Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peru School Raises Guinea Pigs for Eating

Peru School Raises Guinea Pigs for Eating

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...eru_guinea_pig

Peru School Raises Guinea Pigs for Eating

2 hours, 11 minutes ago Strange News - AP

By RICK VECCHIO, Associated Press Writer

LIMA, Peru - After 34 years of patient tinkering, researchers at Peru's most prestigious agrarian university have bred a new culinary export they hope will scamper onto dinner plates throughout America and the world: the super guinea pig.

AP Photo

AP Photo
    Slideshow: Super Guinea Pig

The animal is a cuddly companion for millions of children in the United States. But in Peru, the rodent's birthplace, it remains a vital source of protein in rural communities, a mainstay of Andean folk medicine and a common religious sacrifice to the gods.

"It is well known that Peruvians eat guinea pig. Foreigners are more reluctant to eat it as they see the animal as a pet," said Gloria Palacios, director of La Molina National University's project to promote guinea pig exports.

"I think if they become familiar with the cuisine, maybe suddenly they'll give in and be tempted to try it," she said. "It is really delicious."

Peruvians consume an estimated 65 million guinea pigs each year. It is a dining experience that normally requires two hands to pick scant, sinewy meat from a bony carcass — often with the head staring up from the plate.

But earlier this year, La Molina university started exporting the "Peruvian Breed" — faster growing, plumper, tastier guinea pigs — to the United States, Japan and several European nations that have large Peruvian immigrant populations.

The 1,000 guinea pigs shipped out weekly — mostly to the United States — each weigh nearly 2 1/2 pounds, said Dr. Lilia Chauca, head researcher of the breeding project.

In comparison, she said, the guinea pigs raised on alfalfa and vegetable peels in nearly every rural Andean household weigh between 10 1/2 ounces to 1 1/2 pounds.

The meat is high in protein and low in fat and cholesterol and has a distinctive flavor, similar to rabbit. Chauca and her team of researchers at La Molina's National Institute of Agrarian Investigation started the super-size guinea pig project in 1970.

Archaeological evidence shows guinea pigs were domesticated in Peru as far back as 2500 B.C., and had deep cultural and religious significance. Guinea pigs are still a common tool of ritual healers, or "curanderos," who use the animals to diagnose illnesses.

A 17th century native chronicler, Guaman Poma de Ayala, wrote that the Incas sacrificed 1,000 white guinea pigs along with 100 llamas in Cuzco's main plaza each July "so that neither the sun nor the waters would harm the food and the fields."

From the beginning of the Spanish colonization, the Catholic Church brutally suppressed Indian religious icons. But the guinea pig was spared.

Geronimo de Loayza, the first bishop of Lima from 1545 to 1575, refused a request by Spanish priests to order the mass extermination of the rodents, fearing it would spark a rebellion.

The Spanish colonizers made Indian artists paint, weave and carve items with Catholic themes to decorate churches and evangelize the natives. The artists copied prints imported from Europe, but added Peruvian touches.

Today, churches in Lima and Cuzco still display Indian depictions of the Last Supper with Jesus and the 12 disciples eating roasted guinea pig.

EEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My thoughts, too! Yuck

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I don't have any problems with anyone eating any animal that is raised to be eaten... and I won't acknowledge any arguments against me... but all of you are welcome to your own opinions!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

waaaa!! I cannot eat my pet! *Huggles Squishy, Flo, and Peaches!* thing is Squishy is a PERUvian guinea pig
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Rabbits are eaten here. Why not guinea pigs there?

The dish is called "cooie" ... I'm sure that is not how it spelled, but that's how it sounds.

My brother and sister have both traveled extensively in Peru, and eaten it many times.

I wouldn't personally eat it, unless I had no choice, but I don't eat rabbits or Cornish game hens either .... I don't like to eat little animals, don't ask me why. A chicken is the smallest thing I'll eat.

I honestly do not see why people in this country get so up in arms about what people in other countries eat. An animal is an animal is an animal. You'll eat a chicken, but not a guinea pig? What's the difference? Because one is "cuter", to you, it's not ok for someone else to eat? I so don't understand that logic. It's truly none of our business.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't personally have a problem with anyone eating anything. I have a problem with the way a lot of animals are treated before they're killed for human consumption, but, that's not what's being discussed (and, yeah, I know I'm a bit hypocritical saying that even, because I still eat meat). I wouldn't eat dog or cat on a regular basis, but, I'd probably try it. Some people keep pigs as pets, but, I'm not going to feel badly for eating bacon. I would probably try almost any meat at least once, but, I will not eat anything off an animal's carcass where the head is still there. Or legs or eyes or ears. Up until about three years ago, I wouldn't eat most seafood, because of the legs and things. But, if it's just a piece of meat on a fork, I'd try it. It's stuff that looks like what it was, that I have a queasy stomach about.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Maybe if I show my pigs this article, they'll feel threatened and start behaving better.

I wasn't bashing, or getting upset. I see nothing wrong with it. I just posted it here to get others opinions.

I personnal not sure I could eat it either ,but I never thought I'd eat mountian lion but i did and it wasn't bad. I have eaten rabbit all my lfe. Now horse meat is something I couldn't eat Knowingly.

Quote "had deep cultural and religious significance"

They said the same thing about cannibalism.

Well, I could never eat any animal I had gotten to know
    personally. (or any of it's relatives)
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    Rabbits are eaten here. Why not guinea pigs there?

The dish is called "cooie" ... I'm sure that is not how it spelled, but that's how it sounds.

My brother and sister have both traveled extensively in Peru, and eaten it many times.

I wouldn't personally eat it, unless I had no choice, but I don't eat rabbits or Cornish game hens either .... I don't like to eat little animals, don't ask me why. A chicken is the smallest thing I'll eat.

I honestly do not see why people in this country get so up in arms about what people in other countries eat. An animal is an animal is an animal. You'll eat a chicken, but not a guinea pig? What's the difference? Because one is "cuter", to you, it's not ok for someone else to eat? I so don't understand that logic. It's truly none of our business.
    Ditto!! I sure do like you, Twisterdog!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    It's "cuy" and I have pictures...
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

South America had never big animals like bison etc. So people always needed to get their proteine in other ways and guinea pigs are traditional food. What you eat and what you don't eat is very much defined by your cultural background. (Just think about snails in French cuisine or pork or even sauerkraut ).

The problem is mainly how animals are treated before they get killed.

However I agree to be such a whimp in my own culture that I don't eat rabbit and even lamb although I know it is irrational. So no guinea pigs for me either. (Sometimes I say I'm a part time vegetarian )