Thread: Cockatiel question...??

Cockatiel question...??

My Cockatiels chew on Newspapers, drywall and plaster on window sills. Do you think that is harmfull to their health if any is swallowed?

I would worry a bit about the drywall and plaster, Sandra, if they are getting much of that, but I think the newspaper is not a problem. I do not use "color" ink pages in my cages because someone told me that it could be harmful. What I'd really like is some newsprint paper with no print to be on the safe side, but I've been using the black and white with no problems and they definitely chew and shred it constantly.

I'm not sure about the plaster or drywall either, but I'd probably want to make sure they didn't get too much of that. My husband has been doing some remodeling work in the dining room recently and I asked him if the chips of plaster on the foor could hurt the dogs any, he said it was just latex and not toxic, but I'd still discourage either the dogs or the birdie from ingesting much of it.

As far as newspaper, from what I understand the inks of that were changed awhile back so that they are environmentally safe, and I use it as a floor liner for my tiel with no problems. She will shred it a bit when she lays (infertile) eggs, I'm not sure if she actually ingests any but I haven't seen any harm from using it.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I have budgies and cockateils that chew newspaper and wallpaper, and they haven't been adversly affected by doing this. I try to discourage this behaviour (we rent so eating wallpaper is not good!), but when the birds are flying around the room while I am out, it's pretty hard to police it.
    At the last place we lived it, I stripped the wall completely and repainted it - the landlords were very surprised because they didn't really care in the first place!
    Live and learn!

My mum has a technique of placing thin cardboard in the areas where they pick at the wallpaper - this helps discourage them from eating the wallpaper and also gives them something to do as well.
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!