Thread: cat with epilepsy or..............?

cat with epilepsy or..............?

Hi everyone. I don't get to pet talk much these days (marital separation, work, school, busy)
    Anyway, I am posting tonight because I'm pretty upset. I just saw my kitty, Guy, have what I think was a seizure..........a really big one
    It lasted a few minutes, and then he was calm and wanted to be held for awhile. Now he is back to normal and hungry
    I have only had him since mid-June but I am very attached. It might explain some things about him though: 1. when you scratch him under the chin, he pulls his back leg up and scratches his head. 2. if you scratch him on his chest, he starts licking his neck fur. 3. if you scratch him on his side, he thumps his leg (like a dog)
    Those were all kinda funny before, but now, not so much.

He was a stray that I found standing in the middle of a busy intersection on my way home from a wedding one night, so don't know any history on him. He is the most mellow cat I've ever seen- nothing bothers him. And very sweet, just wants to cuddle all the time
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had experience with this in cats, and how common is it, is it treatable, what is the cause, etc. I'm wondering if maybe he could have been hit by a car that could have caused it (head trauma).

Also, this was very sweet: my dog Scout, border-collie/blk. lab mix, was quite upset also and keeps going over to Guy and checking him out to see if he is ok. She looks very worried and is being so gentle.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Oh no! I will definitely ask my neighbors who recently had to let their dog sleep. He had seizures, and I'll see if I can find anything online, in the mean time keep us posted! Guy and you will be in my prayers! I will also ask them if their dog had any of the symptoms Guy had. I forget what their dog died from. Go to the vet and see if something is wrong as soon as possible!

Have you taken him to the vet and had him checked for diabetes?

Untreated diabetes can cause seizures. The good news is that it's treatable.

Good luck.

Thanks to MKitty and AbbyMom for your replies

I took him to the vet after work tonight, but had to leave him overnight since it was near closing time (I miss him).
    He is also being checked for a UTI. He seems to potty a bit more than normal and from what I understand, an infection can sometimes cause seizures.
    The vet also mentioned diabetes as a real possibility- quite common in cats I guess, and treatable like you mentioned.
    I am almost hoping that it's one of those two things because any of the alternatives would not be good.

Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.
    Thanks again, and I'll post when I find anything out.

Oh my goodness!!!! Where have you BEEN!!! I'm sorry that your kitty is sickly I will keep him in my prayers, as I have no advice. I have new email so PM me and we'll exchange again. SO good to see you around!

My brother has a cat that has seizures and it is on meds daily for them. His cat does fine as long as he has his medicine.. It is a treatable condition so not to worry! (yea, RIGHT! We worry anyway!)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Good luck for whatever the outcome is, I hope he is ok.

The best thing you could have done was seek veterinary advice. Lets hope it is something like diabetes, which can be managed by insulin and a change of diet.

I don't suppose you know approximately how old he is? A lot of older cats can have the occasional seizure as well, so it could be something neurological.

Best wishes for a good outcome - keep us posted
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

Oh yes...it does sound like epilepsy. I wold get you vet to look at him tho...to be sure. It is totally treatable and he won't die from it. The siezures can be controlled with medication, but not prevented. You may have to deal with occasional siezures from him thats all....
    i would get that medication as soon as you can tho!

Hi all. Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys- I started school last week and also right after I posted last, my car was stolen ...............and insurance wouldn't pay on it because it was only liability coverage (a 10 year old car). Lesson learned though- I'll pay some extra for auto theft coverage.

Anyway about my kitty, Guy. He does not have diabetes, and the vet said it's probably not epilepsy. It turned out he had a
    severe intestinal infection. He didn't have any obvious sytems and I have only had him since mid-June. He seemed like he felt fine- the vet said that because he was a rescue, he had probably had this infection for quite awhile, so he had sort of adjusted to it so that it seemed 'normal' to him. (plus my dog was always getting into the cat box for kitty tootsie rolls )

I guess when a cat has an infection of some kind, sometimes it can cause seizures, especially if the infection is quite severe. This is what the vet told me, and I believe somebody here at PT mentioned that also.
    I've got him on antibiotics, and so far he has been seizure-free

PS- Nomilynn/Naomi, I'll PM you later tonight- have to be somewhere and I'm running late. Hope all is good with you.

Ticklish Cat

To let you know. When your petting your cat on it's side it is his/her's ticklish spot!!! The leg jumping is a sign it tickles! Just like in Humans dogs and cats are ticklish. Nothing to worry about.
    The licking after you rub her is normal as well. My cat will lick right after petting. I feel kind of insulted! You may have disturbed a sensitive spot.
    As for hitting the leg against your hand if you touch the cat in other spots. It is a sign that they don't like it and to leave it alone! Your lucky the claws don't come out! You might have hit another ticklish spot or flea area.
    Your cat sounds like a normal cat. Whatever Normal is in a cat!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Re: Ticklish Cat

Originally posted by Scooby4
    The licking after you rub her is normal as well. My cat will lick right after petting. I feel kind of insulted!
    I can't understand why people feel insulted by this cat behavior. It is quite normal. It is not an insult at all, in fact it is one of the highest kitty compliments a cat can pay you! They do it so they can make your scent one with theirs. They do it because they love you! DO NOT BE INSULTED BY IT. You have been deemed highly acceptable by the royal feline genus!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Hi there,
    Glad to hear that it isn't epilepsy, although, as mentioned, it is treatable. I had a small dog, Charmin, w/epilepsy and she was on a low dose of phenobarbitol for years, until she died at the ripe ol' age of 18 1/2, actually. Hers started after she gave birth, just a few days later.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Blessings,
    M

My foster Cinnamon licked herself vigorously after I scritched her this morning. She acted like I gave her cooties!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

actually he does it while I'm petting him, and stops as soon as I stop. Even if he's eating- and he is always hungery (maybe from being a stray? He was skin and bones when I brought him home)

An update on his seizures: they think it IS epilepsy now. His infection(s) are cleared up, but he continued to have seizures. He is now on phenobarbitol (spelling?). If this doesn't work the vet said we will have to start looking at liver problems, etc. I am actually hoping it is epilepsy, because that can be treated successfully. Other things, maybe not. You never know.
    I've noticed latley that he stumbles- I don't think he did that before, but then again maybe I'm looking for things because I'm worried

He's the sweetest kitty: sleeps on the bed, under the covers, with his little head on the pillow. Always, he sleeps like that.
    And likes the vacuum cleaner.