Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey Hound Question?

Grey Hound Question?

I was just curious Why do they use the wide collars on them and the Whippet? Is it for extra support on there necks for when the pull? I have always wondered. They are so beautiful and colorful.

Join Sweet Pea at The Bunny Forum
    Come join me and FizzGigg at The Bichon Lovers Clubhouse
    Thank You Anita & Kay for the wonderful Siggys

I've actually been wondering this myself.
    I've seen them on other breeds as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Martingale collars are very important. Greyhounds heads are smaller than their necks, and if they back up they can back right out of a regular collar. A martingale collar tightens if this happens, but doesn't hurt them.

edited to add a better, more descriptive answer

Martingale Collars

A martingale is a type of "limited choke" collar, which is made to slip on over the dog's head (there are no fasteners). Once around the dog's neck, the collar can lie flat, like a buckle collar, or, with a leash attached, it will constrict to the size of the dog's throat. Adjusted correctly, it will not constrict to a size smaller than the dog's throat. In other words, it won't continue to tighten, or "choke" the dog. It does, however, prevent the dog from squirming out of his collar. In it's tightened position, it will not come back off over the dog's head.

We use this type of collar for flyball training. The dog, in his excitement, can not wriggle free of his collar, and the loop gives you and instant "handle" which disappears as soon as you let go. The other flyball collars I have seen, have "built-in" handles, which I would fear could get caught on something, or have a dog put a paw through them while jumping, resulting in potential serious injury.

These collars are also dandy for agility. The loop eliminates the need for a "tag line" (for those that use them), and it allows for control without danger of choking.

We also use these collars for sled dog racing. There is another type of "limited choke" collar used by the majority of sled dog enthusiasts, but it's probably because they haven't discovered the martingale type, yet. Racing rules require that the dogs not be run on choke collars (for safety purposes). But they get so excited to go that they often slip out of the buckle collars. A limited choke collar answers both problems.

Thank you...I think that was the fastest answer I have ever gotten here at PT less the 1min WOW

If my Bichon keeps getting rounder and Rounder I am going to have to get him one of them he is becoming quite the little round ham

Do I get a star???? lol

Yes you do! I like the idea of that collar sounds very humane. I think I will try to find one for my Boxer maybe 1inch wide

As far as the width of the collar I think the reason that the greys and other site hound people use the 1 1/2" and 2" collars is how it looks on the hound.

I don't tend to keep collars on my crew when were at home but went we go out my big boy 90lb wears a 2" and the girls either wear a 1 1/2" or 1". I like the smaller ones on my girls to show off there nice long necks

Heather & the hounds

Oh I am so glad this question was asked and answered so quickly. We adopted a very beautiful husky this summer and have a leather collar on her. I don't like that it has to be kept so snug (I can still get 2 fingers in) so that she doesn't pull out. I will have to find one of these martingale collars as they sound like a perfect solution! Our Sequoia tends to be quite the puller and until we can save up the money for the obedience training will probably remain so.

Thanks so very much!!

Denyce

Hi Heather!

I don't keep collars on in the house anymore either. Fudgie got hooked on a chair one day and totally flipped out! Thankfully I was home to unhook him or he could have really hurt himself

Originally posted by greysandmoregreys
    As far as the width of the collar I think the reason that the greys and other site hound people use the 1 1/2" and 2" collars is how it looks on the hound.

I don't tend to keep collars on my crew when were at home but went we go out my big boy 90lb wears a 2" and the girls either wear a 1 1/2" or 1". I like the smaller ones on my girls to show off there nice long necks

Heather & the hounds
    [/QUOTE]

My boys often go naked too while indoors. They run around like they are gleefully streaking me when they are sans collars. But I will buy any width usually for my boys, although I find I prefer the 1.5" ones the best.

Diane did a great job of summing up the need behind the martingale collars. I am thankful there are so many great collar designers out there, dedicated to making some beautiful martingale collars -- non-greyhound-owners should check out some of the sites since the collars will work on your pooches too. If you want the recommendation of some great sites, PM me (I don't know how much free advertising I'm allowed to do here!)

Gonzo has a martingale I love them. they are so much more humane than an open choke chain... we have a nylon martingale, but they also have a chain variety.

Diane, I use it for agility too! He has a tab too, but no matter how much I would shorten it he somehow gets his leg into the loop anyway, yep, good answer! and welcome to PT!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Having Collies with slim heads similar to greyhounds, I use martingale collars on them too, for obedience and walking around the neighborhood. For agility or hiking though, I go ahead and use regular flat buckle collars. Too easy for their collar to get hung on something and I'd much rather in those cases for them to be able to pull their head through. I don't really worry about them running from me, so I feel like the hanging risk is higher.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

We use the martingales when we go out but I use a regular nylon collar for their tags. This stays on them all the time. This collar has their name and our phone number stitched on it, just in case, but it is a break away collar.

By the way parnone, your puppers are cute.

Aw thanks zayla! I really didn't think the long nosed breeds were all that attractive, until I got Collies. I've always been a scruffy dog person, hence my lil' Cairnys. But since falling in love with Collies, I find myself drawn to all big schnozed breeds now, including Greys.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards