Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming claws

Trimming claws

OK I am new at this I did one successful claw trimming last week but the claws are again like needles. I just tried another trim. I got TWO claws done. ONE on each baby! Would it be normal for these babies to scream like I am killing them and to bite me?

Well, I gritted my teeth and got the fronts done But, not with out getting shredded and bleeding and bitten. Little shits! I have never heard shrieking like that, either! Eliot came in and glared at me while I tortured them, too.

I don't know. We finally gave up and started going to the vet's every 6 weeks or so.

As I understand it, it's normal and it improves over time.*

* Caveat: I'm a chicken wimp and haven't done it except when the fur-kids are sleeping...
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Gasp! Oh, such language!

I never have much trouble trimming nails around here. Zelda's the one that gives me the most trouble in that department, mostly because she likes to pull her foot out of the way just as I'm getting the clippers in position. I can massage her little foot all I want, but the moment the clippers come out... You'd think Mowgli would be the nail-trimming problem child, but no....

I just keep the clippers close at hand and when either of my babies wants a snuggle session, I just start examining toesies when they get comfy, and if there's a long nail or two... Snip-snip! Problem fixed. It's rare to get all those little nails at once though.

Just aim for a toe or two at a time and praise the little darlings oodles when you get a nail clipped. Treats work wonders to in changing nail-trimming attitudes!

Clip, praise, treat, clip praise treat, etc.

My cats also act like I am killing them everytime I do it. I dont trim anymore (staying with my parents) because they need their sharp claws incase a cat fight persues. But they do act like wild things when I used to do it. I used to use a leash, and put it under each arm to hold them still. I would position them under my arm so that they couldnt really move. (such a big torturer here) lol I have done it since they were 5 weeks, and to this day, they still hate it. So no advice here. But it is normal to get bitten and clawed to death, and they ALWAYS scream, because they want to. I am sure it doesnt hurt them, but they like to think it does

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Where is that link to Jenluckenback instructions on this that she posted awhile back? (I have had NO luck today with the search for things....is the search thingie broke or am I THAT rusty?)

I clipped Yettas today and she didn't like it. I find mine don't like it either. They act like you are killing them, even when I attempt to put soft paws on them. I think they just don't want you messing with their feet and nails! PERIOD!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Originally posted by Laura's Babies
    Where is that link to Jenluckenback instructions on this that she posted awhile back?
    I saved those and use them for the big cats back claws but the kittens are too small to have that hold really help much
    Thanks for your help guys! I think Lacey has the right idea - a few nails at a time for now. I was trying to do the whole pedicure. They are usually so good about letting me play with their toes so I will try the sneak and clip a few approach so they don't stop letting me touch them! Sheesh - I wish you could see my hands and arms bloody road map!!!

They are not lil shits anymore They are cute

Jen's Tutorial

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    ...They are not lil shits anymore They are cute
    Oh, yeah. I forgot that, too. Just how FAST kittens can morf between the two states, I mean.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I'm not sure how fast cat's claws grow, but I clip the dog's (front and back) nails every week with their weekly bath/ear cleaning/brushing. If I don't, they just get too long.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Julie is finally figuring out that if she gives up wiggling about we get it done a lot quicker and she can go on her way. It just takes a little practice and timing. I try to catch her when she is in a relaxed mood. I usually do the front and back claws in separate sessions unless she is really cooperating with me.

Oh no! I can sympathise and relate! Little Evie thrashes and screams like you're killing her - just ask Jen... she tried to trim those little claws today and of course my young lady behaved like anything but a young lady! I'm not sure but I think Jen didn't quite get all those claws done!

Perhaps if you catch them in a sleepy state it would be better. Definately don't grab them while they had better things to do (teasing Elliot or chasing that nasty toy mouse)

I don't have much problem with the big cats (as long as Richard holds Jazz for me) but I haven't tried R&R yet and boy do they need it. Those little razors would make Freddie Kruger jealous. I guess I'll wait till their nice and relaxed in my lap tonight and give it try.

From Decker with Love

I think that Jen cheated and used the most docile cat to demonstrate the claw trimming.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Um ..... YEP, sounds pretty normal!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!