his eyes. Bella goes out like a light too and won't even think about getting up in the morning until I am up with both feet on the floor. She likes her last few *beauty winks* before she gets up!

Pam, Smokey is just like Ripley then. I was beginning to think
    there was something wrong with Smokey. I've never had a dog
    who slept so sound. At least Maggie will sit up from sleeping,
    she doesn't move right away, but she at least opens her eyes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz I have also had to put my hand on both Bella's and Ripley's side to see if they were breathing. Gosh I wish I could sleep that soundly! LOL!

Your posts hit home with me too.
    Both Sheba and Rocky, especially Sheba sleep
    very soundly.
    Now that Sheba is 11,
    I have had more times I care to think about
    that I have been scared half to death
    thinking she wasn't breething, when she was
    only just in a deep sleep.

----<---<--<{(@

I sware i dont know how Face ever gets any sleep, he will never relax he always is on guard, and has one eye open, he wants to be top protector and he sure is, Rita on the other hand sleeps and snores soooo loud!

Some of them are...I find the older ones are much sounder sleepers. I often have to actually touch Preacher or Sleet to wake them. I can't tell you how many times I've been convinced they had passed on. I'd be just about to go into full blown panic mode when they suddenly wake up and look at me like I'm a lunatic!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by senorita02
    I sware i dont know how Face ever gets any sleep, he will never relax he always is on guard, and has one eye open, he wants to be top protector and he sure is, Rita on the other hand sleeps and snores soooo loud!
    That is how it is at my house too!! Buddy NEVER sleeps!! I can hear him walking around the house all night long! He'll come in a check on me a few times, lay down next to the bed for a little bit. The make another check of the house.

Meanwhile Sierra is curled up snug as a bug sound asleep at my feet!!!

It's cute because when he checks on me, he'll give me a tiny little kiss, then give Sierra a little kiss too!!!

He's so cute!!!

But I have never had a dog that slept as soundly as Smokey!
    That would freak me out!! (as I'm sure it does you)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Murph could sleep through a hurricane. Even when he was young, it was play hard, sleep hard. Once he's sleeping, he isn't budging unless you make him.

Oz is a real light sleeper. He goes from asleep, to up on his toes, ready for action, if he hears anything out of the ordinary. He also follows me if I get up in the middle of the night and leave the bedroom.

Gully is somewhat in the middle. If you get up, he gets up and follows you, but he doesn't seem to be quite as alert and jaunty on the spot as Oz, if something's amiss. He slowly gets up and has to go through a stretching routine before he gets really moving.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Emma could easily sleep through anything, Moco wakes up when he heres the smallest sound

Oh yeah, Millie sleeps like the dead. It's hard to wake her up and get her moving.

Chester on the other hand, sleeps like me. We both wake at ANY noise. Of course, I don't take off out the pet door barking like a maniac at 3 am.

Ethan sure is a sound sleeper! Anything can be happening and he will just sleep on through it. On the other hand, Frisk-man will wake to any noise or nudge. If you just accidently brush up against him when he is asleep, he will automatically be awake, giving you the glare of death!

Liz Angus was just like that. I too don't know how many times after he started getting up there in age that I thought he had passed on. Scared the life out of me

But little Bon seems to be a very heavy sleeper too. He goes from fully awake to dead to the world in a matter of seconds (guess that's a puppy for you hu). I can open his mouth, look at his teeth and just mess with him in general and he never wakes up!

And Roxey is a heavy sleeper, but she knows by the noises that are made if she should wake up or not

Huney, she is like Oz, Buddy and Face...sleeping with one eye open all of the time!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Clover is also like Smokey, once she is out for the night there is NO moving her, which is kind of annoying when she is asleep in the middle of my bed. Elvis is a deep sleeper but if he hears anything he will open his eyes.

We have had many scares with Penny thinking she has stopped breathing, and have had to lift he up and get her going again. She gets into such a deep sleep that nothing verbal will wake her only physically picking her up and poking at her.

Theo on the other hand is a very light sleeper and can be up and ready to go at the mention of his name.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Lady sleeps soundly, and also has the annoying habit of taking over the bed while she's sleeping. If she's on the floor napping during the day it would take a hand grenade to wake her up, unless Marylin (our 3 y/o non furbaby) comes near her. In addition to being a sound sleeper, she snores to boot.